1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how do ya take a screen shot?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by nora.e, Jul 1, 2007.

1. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm got Window xp home sp2, and am running CPU-Z I'm trying to figure how to take a screen shop of it like seen on some of the case mod and OC treads. Have already tried hitting the "print screen" key. Works in games but did nothing here. What next?
  2. pbmaster

pbmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Press PrtScrn(print screen), open paint and paste. Crop down to desired size. Save. Easy as that.
    nora.e says thanks.
  3. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    u can use paint just press it and paste it to paint

aww they beat me :p
  4. quasar923 Guest

ha i just posted a thred just the same as this not too long ago
  5. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    TPUCapture Screenshot Utility v1.6! As simple as pressing a single key or a key combo to take either a fullscreen or windowed screen capture. :rockout: Plus it has built in image hosting capabilities that lets you upload the image to TPU for webhosting!

[​IMG]
    nora.e says thanks.
  6. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im using snagit, its more of a professional tool rather than the ideas i see here but those two the guys mentioned will do the trick for ya.
  7. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen a bunch of professional tools in use where I work, but damn. For daily randomness and sending screenies over AIM and stuff, theres just NO WAY to compete with TPUCapture.

Its just too damn sexy. :cool:

I want an OS X version :'(

Perhaps I will be able to port it. :D
  8. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an small tool made for people that want something easy to use and thats its goal i think.
  9. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Or, use Print Screen for full-screen screenshots, and use Alt + Print Screen for windowed screenshots. No cropping necesarry for the windowed ones of course, but you still need paint or similar to save the shots.
  10. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    hit the prtn screen button on your keyboard. Paste it in paint or whatever art program and save it as a jpg or another compression file. There yago.
  11. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    3 people posted the same solution...I wonder if you guys read the entire topic or not :p
  12. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    PrtScrn button then paste in something (paint, irfanview, ps) and save.
  13. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    4 posted the same answer...Anyone else ? LOL
  14. nora.e New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey I've heard some where that pressing print screen, then pasting to paint and save is a good way to take and save a screen shot, is this realy true?!!!

(Sorry the door was open and I just coulden't help bein' an ass!)

Thanks All!
  15. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just dont get the usability of someone posting an answer already posted a few minutes ago :)
  16. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not to be rude, but I just don't get why you have to comment on it :)
  17. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, you see, some people use the same method, and this thread reveals that. Such information is useful to people to get a clearer picture of the most commonly used method.

Continually mocking those who try to contribute such information, unfortunately, degrades a community rather quickly.
  18. Dippyskoodlez New Member

Thanks Received:
    But it also results in needless spam and useless posts.

You shouldn't need a sample of what people use.

Multiple people posting the same thing doesn't mean a method is better. Its just repeating the same thing over and over.

And to anyone else, please read the thread.
  19. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, a useless post is telling someone that the technical advice they took the trouble to provide, even if already provided, is needless spam and a useless post.

It also tends to discourage people from posting technical advice in the future.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  20. Ripper3

Ripper3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, that's kinda trolling.
    Plus, I actually posted how to take a screen shot with just one window, without much need for cropping :) so I had new information, heheh.

Anyhu, yeah, unless someone has a new program for taking screenshots to post up, then I'd say this thread shouldn't need more responses, as Dippyskoodlez said, read the thread.
  21. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    My friend when i ask something and i get a VALID answer why must 4 more people post the SAME VALID answer ? To prove what ? That they also know the answer ? And who tells me that they aint just Copy - pasting it to prove that they know it ? So you see its USELESS to post the SAME thing OVER AND OVER.
  22. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:

Wow, I can't believe how closed minded you are being. This is a community of people, with a common interest in computers. When a topic is brought up, including a "how do I...." topic, it fosters a discussion.

That discussion will become an entity of it's own, far beyond the simple act of answering the original question, which will surround itself with the original premise. There will, of course, be repetition in methodologies, but when elaborated upon, nuances of difference will emerge.

As such, there is much to be learned beyond the original simple question, including the participants learning from each other different methodologies. More importantly, it will cause the participants to interact with each other, further strengthening the knowledge of and interaction with the community.

To be honest, I can't believe I actually have to explain such a simple concept to you.

I mean seriously, are you such a control freak that you have to disrespect those of us who are trying to be part of this community because you do not consider our contributions as "valid"? That is truly sad.

If such is the case, then TPU is certainly unlike any of the other computer forum communities I have belonged to in the last 10 years, hell, it is unlike *any* community I have ever been a part of.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
    russianboy says thanks.
  23. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are Disrespecting the person that FIRST answered the question by answering the Same question with the Same answer he did.
    If you were in a Class and the teacher asked something and a guy answered would you get up and give the same answer ? Doubt it...Same applies here :)
  24. Jonnycat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Each person responding with the "use print screen" has done so in their own manner, with their own pattern of speech, each of which will carry a different effect on other people.

Further, each person responding with the "use print screen" has expanded beyond this to include other relevant information.

One guy said to use paint

One guy said to use snagit

One guy brought up the difference between "print screen" and "alt printscreen"

One guy mentioned that you can use any art program

One guy said to use irfanview or photoshop

Each of these respondants has added something to this conversation which contributes to the topic. Further, each of these respondants has taken part in this community.

To disrespect each of these respondants by insulting their effort in contributing is something I just don't understand the motivation behind, but regardless of the cause, the effect is something which serves only to take away from the contributions of, and participation in, this community.
  25. demonbrawn

demonbrawn New Member

Thanks Received:
    using the TPU utility is the most resourceful in my opinion.