1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HELP! Combining 2 Radeon HD6850 Different brands & Clocks!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by SUPERREDDEVIL, Jun 8, 2012.

1. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there my friends! i wanna ask, if i can combine 2 radeons (HD 6850) but each card got different clock speeds (Core, memory) is there going to be any problem?

my actual card is this one:

MSI Radeon HD 6850 CYCLONE OC power edition 1Gb

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R6850-Cyclone-1GD5-Power-Edition-OC.html

and i wanna buy this one to make a crossfire:

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1Gb

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&psn=0001&pid=497&lid=1

or this one:

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1037&pid=1270&psn=&lid=1&leg=0

Those 2 sapphire got different clock speeds (one 900Mhz and the other 775Mhz) and my MSI too.

I need urgent advice and tips from you guys, any anwser will be really helpful

Tnx a lot and have anice day! (excuse my bad english)
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There should be no inherent problems with CrossFiring the two cards. I suppose it's a good idea to get another card that matches the clocks of your first card, though it really shouldn't matter.
    SUPERREDDEVIL says thanks.
  3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    no problem , it should work fine, im using an odder couple <check

as erocker says they work better oc,d/set to the same gpu and memory clocks
  4. dorsetknob

Thanks Received:
    No Problem
    the crossfire set up you end up with will default to the lowest spec individual card
    suggest you purchase one that is nearest to your original card spec's so as to maximize the crossfire potential of your intended set up
  5. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    the thing is that i cant afford and MSI one so i need to grab the sapphire one that is in stock in my country, and i can keep the factory clocks of both and got nice performance or its an obbligation to overclock or modify the sapphire or the other one clocks to get a stable performance? Thanks a lot for your responses!
  6. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, for CrossFire, your cards will run at its own clock speed, no downclocking.
    Only difference you will see is the faster card with have a slightly less load.

But in SLI, your card will automatically follow the lower clocked speed.
    cadaveca and SUPERREDDEVIL say thanks.
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    you should be able to get the slower card overclocked that high:), but lowering the fastest a bit wouldnt hurt, it would still perform v well

on radeons ,saphire trixx oc software works best and will go beyond limits on some/most
  8. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats nice to hear, and for power wattage, i got a corsair TX650W, 52amp. it should be enough for this 2 beasts? if need more specs on proc. memory, etc., be sure to watch mines :D power supply calculator gives me a 490w in full 100% system load
  9. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    will do, good luck

psu may be near its limit, it should power it fine, but might get flakey on higher overclocks
  10. okidna

okidna

Thanks Received:
    TX650 will do just fine.
  11. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    and my last question, (sorry to bother so much) my motherboard got 1 pci express 2.0 X16 and the second expansion slot is running at max x4, those 2 cards will going to run in x4 speed? or 16x? half? that hurt my performance?
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One will run at x8 or x16 and the other will run at x4. I would not recommend using CrossFire on this board. Boards that use x4 for the 2nd card have had a lot of problems with CrossFire in the past. Sorry for the bad news.
  13. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting but in a loooong investigation running on all websites i found this the most interesting, and for me the most definetely:

http://www.insidehw.com/reviews/graphics-cards/6178-crossfire-x8x8-or-x16x4-the-ongoing-dilemma

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html A BIG NICE EXAMPLE, PCI express 2.0 bandwith is a nice upgrade over 1.1 :)

i add that we are in 2012, a lot of new catalyst drivers and PCI express 2.0 and that means those past problems became solved over the years
    so im going to try that Xfire and have some fun. tnx to all for your responses and have a nice day! :D
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  14. bbmarley

Thanks Received:
    from my personal experience with using 6950s in crossfire x16 x4 it was awful and all i got was negativ4 scaling i would get more fps by disabling crossfire
    i had to get a new board for x8 x8 then it was like godmode
  15. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    There is no problem with running to different speed cards together in xfire. I ma doing just that with a Asus dark knight and a Dell oem reference card (4870's) with no issues what so ever.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. FierceRed

FierceRed New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just a thought I had upon reading all this, though it might be relevant to any difficulties:

Wouldn't this combination of two different core/memory speeds greatly increase the likelihood SUPERREDDEVIL will experience micro-stutter in all of his endeavours?

Yes, it has been stated numerous times that he should match the core/memory speeds across both cards, but the consequences if he doesn't hasn't nearly been raised enough.

SUPERREDDEVIL, be warned that not matching your card's speeds with each other may greatly increase the chances of micro-stutter you're going to experience in-games, as well as introduce weird ass flash based difficulties (youtube videos anyone?) when using the idle clocks on your desktop.
  17. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok so you recommend me to match the 2 video cards speeds? cause i can do that and it will be fine right?
  18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    ok if one runs higher speed in any value and the other doesnt, the one with the higher speed needs to match the lower speed so adjust the clocks of the faster card to match the lower card
  19. SUPERREDDEVIL

SUPERREDDEVIL New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i guess it will be no problem for the MSI card cause its overclocked and the sapphire dont, so i can lower its values to match sapphire, using the catalyst control center? :) tnx a lot!
  20. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    CCC or Afterburner

Reason why for that is because the Sapphire card may not be able to match the clocks of the MSI