1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How do I create a bootable flash drive?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by forumlulz, Mar 8, 2009.

1. forumlulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I am looking for assistance with creating a bootable flash drive out of my 1GB Nano. I could really use some help. I have an old Dell Inspiron 1100 with no CDROM drive. I've Googled and have only found a few leads but they're not very good.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Create-an-XP-Bootable-USB-Flash-Drive&id=1484353
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Bootable-USB-Flash-Drives-and-How-to-Create-Them&id=1413135

I just want to do this low-level and dirty (if you will). The goal would be to place XP Pro (in order to install on the laptop) onto the drive along with Active@'s Password Recovery tool (both of which I have).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  2. forumlulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    So...yeah, anyone?

3. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    forumlulz says thanks.
  4. forumlulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    I usually create bootable CD-R's but that's not useful in this case. I have the files needed to make a bootable CD-R from an ISO image. Can I just create the ISO and then somehow write it to the iPod?

I've downloaded HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool. I found that via another thread on this forum.

5. forumlulz New Member

Thanks Received:
    God dammit, man. Here, this is yours. You have earned it!

http://www.sallybernstein.com/food/columns/zonis/Best_Cookie-20.jpg

*might you know how much space these files take up if one were to incorporate mouse, cdrom, and other support? The windows install is about 675MB.

Oi, now I need to find out what's best to do...just copy the i386 folder to the drive or...?

6. forumlulz New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Conflict0s

Conflict0s

Thanks Received:
    Just some advice, not all pen drives you can boot from. I saw one review where a guy tried 8 pen drives (expensive and non expensive) and he found that the cheaper ones actually allowed you to boot from them.
    Also you might want to have a look into "Mojo" for iPod, it isn’t really booting into an OS, and it is more going into an OS "Screen" from another OS. But word of warning, I found it not as fast as I wanted it to.

8. nepenthe New Member

Thanks Received: