1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How can tell the difference between an MLC and SLC SSD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by Mega-Japan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mega-Japan

Mega-Japan New Member

Thanks Received:
    This might sound like a silly question, but when I'm on retailers like Newegg and check out the bunch of SSD's they have in there, most don't have whether they're based on MLC or SLC technology.

I used to think "More $$ + Low Storage = SLC" but I don't know anymore. At least some OCZ ones which are very expensive and average space.

Maybe I can also go by the R/W speeds? But I'd still get confused with those MLC at average speeds and high $$ >.>'
  2. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, it is hard to determine. For the most part you can tell by the price, MLC drives are going to be twice the cost of SLC drives(or higher).

In Newegg, look at the bottom left area of the page and click the tab for "Manufacturer Info", then click the link for "Manufacturer Product Page". You can normally find more information there.

:toast:
  3. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Read the product specifications on the manufacturer's website. In most cases, it should be mentioned. If not, contact the manufacturer. If not, choose another brand that makes it clear what's in the box.