1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[HELP] PC won't POST and it just keeps on "restarting"

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by adulaamin, Jul 29, 2014.

1. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Good day!

I need help with my PC. System specs are on the left. What happens is every time I press the power button, the PC lights up for 5 seconds then shuts down again then lights up again then shuts down again. No beeps and nothing displays on the monitor. It worked just a few hours before. I did a proper shutdown the last time I used it. What I've tried to do so far is just to clear CMOS by pressing the button on the IO panel on the board. I'm thinking it might be the PSU. The only thing is I don't have an extra PSU that I could try to test the system with. I'm planning to buy one maybe in next few days but before that, I would like to know what you guys think before I spend some money.

Thanks in advance!

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    Well, you anticipated the first step, and it really is to see if the same thing happens when connected to another PSU. Until then, you can start out unhooking everything non-essential to see if it still does the same thing. One memory, cpu, cpu fan, and gpu, although technically at this stage you don't even need GPU. If it still does this turning on and then right off again after that, try removing the motherboard from the case and set up on cardboard with just as few things. This is to eliminate possibility of a short on the backs side of the board with the case.

My suspicion is the voltage return on the motherboard not sending a complete signal back to the PSU, so it doesn't stay on.

adulaamin says thanks.
  3. awesomesauce

awesomesauce

Thanks Received:
    hmmm it can be many option.. try another psu, no bip? try to force bip: u remove all ram and see if it bip.

adulaamin says thanks.
  4. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    id be inclined to blame a bios setting but you a;ready reset the cmos. so its hard to guess where to go from there really,
    i would imagine most other hardware errors would bleep an error code. or light up an error code.

i would go re seating everything just in case though.

adulaamin says thanks.
  5. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll try booting w/o the video card and a single stick of RAM if it fixes the issue. I'll also try to post a vid of the PC as well.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:

Just to be sure, try multiple times. Put that one stick in each slot, and then try other sticks of RAM same way.

adulaamin says thanks.
  7. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Resetting the UEFI may not always work if it is somehow corrupted. Try to flash it (with the latest firmware) using the USB BIOS Flashback feature.

8. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Yup. I'll check each stick of RAM just to make sure.

It won't display anything on the monitor. Even if I press del or F2. It just keeps on rebooting.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    You don't need to start the pc to flash the uefi. Just put the PROPERLY NAMED BIOS on the root of a usb drive, put it in the SPECIAL usb port on the rear I/O panel (near the cmos clr switch), turn on the AC mains but don't start the pc. If the pc automatically starts after switching on the mains, then hold the start/shutdown button for a few seconds to initiate a forced shutdown. Then press the CMOS clr switch for a few seconds until it starts to blink. This will continue for about a min. After that, if you have trouble starting up, press the direct-to-bios switch on the motherboard to go directly to the UEFI, then reset to optimized defaults by pressing F5. Do also try without the GPU. And like others have said, try a minimalist barebones system with only the cpu, mb, and ram (try every stick on every slot - 1 at a time). Remove ALL storage.

Edit:
    I hope the monitor is OK. Verify by disconnecting it from the gpu and see if it lights up.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    adulaamin says thanks.
  10. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the info about the BIOS flashing. I didn't know that :toast:

The monitor is working and I'll be trying what the other have suggested.

awesomesauce says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Ok so I just got home from work. The damn PC won't work. I tried to switch it on but the power LED just flashes a bit and it turns off again. I removed the video card and used just a single stick of RAM. Just a question, which wires on the 24-pin mobo cable should I jump to switch on the power supply? Sorry I'm just using a phone to post msgs and it's a pita to type and search thru the net...

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    green and black. but what the hell for?

adulaamin says thanks.
  13. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Just to check if the PSU will turn on by itself? The wires are all black on yhe PSU.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    The reason he would do this is to eliminate the PSU as a culprit. If it works, his PSU is probably good, and the motherboard is likely the culprit.

@adulaamin: The wires should not be all black. Are you looking at the actual wires going to each pin of the 24 pin connector?

adulaamin says thanks.
  15. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Yup... on the Corsair AX650 all the wires are black...

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    wow, perhaps someone else here has experience with those...I don't have a clue how to guide you on that without the colored wires.

adulaamin says thanks.
  17. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll just sleep it over for now. Its 5am here I'll try some more testing later... thanks for all the replies! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Nabarun

Nabarun

Thanks Received:
    Right. But if you disconnect the 24-pin cable from the motherboard, you will have to connect *something* ... like a fan, directly to the psu to be able to tell that the psu is working. I hope you have the necessary 3-pin/4-pin to molex/sata etc connectors to do that. The fan on PSUs don't always run at lower loads. Not sure about this particular one though. BTW, did you try the USB BIOS flashback? And what happens with the "GO" button?

adulaamin and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  19. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

+1 Nabarun put load on the PSU with a fan

pin 16 Green & pin 17 Black
    Example
    24pin Power.jpg
    Note: 24 pin power that connects to motherboard

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    adulaamin and rtwjunkie say thanks.
  20. Shambles1980

Thanks Received:
    a psu will usually auto shut off if there is not enough of a load on it. i dunno if a fan is enough of a load. most use a old ide hdd

adulaamin and Law-II say thanks.
  21. rtwjunkie

rtwjunkie

Thanks Received:
    +1 to that. A load is necessary. I have left all fans connected to psu whenever i have tested this, and it provides enough of a load.

adulaamin says thanks.
  22. awesomesauce

awesomesauce

Thanks Received:
    goodnight adula, it can be a nightmare when u have no stock for testing (ie, ram,psu etc..) hope u find it bro!:)

adulaamin says thanks.
  23. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You've reset your BIOS right? My P9X79 Deluxe will sometimes do the same thing when I push my DRAM or IMC too hard.

adulaamin and awesomesauce say thanks.
  24. adulaamin

adulaamin

Thanks Received:
    Good day! I just finished testing the PSU with 4 fans and 3HDDs plugged in and it works just fine. I'm gonna have to download the BIOS later at work coz I dont have an extra PC here at home. I'll try what @Nabarun suggested with flashing the BIOS as soon as I get home. A friend of mine has an extra PC we could try to test the parts in although we'll only be able to do it on saturday coz of work constraints. I'll just try to clean everything up for now and disassemble and assemble the PC.

Law-II says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Take it all apart and bench test the MB with minimal hardware attached. Then start building one part at a time testing it as you go. You probably have one odd part causing it to shut down. Drive bay, sound card, heatsink, cable. I really doubt its your PSU

adulaamin says thanks.