• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hitachi Travelstar 7200rpm 7K200 200gb kit on clearance at Best Buy

If anyone is interested in a 7200rpm laptop drive, Best Buy has these on clearance in the kit form, not just bare drives. You get an enclosure which you use to duplicate your current drive (and software to do so), then you take your old drive out of the computer and it becomes an external hard drive. Prices seem to vary a few bucks by location but it averages $111 around here.

I bought one of these yesterday and put it in my HP DV2000 series after cloning it. I'm running a Turion 64x2 TL-52, 2gb ram, Vista home premium. I cloned the existing drive, popped this one in and it works quite a bit faster, bootup is much faster than the Seagate that was in there.

It runs no warmer (actually seems cooler than the Seagate), it hasn't impacted the battery life that I can tell (I'm at just about 3 hours now w/ 30% still remaining running HP recommended scheme), it ran just about 4 1/2 hours before and thats probably where this one would end up (I use a high capacity battery).

If it holds out it wasn't a bad deal. If you're interested most of the locations around here had a couple left. It keeps my relatively small laptop operating pretty quick, my goal of course being relatively quick performance in a small laptop with long battery life, your needs might vary from that.

Sandra benchmarks are pretty impressive for a laptop hard drive, and it makes things much snappier feeling over the 5400rpm drives I've used in the past. Still no match for the dual 250gb jobs in RAID 0 on the desktop but its quite impressive on the laptop and will be hard to go back from this.

$111 was about $3 cheaper than I could find here online and its for the whole kit so you get the nice little external enclosure which I used so I have an exact backup of what is on here.