1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to and if i can use a router for PPPOE ?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Cvrk, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    I got a dial-up internet connection at home,via a user and password.It seas when i am connected WAN Miniport(PPPOE).
    My best guess is that from outside my house in a box there is a modem,witch from there comes the cable that enters my house & my computer.
    My question is can i use a router to give internet to my computer and other computers in my house ?
    I want to purchase a wireless router that has 1x WAN & 4xLAN. What does that mean? I out the internet cable in the WAN port and the other computers in the LAN ports ? Also I need to insert the user and password in the Router software ?
    If this is all correct ? What kind of router should I buy? obviously i don't have all the money in the world and there so many types out there.
    On the one that I wanna buy it seas
    Port LAN/WAN 10/100 Mbps
    Standard 802.11 b/g/n
    Antena 1x 5 dbi
    VPN VPN Pass Through
    DNS DDNS support
    Frecventa 2.4 GHz
    No idea what these things mean.
    Also there is this,witch tells me that it's good
    Supported protocols: Dynamic
    Static
    PPPoE (i think i need this one)
    PPTP
    L2TP
    Built-in DHCP server

I have been reading on the forum ,and found out that i need for best wireless security my router to have WPA / WPA2 security. And I need IP QoS for efficient bandwidth distribution. Is that true ?
    I am considering to buy a Router wireless TP-Link TL-WR740N

So hoping some expert will have the patient to talk to me.... Oh gosh! (¬_¬)
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Cvrk says thanks.
  3. kn00tcn

kn00tcn

Thanks Received:
    you mean you have DSL internet? not dialup as in the term people used in the past for 56k modems over the telephone line?

i'm dsl, uses PPPoE, so that's correct, you just put your account info that the ISP told you & enter it into the router's admin area

WPA is the wireless security to use yes, but if you dont plan to use any wireless devices & are going to use ethernet to plug your computers in, might as well turn off the wireless feature in the router's admin area

some extra 'security' i do is i have a max number of clients that can connect to the router, a MAC whitelist filter to only allow devices i specify to connect, & i hide the SSID which is the name of the network that shows up to anyone scanning for a network (this technique is minor, since you can get software to scan for all wireless activity & get the name anyway, but for most people, it wont be seen by neighbors in things like the windows wireless settings)
    Cvrk says thanks.
  4. Cvrk

Cvrk

Thanks Received:
    Thank you both for your input. Much appreciated!
  5. McSteel

McSteel

Thanks Received:
    Slap Gargoyle on it, and enjoy the extended capabilities and drastically increased stability.