1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Help with iexplorer.exe?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by stevednmc, Aug 26, 2011.

1. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if this is the right place to post, but my girlfriend is having an issue with iexplorer.exe. In the task manager it shows it running the cpu at 97 percent or so, and the memory usage for the task is through the roof. I can shut it down but it comes back and the memory usuage goes up again. I tried running Kaspersky and it found no threats and ran CCleaner with no results. This is a pretty fresh install of windows 7 32 bit, about a month old and she isnt running or installing and downloading a whole lot. Any ideas?

Thanks!:banghead:

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    its either a virus, or a program has borked windows causing problems. i'm leaning to the latter.

just reinstall the OS.

3. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, either it was caused by something you installed lately or its a virus like stated ^. Try a system restore first, and if its still there, chances are its a virus, then nuke time!

4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the obvious of rebooting the PC?

5. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, i ran Kaspersky and it didnt find anything. Also it happens consistantly for the last several days, reboot or not.

6. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    If it is indeed iexplorer.exe and not iexplore.exe, then it is certainly a virus. Find where it's at, boot in safe mode, then delete it.

95Viper says thanks.
  7. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    In that case, I recommend going for the nuclear option and reinstalling. You could try searching the Microsoft knowledgbase about this first, though. Make sure your data's backed up before you do this, of course.

You could try the following things:

1 Run it in safe mode. Is it ok? Run it in safe mode with networking. Still ok? Try VGA mode and see what happens

2 Run MSCONFIG and disable everything under the Services and Startup tabs and then reboot

3 Run Windows Update and install all important updates. This is a long shot though and I wouldn't expect this to fix it

Think hard: do you or the girlfriend remember any weird shit happening to it just before IE went nuts? It's possible that Windows could be infected by a drive-by virus on an infected website.

Let us know how you get on.

8. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks much! I will explore it more tomorrow and see what i can find. I dont use her laptop so i cant say what specifically triggered this. Most likely facebook. She loves all those flash games!

9. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    there are definitely viruses available on facebook, most of them badly coded and dont really do anything. since its internet explorer that died, its quite possible one of them tried to do something, failed, and just killed IE.

(its also possible a screwed up install of flash or java or another plugin from a randomly installed program is whats broken it, but it didnt kick in until a reboot so she didnt associate her actions with the problem)

10. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah, makes sense. She can still get online and all that, but the process is eating a ton of resources...slowing it down big time.

11. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It could be a script running in an infinite loop too.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Like a Java script or something like that? How might I check for that?

13. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    You could try scanning with MalwareBytes, I have found the program very usefull at times especialy when my AV scanner dosen't pick anything up.

14. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have in fact scanned with malwarebytes. Also CCleaner, and Kaspersky antivirus. Whatever it is it is wiley!

15. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    If you can access the suspicious files, then, run them through Virustotal to see if the multiple scan engines there pick up anything.

Also, try Superantispyware.
    If, the virus/trojan interferes with the download or running try the portable version.
    Quote from the site:
    As a last resort, before a re-install you could try ComboFix.