• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Horizontal lines on hdtv

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I'll ask anyway to be sure. To the extent it matters, this is a Sony Bravia KDL 50R550A that I've had for about 15 or 16 months.

OK, so the problem is that it's developed a few closely spaced, very thin horizontal lines on the display. I figure that this means that either the controller for that row of leds or the leds themselves have burned out.

What's a little strange is that only a couple of the lines seem to be persistent. The other lines tend to disappear and the bottom part of the picture underneath then moves up slightly. This happens every couple of seconds.

So basically what I expect is that folks are going to tell me that the tv is on it's last legs and time to toss it, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

Also I'm a little miffed that the circuits only lasted a little more than a year. Needless to say I won't be buying another Sony product anytime soon and I'm beginning to understand all of the hate I've been hearing about.

You'd think I would have learned my lesson with the Sony camera I bought years ago, but no. My first HDTV was a Sony projection model that died twice during the 5 or 6 years that I had it. But that at least was a much better average lifespan than what I've seen from this tv. I mean damn. I have stink bugs flying around here that I think are older than the television. LOL.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Take a pic of screen

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I would, but it's not going to show much more than what I've described. Plus I've tried taking pics of tv screens before and they never come out very good. And these lines are so fine I'm not sure they would show up very well. The only way you might notice is if I shot a video and all that would show is the bottom part of the picture jumping. If there's some in particular you want me to trouble shoot, I'll do what I can on my end of course.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Run the GPU-z render test and see if the lines go away

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
OK. Not sure how to do that 0.8 though. Don't see a question mark next to the bus field.

Never mind - it was off the edge, found it. Yes the lines are still showing up.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I had a TV with horizontal lines and I tried replacing all of the innards of the TV to fix it. I believe my conclusion was that the panel was shot. If you want to try plugging something else in to it, especially on a different source (e.g. HDMI 1 instead of HDMI 2), you can.

I could probably dig up where I bought those parts from if you want to attempt to do the same. If the parts don't fix it, you can return them for your money back (no restocking fee). If it is the panel though, it's cheaper just to buy a new TV generally.

System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Thanks. Yeah, that's what I suspect. I think the problem actually started a few months ago and I just didn't realize it. Sometimes I'll pause something for long periods of time while I'm reading or whatever and it looked like the screen was moving from the corner of my eye. I though maybe I had set it to slow motion, but no, it was still but there was some barely perceptible motion. But I didn't notice any defects in the screen. That's probably when it started and it's just gotten worse.

I have definitely tried different inputs though and it's the same problem. I even thought that maybe it was the receiver since most of the inputs go through that so I routed one directly to the set but nope. Same thing.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I distinctly remember on the TV I worked on that it did it with no source plugged in at all, just turned on and it stood out like a sore thumb. If you can get in to the menus, are the menus affected by it too?

Could the "moving" have been caused by the LEDs flickering?

Edit: Not sure if this is the right website but they list power supply, T-Con, and main video. I don't think replacing any of those parts would fix the problem--it's the panel.

For the record, the LEDs/CFLs are always part of the panel itself. They're not designed to be replaced.

Last edited:
System Name octo1
Motherboard Supermicro
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
Yup. Happens even in full screen menus. Thanks for the links but I'm not going to try to fix this myself. I've never had much luck doing that sort of thing and I'd be pretty clueless anyway just poking around and whatnot. [Sigh] Time for a trip to Costco I guess. I kind of regretted not getting a 55" instead of the 50" anyway so now I have an excuse to upgrade I suppose. Plus Costco has a nice Samsung that's about 25% off right now if they still have it in stock.