• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to do Power Consumption Testing in CPU Reviews?

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
There has been some discussion about power testing methodologies with Alder Lake.

Thoughts, requests, ideas, suggestions how to change this for the future?

Obviously I cannot spend multiple hours on testing power consumption alone.

I'd very much continue measuring full-system wall-power, as I have a great data collection pipeline already setup for it. Data is collected digitally, over Ethernet, processed, and it spits out TPU-style charts for me, with minimal user interaction.

I do have definite plans to add "Gaming Power Consumption", using Cyberpunk 2077 at highest settings, v-sync off

Do probably at least 1 real world (application) use, like Cinebench. Then maybe a synthetic test through something like Thread Racer ~
Screenshot (22).png

I said real world application use, besides isn't Cinebench doing basically what Cinema4D does? Outside of built in benchmarks, within the application itself, there's probably nothing like it.

[ ... ]

I'd very much continue measuring full-system wall-power, as I have a great data collection pipeline already setup for it. Data is collected digitally, over Ethernet, processed, and it spits out TPU-style charts for me, with minimal user interaction.

[ ... ]
That's fine and should be kept, but maybe another dataset at the EPS12V? Would be extra useful since those two datasets will also reveal the memory, GPU et cetera overhead.

EDIT: Just glanced over the thread that led to this spinoff. Would still stand by the previous (if it's not too much of a hassle), but maybe add an uhm inverse test of some popular benchmark (CPU-Z, Cinebench or something) where you normalise for power? (Ie lock all processors to 65W or something, then bench them to see which is the most efficient and also how much performance is lost since power/performance scaling is not linear)

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600@80W
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling ZALMAN CNPS9X OPTIMA
Memory 2*8GB PATRIOT PVS416G400C9K@3733MT_C16
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 6750 XT Pulse 12GB
Storage Sandisk SSD 128GB, Kingston A2000 NVMe 1TB, Samsung F1 1TB, WD Black 10TB
Display(s) AOC 27G2U/BK IPS 144Hz
Case SHARKOON M25-W 7.1 BLACK
Audio Device(s) Realtek 7.1 onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Core GC 500W
Mouse Sharkoon SHARK Force Black
Keyboard Trust GXT280
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64bit/Win 10 pro 64bit/Manjaro Linux
For real world power consumption testing I would prefer one test showing 7zip encoding and another decoding. The average values are more than enough. CB23 can be used to check the max power limits and temps more than anything else. As for gaming, Timespy is a standard, fast and reliable benchmark which makes full use of CPU also. My 5c.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
I would think you would need to model, and then script, a use scenario that runs at human speeds.

There could be more than one scenario, probably should be.

For example, one scenario might be office worker 8 hours loading up spreadsheets and word docs, some OCR as that is common with document conversion in offices, some web activity to represent the work day. Throw in a couple of hours of video conference, since that is a big thing (even for those not WFH, they have to communicate with those who are). Obviously this would mostly be idle time, since office workers spend 90% of their time entering something into a spreadsheet cell or word document, not just doing recalcs. Then 4 hours of web / media / gaming for an avid PC user. That would give you a 12 hour loop.

I want to say the above looks a lot like PCMark10. It does, except PCMark10 is a benchmark at max speed, not a real world use. In the real world, we move a lot slower than their script.

Then you've got content creators, scripted activity on things like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, along with some mix of web/browser use, conferencing and so on.

Then plug it into a Kill-A-Watt meter and let it run the script for a day.

So creating such scripted activities that move at real human speeds and do real human activities would be the difficult part. If it were a car, you'd just drive it through a course for 4 hours.

I'm actually kind of shocked that the industry hasn't built something like that. I would bet that Intel and AMD have these kind of tools, based on whatever they model user activities as.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Processor AMD R7 1700X @ 4100Mhz
Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX (MS-7B89)
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory Crucial Technology 16GB DR (DDR4-3600) - C9BLM:045M:E BL16G36C16U4W.M16FE1 X2 @ CL14
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR 8GB @ 1408Mhz (AMD Auto OC)
Storage Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) Acer KG271 1080p @ 81Hz
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex II 750W 80+ Gold
Keyboard Redragon Devarajas RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 (10.0) Professional 64-bit
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/mvvj3a
On the aspect of PSUs being used. If the same PSU cannot be used in all test.
Using two different PSUs that have the same OEM and rating can have different components inside them
which can make said PSU fail their rating. Pull more wattage!

