1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how can we benefit from crossfire or sli

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by catstone, Aug 31, 2006.

1. catstone New Member

Thanks Received:
    crossfire / sli is a solution to premote the performance of video-subsystem. But anyhow, i raise a concern about the doubled cost. and further on, the benefit of a crossfire or sli system vs. single carded system.
    1/with doubled input, how much more can we get in pecentage?
    2/the benefit of crossfire/sli is based on the supportance of specific software. there might be much promotion through testing softwares. but during daily appliance, can we gain that promotion? eg. when i play WOW, can i benefit from cf./sli?

2. gR3iF

gR3iF New Member

Thanks Received:
    atm a benefit is only there in higher resolution "a real improvement"
    so something like 1900x1600 turn everything on then a single 79gtx or a x19xtx will go down
    a crf/sli system will do it
    the other way is buy a cheap card (7600gt/1800xt) buy a second for crf/sli and you have the performance of a x1900xtx

in some way that make sense but mostlikely for a new system build buy a single card that makes your system happy.

dont forget that not everything is gpu so your ram and your cpu will do some work too
    so 2gb ram and a conroe e6600 might be a good choiche for a "good" sli/crf system

you see my point?

3. catstone New Member

Thanks Received:
    i got it,thx.
    but i still wonder if cf./sli could help in any applications. i heard that many applications can't support cf./sli, then as a result, the second card would be a total waste when running those programs.

4. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    what 'applications' are you thinking about specifically?

obviously there's no point running x1950 crossfire if your only gonna be typing letters out in microsoft word.