1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help me choose the best GPU

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Shamonto Hasan Easha, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    I am looking forward to buying a GPU or two but I need to know which one. You see, I'll be having Asus Maximus Vi Formula and I want a GPU with best performance in best price. These are the choices, Asus GTX 760 DC II, MSI GTX 760 Hawk, MSI GTX 760 Gaming, EVGA GTX 760, Gigabyte GTX 760 2GD, or other GPUs under $550. I could also go for SLI but not CrossfireX. Oh, one more thing, I heard that there's brand compatibility issues like, an ASUS GPU will be more performing in Asus boards rather than other brand's boards. So, please recommend me the best. I want to be set off for more than 5 years with the same PC.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I would seriously consider going with one powerful single GPU card if you're budgeting $550. In fact wait and see what AMD's 290X is priced at. Some are speculating it will cost $600 and be capable of outperforming even the Titan.

Dual GPU setups can be hit and miss. You get great performance in some games, not so great in others, and there are usually driver problems along the way, not to mention excess heat with them being jammed close together like that.

Even if you insist on an Nvidia card, wait till the new AMD stuff releases. It might just cause some Nvidia price drops.

Shamonto Hasan Easha says thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Honestly GTX760 SLI is pretty sweet. Get Titan performance and more for like half the cost.

4. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Depending on where you live, 7950 might be a better deal. No problem with brands, MSI Gaming graphics card plays well with their Gaming motherboards but thats it.

5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    You don't mention the downside. Multi GPU setups are never as consistent in performance, or as hassle free on the driver end, as single GPU setups. And honestly, who really factors in the price of a Titan? We've all known for some time they're way overpriced, which is why only elitist with money to burn buy them.

After the new AMD cards launch, I doubt Nvidia will be able to keep such an inflated price on the Titan.

6. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
  7. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    I know you don't mean offence but i take umbrage at that statement. I'm not elitist but i own a Titan. Many people that bought A Titan had crossfire set ups they were tired of. How do you replace a hit and miss 7970 crossfire experience? Titan was the answer, giving 80-85% the performance at the same cost as two 7970's. I'm not elitist -it was a practical single gpu solution. I dont think they'll reduce the price no matter how the 290X performs. Titan is fully compute enabled - it is in all physicality a K20X workstation card with the ECC removed. Nvidia can't really afford to pee off their K20X customer by selling it hobbled at much less than it is now. GTX 780, now that can be lowered.

But on topic. The guy wants a card that will last 5 years. Easy - R9 290X. It's hardware tied to consoles and 'should' provide better gaming experience with the right developer support. For $550 that seems very close to the ballpark rumours about Hawaii's pricing.

The OP should wait to see what AMD's new gpu can do and at what price. Nobody should be buying a high end card right now with that about to come onto the stage.

8. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    If i were in your shoes right now, I will wait for new AMD gpu's......

BEST is a very wide word to use. You can always read reviews, comments and so on, but in the end, you will always decide.... and its all depending on your budget.... There is no sure future proof rig cause it all depends on your style of using computer.... after a year, games requirement go higher and higher.. new tech come always....

so if you dont mind spending alot, go with highest price gpu you can get.......

Phycs game, obviously go with green...

budget powerful card, AMD of course...

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. marsey99

marsey99

Thanks Received:
    i would look at 7950s over 760s with the latest prices tbh

hell for that money you could get 2 7970s and still have change in the uk atm.

10. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Wait a bit more for the new AMD GPUs
    That is what I am actually doing for myself :)
    GTX760 is a very good choice though

11. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    If I were buying a single card I'd be looking at the EVGA 780 GTX superclocked. It's a little over your budget ($660) but it matches up with Titan performance for almost 350 dollars less. It will also probably drop pretty decently in price over the next few months because ATI is releasing its new cards soon and supposedly Nvidia is releasing their 800 series cards first quarter next year instead of middle of the year.

That means if you can wait a bit you'll probably see these cards drop pretty decently after christmas. I would also recommend a single good card VS two less expensive cards. Having to constantly wait and update drivers is a hassle and even though two 770s is better than a single 780 or Titan it isn't by all that much. The 780 is on the same chipset as the Titan while the rest of the 700 series is on the same chipset as the 600 series cards.

Personally, I don't like the ATI drivers and I've really liked the last couple Nvidia cards I've had so they have won me over. But the new ATI cards will also be worth looking at when they launch if the kinds of games you enjoy are better for the AMD architechture.

12. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    I would say a MSI 760 Hawk would be the best bet. You should be able to squeeze a lot of performance out of it - while stays cool with that great cooler (quiet)

People - you are saying wait wait, do you forget this is PC hardware we are talking about? :p - blink and there is a new gen and price changes

13. Tonduluboy

Thanks Received:
    With $550 why not a single card GTX 680 4GB, less power consumption and able to survive for few yrs...

14. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Which one do you think will be better?
    -ASUS Matrix Platinum R9 280X
    or
    -Sapphire R9 280X Toxic?

15. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Between those two,probably the platinum but i would just get some thing simple like the MSI 280x Gaming or the Gigabyte Windforce 3.

16. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    i totaly dig Asus Matrix cards (even more Platinum) i owned a 4870 and 5870 Matrix before that a 9600GT Matrix i got my hand for a test on a 7970 Matrix

Actualy im running a SLI of Asus Matrix GTX580 Platinum (no need to upgrade eh??? :D)

Sapphire hum i only had a X800GT i cant say anything about that brand ... tho i used to love Sapphire Trixx for gpu tuning with near all my ATI/AMD gpu

17. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    New GPUs, new problems!

The new R9 290X have been released. Again, to counter that, the green camp released their ultimate, the GTX 780Ti. I know, the 290X is less performing than the 780Ti, but how about crossfire or SLI? I mean, how two Asus 770 poseidons would perform against 780Ti?

Anyway, some of my friends are telling that, the manufacturers won't be making 780Ti in its new look (like MSI's Hawk, Lightning or ASUS's Matrix or DirectCUII). Is that true? Will that come to the public as the stock design? And if it does, will it be worth buying them or should I think of SLI?

18. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    all 780Ti available at my etailer store are reference design... in stock and around 730chf (i feel sorry for the user who brought a Titan because NV positioned it as the "ultimate gaming card", at last the 780Ti doesn't have 6gb ram and DP capability) :D and partner ass to0 ... "boohh you dont have right to deviate from what we specify"(and i have a Zotac GTX 770 AMP!...)

btw ... the R9-290X isnt so far from the 780Ti even without crossfire.

why a Asus Poseidon? why be willing to pay a huge premium for something you can have for less?
    its allready out ? the release date was september 2013 and i see none on the market? its not even listed on Asus website (http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ROG_Series_Products/), strange. a simple factory OC 770 with a waterblock (or 2) would be fine (and cheaper i presume)

take a single ARES II (it would be about the same price :D) it still outperform the 780Ti and 690(in some cases) dual 7970ghz ed its like a cfx of R9-280X http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/ARES26GD5/

SLI CFX is really not that useful (mostly due to micro stuttering and tearing, more for AMD than NV) if you have the money to take the 780Ti, take it ... the reference design is good tho, and you can add a waterblock later, you want a R.O.G poseidon SLI of 770 ? naahhh just use that money to get a 690 or a 7990 or a ARES II (wich is, i repeat , not a 7990)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  19. TheGoat Eater

TheGoat Eater

Thanks Received:
    You might need to wait a while for custom 780Ti cards to come out - as per usual for this level of card.

20. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Hey, now which one is better? Nvidia released their G-sync, that says that you don't need that much power on GPUs to have your games play smooth, spend that money on a better monitor. We have the custom R9 290Xs coming in. So, if Asus releases their ROG 290X or happen to release 780 Ti DC2 TOP OC or whatever, which will be better to go for a compromise on a 1440p G-sync enabled monitor? And which monitor would be better, 1080p or 1440p (both have g-sync)?

21. ujansam3

ujansam3

Thanks Received:
    I would suggest taking a 1440p monitor(Asus PB27Q) and Custom R9 290X,Asus R9 290X DC2OC is coming soon.Custom 780 Ti cards are already out but the extra dollars are not worth it,AMD offers the best bang for buck.

22. KamChancellor

Thanks Received:
    GTX 780 Classified ACX Cooling.

23. bL1nd3R

bL1nd3R

Thanks Received:
    I would choose Asus GTX 760 DC II, i trust it.

24. Shamonto Hasan Easha

Shamonto Hasan Easha

Thanks Received:
    Now that we have AMD's R9 290 & 290Xs available, along with Mantle and probably upcoming FreeSync, which one's better?

1. AMD R9 290 or,
    2. AMD R9 290X

Same about the custom designed GPUs,

1. ASUS R9 290/290X DC2OC
    2. Gigabyte R9 290/290X Windforce 3X OC or,
    3. SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290/290X OC

...or should I wait for the Toxics to come from SAPPHIRE and ROG from ASUS or go for the GTX 780 Ti-s?

25. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The R9 290s Windforce cards have a manufacturing fault. The R9 290Xs are fine. The temps on balanced(VRM and core are both good) and they use over rated Elpida memory so the memory clocks OK.
    The Sapphires have higher VRM temps because the coils aren't properly cooled but the core temp is lowest. I have no idea on memory some hynix some Elpida.
    The ASUS cards are have the worst temps and the VRM is questionable since it only has 1 phase more than reference but all the components might be cheaper making it worse.
    So the best cards are the Gigabytes but there you have to buy the R9 290X or wait for the new revision of the R9 290 to start selling.
    Waiting for Toxics and ROGs is pointless because you'll hit cooling limits way too early to notice VRM limitations.

xvi says thanks.