• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help! When I unplug my Ethernet cable my network adapter freezes

midgetjoe

Hi, i have a 2 part problem thats connected. For starters I have an ASUS 1201N Netbook (the original seashell one), it has 4gbs of ram, win 7 64bit, and the rest is stock.

The problem started when i moved into my new appt complex, they require internet be plugged in to the main router directly with an ethernet cable form the wall. From there there's a quick login screen via html and internet access, which works fine. The problem is that sometimes when i unplug the ethernet cable to move the netbook or take it to school or connect to a wireless network the computer doesnt recognize that its been removed (this happens most often when the computer is asleep and i unplug it and then wake it up). Everything still runs fine but the ethernet adapter seems to have just frozen, no amount of attempting to reset, reconnect etc seems to be working. when i try to shut down the computer it stalls at the "shutting down" screen forever. The only way to get it off is to hold the power button and kill the power. Which brings me to my second problem...

When i bought the computer it had already had the extra 2 gigs of ram added and i installed win 7 64 bit. i had an intial problem with the "hardware reserved" memory (it was only allowing me to use 700MB of ram while the rest was labeled as "hardware reserved". I was able to fix that problem by tweaking the settings in the boot menu of MSConfig. The current problem is that everytime i shut down the computer by killing the power it resets to only recognizing only 700MB of ram, with the amount of stuff i have on the computer there is no way it can function on 700MB. I try starting in safe mode and tweaking the settings in MSCONFIG again (the settings still are the way they're supposed to be but i fiddle with them and then revert them etc), eventually after tons of really long tiring restarts it seems to fix itself. I have no idea what im doing thats fixing it and there doesnt seem to be a pattern (its happened 5 or 6 times now).

Does anybody have any idea whats going on and how i can fix it? it's really frustrating....