1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help needed with symlinks please :)

Discussion in 'Storage' started by LifeOnMars, Jun 3, 2011.

1. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm looking to create the save folder for FEAR on another hard drive and not the one with the OS/game on it. I have downloaded the symlinker software but I can't get my head around what I need to do, can anyone help please :)

2. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    From a command prompt:

mklink /J "full_path_to_new_save_folder" "full_path_to_original_save_folder"

3. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK thanks, do I have to delete the original folder?

EDIT -

I am failing hard at this, this is the software I am using as I just don't get DOS -

[​IMG]

So do I want the path to the existing folder in the bottom and the new one on the other drive in the top. Also do I create it as a symbolic,hard or junction link?

And finally, do I have to have an empty folder created already on the target drive and do I have to delete the original data from the original save folder. :eek::shadedshu:D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  4. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    Move the save game data into the new folder first. Make a copy for a backup just in case anything happens.

Yes. Create it as a junction.

Yes.

Don't delete it, move it to the new folder. Make sure the permissions on the new folder match the old folder's permissions.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I'm doing something wrong, I can't get it working :( Just keeps creating a new folder when I start the game in the original location.

6. wrathchild_67

Thanks Received:
    Try using a symbolic folder link instead- same procedure outlined above. Apparently junctions are the old way of doing it.

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  7. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK followed a tutorial on Youtube and tried it out with a testfolder which worked but I'm still having issues getting it to work with the gamesave folder. Here is what I have typed -

C:\Windows\system32>mklink /d C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Monolith Productions E:\Monolith Productions

It says " The syntax of the command is incorrect" What does that mean? C drive is where I want the symbolic link and I want it to read and write data to the file on E so what is wrong?

8. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Problem sorted, thanks for your help. Thread can be closed.

9. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    I better explain how I sorted it actually before the thread is forgotten. Just in case anyone ever has the same problem.

The syntax error occurs if there are too many spaces in the command. I therefore had to add quotation marks like so -

[​IMG]

The top line is the correct entry which allowed the symlink to be created. Also note that originally my path was incorrect and that it had trouble finding.....public/public documents, I had to change it to public/documents/..... as you can see in the correct example above. Hope that helps someone on the old interwebz one day :)

streetfighter 2 says thanks.