• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to: bystander NPCs.

System Name DLSS / YOLO-PC
Processor i5-12400F / 10600KF
Motherboard Gigabyte B760M DS3H / Z490 Vision D
Cooling Laminar RM1 / Gammaxx 400
Memory 32 GB DDR4-3200 / 16 GB DDR4-3333
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT / RX 480 8 GB
Storage A couple SSDs, m.2 NVMe included / 240 GB CX1 + 1 TB WD HDD
Display(s) Compit HA2704 / Viewsonic VX3276-MHD-2
Case Matrexx 55 / Junkyard special
Audio Device(s) Want loud, use headphones. Want quiet, use satellites.
Power Supply Thermaltake 1000 W / FSP Epsilon 700 W / Corsair CX650M [backup]
Mouse Don't disturb, cheese eating in progress...
Keyboard Makes some noise. Probably onto something.
VR HMD I live in real reality and don't need a virtual one.
Software Windows 10 and 11
So, you are a young, ambitious, and explosive game developer?
Want your game to destroy the competition?
Only dream of the highest quality features in your projects?

Here you go!

The ideal bystander NPC:

• Moves as fast as other bystanders, unless something extreme is going on. This doesn't matter what shoes they wear, they will walk 3 something MPH both on stupid high heels and on running sneakers.
• Never gets tired of running. Even if this NPC looks like they died long before you were born. Even if you've seen them smoking. They just boost and run away from you because apparently stamina is only limited if you're a protagonist.
• Clips into anything that remotely resembles a thing you can't realistically pass through. 9 and 3/4th FTW!
• Starts freaking out every time you shoot or throw a grenade, or kick anything. It doesn't matter you stopped doing suspicious things five playthroughs ago, they will freak out forever. And loud.
• Drives like a complete anxiety disorder quintessence. 50 MPH in the fast lane, 20 MPH in other lanes on the motorway, 5 MPH inside city. Fifth gear only exists if you touch their car with yours. Then they actively freak out and start driving at the top speed not actively paying attention to obstacles and ultimately ruining their vehicle alongside themselves.
• Doesn't even attempt to get away on their vehicle if you are a walking menace. Reasonable people would've overrun a guy who points a gun at them, yet the ideal NPC will get out of their car and start freaking out, also running in the least sensible direction, usually dying from being overrun by another vehicle. How? 5 MPH is, apparently, enough to kill a bystander NPC.
• Dies instantly regardless of your way of doing so. Shot their leg with a water pistol? DEATH.
• Whilst you are having vehicle handling issues, they are, instead of running deeper into the pavement or hiding in the nearest building, jumping straight under your wheels. "But officer, this guy jumped himself!" won't undo the wanted level of course.
• If killed because of your actions, will be counted as a crime regardless if that was an act of self defence. Even if this happened in the US. 2nd amendment is for anyone but the protagonist.
• Starts spouting death threats the moment you try talking to them. NPCs hate protagonists!
• Gets their LOD vastly simplified as soon as you are a couple feet away from them.
• Randomly disappears for no apparent reason. Spontaneous teleportation is real.
• Sometimes gets immortal and goes postal. Yet the cops are still dead sure you are the one they need to stop.
• Occasionally falls off the bridge or anything you can fall off lethally. Reasons? Do you really need them?
• Wears absolutely nonsensical clothes like biker shorts on top of full-on formal trousers with their feet, torso, and head being naked at 0F/-18C.
• Occasionally walks into burning things and dies of burning down for no apparent reason.
• Sees you falling off some higher location and instead of asking if you are alright and offering help they, right, just freak out and run away.
• Calls you names repeatedly.
• Can't swim.
• Occasionally becomes paralysed and stop moving. Sometimes T-poses as well.
• They also forget to have their head textures enabled from time to time.
• Last but not the least: they usually don't sign your petition.

Last edited:
I am a young 15 year old game developer and want to say thank you for this exhaustive list of things to implement!! Yes I know I've been registered for 18.5 years, but that's just because my mom made an account for me before I was born. :D

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
• Whilst you are having vehicle handling issues, they are, instead of running deeper into the pavement or hiding in the nearest building, jumping straight under your wheels. "But officer, this guy jumped himself!" won't undo the wanted level of course.
And/or:
  • Get scared of a different NPC's bad driving with the result they run in front of the player's vehicle and get killed.
• If killed because of your actions, will be counted as a crime regardless if that was an act of self defence. Even if this happened in the US. 2nd amendment is for anyone but the protagonist.
And/or:
  • If killed as a result of running into a firefight instead of away, it's still the player's fault. It's always the player's fault.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64 / Windows 11
Occasionally walks into burning things and dies of burning down for no apparent reason.
Early stalker SOC vibes. The AI used to have a tendency to incinerate themselves in the pit fires.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
I still think that no game has surpassed the sheer lunacy of Oblivion and its janky implementation of Radiant AI. Paired with everyone looking like a potato and the overall writing and voice acting being on the level of a community theatre production I still had no experience that was quite this surreal. CP2077 is nowhere close and even Beth themselves haven’t hit the same height of absurdity since.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
A defining feature of current gen NPCs in a city is also just random chaos and exploding cars because you crossed the street a minute ago. Cyberpunk has it in spades