Please keep this in mind when you do these CPU consumption tests. If readings are done at the AC outlet.
If readings are taken form the board probe points then this should be a none issue

System Name Main PC
Processor 13700k
Motherboard Asrock Z690 Steel Legend D4 - Bios 13.02
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory 32 Gig 3200CL14
Video Card(s) 3080 RTX FE 10G
Storage 1TB 980 PRO (OS, games), 2TB SN850X (games), 2TB DC P4600 (work), 2x 3TB WD Red, 2x 4TB WD Red
Display(s) LG 27GL850
Case Fractal Define R4
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D2X
Power Supply Antec HCG 750 Gold
Software Windows 10 21H2 LTSC
There has been some discussion about power testing methodologies with Alder Lake.

Thoughts, requests, ideas, suggestions how to change this for the future?

Obviously I cannot spend multiple hours on testing power consumption alone.

I do have definite plans to add "Gaming Power Consumption", using Cyberpunk 2077 at highest settings, v-sync off
As I understand you tested due to cpu specification right? The new Alder Lake, if I am right now no longer has the traditional TDP as part of its spec and is not out of spec with sustained high power usage?

To answer I need to understand what the supported mode of usage is by intel, basically my answer is to test to cpu manufacturer specifications, disable MCE etc.

If your question is related to workloads then I have no issues with how the testing was done, whilst gaming workloads today might not place much of a demand on the chip, we dont know if that will be the case in years to come. Putting the cpu under AVX prime95 for power draw testing is not realistic, but I think rendering is a reasonable test. There is people who stream games using x264 rendering whilst gaming all under one PC. I play games whilst recording using x264 rendering.

There is a option to consider adding a new test in addition to the standard test which is to test a chip without turbo boost (or XFR for AMD), e.g. I run my ryzen rig with XFR off as its way more efficient. That last 10% performance is inefficient on most cpus/gpus.

I do get the arguments made though, as an example the RTX 3080 is power hungry, however because its more powerful if you dont fully stress it, then it can use less power than older generations because it never goes into high inefficient clocks. The extra test I suggested disabling turbo clocks might cover this scenario.

Last edited:
System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
i think it's not relevant enough to make a list of "CPU X pulls X Watts here and there"

Cinebench R23 to see how far it goes while being compareable to other CPUs.
every game, graphics settings (lower or higher CPU load) changes it anyways.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
This will pretty much be identical to the "idle" result
Actually I'm pretty sure it wont.

Here is me signing into Office 365 - just signing in, that's it, browser already opened - on my personal desktop a 10850K. That's those spikes :

1636383552704.png

I could give a mess of other examples however, when I'm idle my CPU shows 1-2% usage. When I'm using my PC it looks like the above, maybe half the time. Even scrolling through a document like a PPT or XLS takes some CPU.

That's what that video was showing on the Kill-A-Watt meter. +20-40W power draw just from opening a folder.

All scripted tests that I'm aware of run without any "thinking time" in-between

That's the problem the entire PC review industry has, tests like PCMark10 and naturally Cinebench and so on are effectively max performance benchmarks. If its a car, I want to know what happens when I drive an hour in mixed highway / city stop-n-go traffic at normal speed.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
On the aspect of PSUs being used. If the same PSU cannot be used in all test.
I am using the same PSU of course. On the same setup, with the same fan type and fans, no RGB, etc.

As I understand you tested due to cpu specification right?
I always review at spec, with MCE disabled. For ADL spec is PL1=PL2=241 W
Additional test runs show power limits removed, overclocked, and possible special scenarios, like I did "E-Cores Disabled" for 12900K

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
I am using the same PSU of course. On the same setup, with the same fan type and fans, no RGB, etc.

I've spotted the problem

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Gaming tests, sure, but how well do they actually load the system. Can we get something like Blender as well? Or something like Vegas or final cut render. I use Timespy stability test and aida64 in laptop reviews, but should probably follow your lead...

But I don't own Cyberpunk. :p

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I suspect cinebench nT will be pretty much identical to Blender?
To a degree, but PL2 effectively is eliminated generally speaking with longer blender render, if board behaves. Not everyone understands PL1=PL2 = 241W. How do you point that out effectively?
Any modern GPU limited game should be similar
But game costs are write-offs.... LOL.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
To a degree, but PL2 effectively is eliminated generally speaking with longer blender render, if board behaves. Not everyone understands PL1=PL2 = 241W.
Actually my Blender run is relatively short, so it'll include some turbo power. CB R23 will run for 10 minutes before taking results, so it'll run at PL1 exclusively in pre-ADL.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
Not sure if serious. If you are, please make your argument
not serious just found it funny that anyone would even assume you tested with RGB on.

