1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with choosing compatible motherboard

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Newbisan, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Newbisan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all. Well, I was an idiot today and tried plugging something into my motherboard where I guess it wasn't supposed to go, and my computer died instantly. I'm going to check my power supply, but I'm pretty sure the motherboard is fried.

I built my computer two years ago using a website's recommendations, as it was my first build. Basically, I'm ok at following instructions but do not know a whole lot about motherboards in general. I need to buy a new, updated motherboard that will still work with all my components that I bought new two years ago.

My current (dead) motherboard is a Gigabyte, model ga-z68x-ud3h-b3. Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00518M74I/?tag=tec06d-20

I need advice on purchasing a new motherboard that would be pretty much compatible with this one in regard to components. Again, I know very little about mobos, so perhaps anything would pretty much work or maybe the tech has changed enough where I need to be selective.

Some of my current hardware include:
    RAM: Corsair-Vengeance 2-Pack 4GB DDR3 DIMM Desktop Memory Kit-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
    Graphics: VGA EVGA|01G-P3-1567-AR GTX560TI 1G
    Intel processor but don't recall what I have exactly (I'm at work).

Any recommendations are very much appreciated, thank you for your help!

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would hazard a guess that you are looking for a 1155 board. Get any Z77/Z68 board will be fine, and stay off the bargain basement ones. What did you plug in?

3. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Some good ASRock Mobos out there normally for a really nice price.

I take it that the Giga is not under warranty still ?, a lot of mobo's have like 3 years on them.

4. Newbisan New Member

Thanks Received:
    AsRock: It may be under warranty, I'll have to check. Later reviews showed the board had issues, so I may just want an upgrade regardless.

Fourstaff: Umm I plugged a fan LED into the CI+ slot. Don't ask me why. Dumb, dumb, dumb :banghead:

5. Newbisan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I came in this afternoon and the computer was miraculously on. So I'm guessing it was/is a power issue and not the mobo. Thank God. No idea tho why it still wouldn't turn on at 11 am but did at 5.