1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

high spec new build?

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by fryup, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys, now i maybe jumping the gun a bit but am planning a new build that im gonna buy the parts for in early september. just a few questions really. Im gonna be using it mostly for 3ds max and photoshop but also want a fairly high end gaming machine. so im looking at new quad core Q9450's, probly the new ati 4870. planning to run vista 64bit with 8 gig ram at mo (possibly wanting to up it in future) and probably a 24inch widescreen. my main problem is the mobo as im planning to overclock they system and not sure which to go for, had been lookin at intel p45 boards?. also are there many good overclockable 4 gig ram sticks out there or would i have to fill up my ram slots with 2gig sticks? motherboard wise im probably looking to spend 100 to 150 quid?
    also...although obviously new techs always comin etc are there any major advances/hardware comin onto the scene in next couple of months? stupid question i know but still..

cheers for any help advice you can give.

phil

2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good question!:toast: Yes, Intel has a new platform coming out in Q4 of this year. Prices come September will be quite different, and I'm sure you will be able to get your hands on a great OC'ing P45 board on the cheap by then.

fryup says thanks.
  3. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The new intel procs may be arriving in September. They eliminate the fsb, have direct triple-channel ddr3, and the $300 chip is a quad core w/ 8 threads running at the same speed as the q9450. In other words, they will put current quads to shame in many respects. Definitely wait for that, if not to get it then to at least enjoy the lower prices of the Core 2 line. Like I said, Septemeber is the current rumor, but it may not be until november.

fryup says thanks.
  4. aharvey

aharvey New Member

Thanks Received:
    the ATI 4870x2 should be out by then as well. food for thought.

fryup says thanks.
  5. fryup New Member

Thanks Received:
    cheers guys, always something else coming out isnt there! have had quick look into these new processors. seems probably will be bit outta my price range plus knowing realease dates prob will be put back more times! also not thinkin i can afford a large amount of ddr3 ram.
    i think i'll wait for core 2 quads and p45 mobos to come down in price a little and go that route for time being. maybe another upgrade this time next year when new procs are etablished and prices are down a bit!

cheers for help.

6. ENIAC

ENIAC New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also, I understand they will be dropping the Q9450 in that time frame. They'll be adding a Q9400 part.