I feel like most standard CPU-benchmarks would "just" need to be tweaked into "Joules used per benchmark".

For example: Cinebench, Blender, Linux compiles are all "jobs". Cinebench just renders one image. Blender renders one image (multiple choice here: 4 or 5 images to choose from). Linux compile might have more I/O used but should still be mostly CPU power.

From there, you collect data on Watts each-second, then integrate watts over time to get Joules.

------

Even for "rate-based" benchmarks (like SPECjbb), which run for a fixed time + return a rate of processing, you still care about the Joules used per benchmark. If SPECjbb reports 10,000 transactions processed, and your power meter reports 20,000 joules used, then you report to us 0.5 joules per transaction.

-------

I'm frankly unsure if anything you do needs to be changed, aside from spending some effort on making an accurate Joule-counter. Can anyone think of a situation where the methodology I just described fails to work out mathematically? The math has a lot of "divisions / reciprocals" going on and instinctively, I know I'm pretty bad at those and make mistakes all the time in logic when reciprocals are involved. But... my instinct leans towards just calculating Joules and ignoring everything else.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
I feel like most standard CPU-benchmarks would "just" need to be tweaked into "Joules used per benchmark".

For example: Cinebench, Blender, Linux compiles are all "jobs". Cinebench just renders one image. Blender renders one image (multiple choice here: 4 or 5 images to choose from). Linux compile might have more I/O used but should still be mostly CPU power.

From there, you collect data on Watts each-second, then integrate watts over time to get Joules.

------

Even for "rate-based" benchmarks (like SPECjbb), which run for a fixed time + return a rate of processing, you still care about the Joules used per benchmark. If SPECjbb reports 10,000 transactions processed, and your power meter reports 20,000 joules used, then you report to us 0.5 joules per transaction.

-------

I'm frankly unsure if anything you do needs to be changed, aside from spending some effort on making an accurate Joule-counter. Can anyone think of a situation where the methodology I just described fails to work out mathematically? The math has a lot of "divisions / reciprocals" going on and instinctively, I know I'm pretty bad at those and make mistakes all the time in logic when reciprocals are involved. But... my instinct leans towards just calculating Joules and ignoring everything else.
They could do with retaining a degree of simplicity, some won't know what a joule is.

@W1zzard
For me what you do is fine just add gaming only power for those that believe it's the be all and end all.

They could do with retaining a degree of simplicity, some won't know what a joule is.

I guess "kilowatt-hours" would be the unit of energy quoted in the USA the most. But scientists would typically use Joules (aka watt-seconds) instead.

Hmmm... some discussion / polling on what makes sense to more people probably should be done. I would personally understand Joules. But maybe more people are familiar with "kilowatt-hours" instead??

-------

A Watt is literally a "Joule-per-second". So a Kilowatt-hour is "1000 Joules-per-second hours", which is more confusing IMO, despite being the commonly quoted figure in the USA. Also, given how much energy these benchmarks use (probably 300 seconds @ 100 Watts or so, or 30,000 Joules or so), that's "too small" to be quoting kilowatt hours (aka: a kilowatt hour is 3600000 Joules. So a typical benchmark would be 0.008 kilowatt-hours of energy)

What would look better in an article? 30000 Joules or 0.008 kw-hr ??

Or maybe we go with 8.3 watt-hours? Or 30-kilojoules ?

System Name ibuytheusedstuff
Processor 5960x
Motherboard x99 sabertooth
Cooling old socket775 cooler
Memory 32 Viper
Video Card(s) 1080ti on morpheus 1
Storage raptors+ssd
Display(s) acer 120hz
Case open bench
Audio Device(s) onb
Power Supply antec 1200 moar power
Mouse mx 518
Keyboard roccat arvo
my take on this is how will motherboard implementations affect this- like asus multicore enhancement or how it´s called today.
like does the mainboard you are using for the review use PL1 or whatever - i think ya got my point
like on asus motherboards it uses the 241watt from load defaults not 125 watt - is what i can gather from the reviews.

or is it - what wattage is the norm for that 12900k 125 or 241 or the nearly 400watts its using during load on heavy multitask but not games?
thanks very much for your work and time!