1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hotel Infinity paradox (your brain will hurt, promise)

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    x/0
  2. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Gravity propagates at the speed of light.
  3. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    lol at the posts about infinity
  4. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes general relativity says so. But it's confusing just like a spooky action at a distance.

Actually gravity cheats. It acts immediately because of the curvature of space-time. And even tho its speed is finite (c) it acts faster than light. In quantum mechanics word "faster" means using a shorter route, not having a faster velocity. Cosmic laziness, Geodesic Lines, Non-Euclidean Geometry and all that jazz .... you know.

To get the answer we need to know all the theories: General Relativity, Special Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, Quantum Gravity Theory, Theory of Everything, M-Theory, Expanding Space-Time Theory, Supersymmetry, String theory (D-Branes), Unified field theory. Unfortunately the current status of all these theories is incomplete.

Ellipsoid has different r along each axis (for 3D it's a, b, c when a=b=c it's sphere), in that case for every dimension there has to be a separate r.

String theory and supersymmetry theory say that our universe is 10D. After the Big Bang 3 dimensions grew bigger but other extra 7 dimensions remained tiny, hence undetectable.

I digress but here's an interesting snip:

In a nutshell: we are stuck in 3D space (there are other dimensions tho), but gravity can "leak" into other dimensions, and even from there it can affect our world. And our world with all its interactions also depends on the shape of those tiny dimensions. Some scientists think that extra dimensions got something to do with dark matter and energy. And maybe it's even possible to create a "shortcut" (wormholes) through the extra dimensions to our world, in that case we could travel with infinite speed and immediatley appear in any desirable spatial and maybe even time destination.

Wow my post is huge
  5. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    It is very possible. Google can be your friend
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. horik

horik

Thanks Received:
    I think infinity is impossible so getting a right answer about question related with it is impossible.The question is stupid,if you try to answer you are accepting that there can be more infinities in the space of 1. This is like asking:if a ship flies at an infinite speed,another ship flying at double that speed would be faster?I go to sleep e_e
  7. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know that. As I said, same concept but different constants. I went with an sphere to make explaining the concept easier and I guess I didn't explain myself properly anyway. Well, mentioning the sphere, I was just trying to explain the concept of "living in a surface", you know, to draw a parallelism between g (on Earth's surface) and c on our apparent universe. Speed of light could be any value, even infinite in the broader universe, and our apparent universe might just be that one (subset) in which c=300000 km/s.

Yeah, and isn't there one that says there's 23? What I think is that we don't really know how many dimensions are there in the universe. And whenever we find out exactly how many are there in "our universe", if we happen to live in a "subset" of a broader universe we might never find out how many are there on top of the ones that define our universe.

For example a living being that belongs to a universe with only 2 spatial dimensions would be able to sense or explain a 3rd dimension? Since his universe is just as "defined" by the lack of a 3rd dimension as he is, would he even theoritize about it's existence?
  8. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    I disagree , There are an infinite number of assholes on this planet .
    AlienIsGOD, Jizzler and qubit say thanks.
  9. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    That number is actually easily bounded, thus not infinite :D
  10. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL that is funny . :D
  11. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    26 to be exact but that's for bosonic string. And only 10 for the superstring (particles + interactions, aka our regular universe which modelled as vibrations of tiny supersymmetric strings).

Theorizing is always possible because knowledge science intuition and imagination ain't limited. Let's take simplex. 4D simplex is a pentachoron. Even it's hard to imagine but it can easily be formulated through the geometry. Well mathematically everything is always easier than visually.
  12. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok yes, it could be theorized to an extent, but it wouldn't form part of science, even if someone could come up with something crazy, because it wouldn't be able to be proven or falsified. That's what I meant. For example, if "speed of light" (in the broad sense, the maximum speed that a non massive particle can achieve) is actually a dimension, or something affected by one dimension, and that just happens to be constant through our universe (maybe because that's in fact the trait that sets appart our universe from others). How could we prove it? c would still be constant in our universe, and if we have no means to "trascend" our universe I don't see how could we theorize something like that. If only c is affected by that dimension (or is the dimension itself) and it's constant for us, that's the end of it.
  13. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    That's why scientists work on Grand Unified Theory. We can't even explain mass, we can't explain gravity. We can't find Higgs or graviton. We can't say will proton decay or not. Many things ain't proven it doesn't mean we have to chuck Standard Model or relativity. It all can be explained sooner or later. For that they just need to work in different directions such as supersymmetry, quantum mechanics, string theory and so on. And finally find something general which could be integrated into TOE (theory of everything). Extra dimensions, dark matter and dark energy shouldn't scare us off.
  14. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Btw we've just recently found evidence for the Higgs Boson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...on-First-hard-evidence-God-particle-CERN.html
  15. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    inifnity / 0 = mind blown
  16. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Infinity goes on for ever so you can never fill up infinity. If new guests arrive then they would all have to move up rooms and those rooms would be filled up in an endless cycle because you could never fill them up. All those rooms all instantly exist at the same time.

At the same time every infinite room is already taken up so there can be no more room, which is why its a paradox.
  17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    I see that people's brains are hurting nicely here. Don't worry my friends, the finest minds in science couldn't fully get it either and more than one went nuts trying...

Now, just try getting your heads around infinitesimals: teeny tiny non-zero values infinitely close to zero that you can never measure... :D
  18. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Or trying warping your head around the fact that there is no such thing as the present, only the immediate past and imminent future.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Present

Although I must point out early the grammatical meaning of the word does exist.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  19. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Yes because space-time is descrete (Planck time 10^-44 s and Planck length 10^-35 m as building blocks). Quantum mechanics might suggest that space-time is a quantum and not continuum thing. We know that space-time can be affected by gravity so maybe space-time is made of quantums and has a mass.
  20. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Hey, trust a thread about infinity to go on and on.

Think about it. ;)
  22. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    pantherx12 says thanks.
  23. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Google can be everyone's friend if they care enough to use it. :slap: