• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.
System Name Whatever 2
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard P8P67 (non-pro)
Cooling ThermalRight 120 extreme
Memory 16gb GSkill DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6950> 6970 (shader unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex2, WD RE4 500gb
Display(s) Dell 24" LCD
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply Seasonic 700W
Software Windows 7 PRO 64bit
Hey Guys..i Just owned a Sapphire HD6950 reference card..now all i want is to unlock the shaders and not to touch the voltage thing and not to flash it to 6970 because there are many issues about it, also I've already read some comments here that there is a 6950 mod which only unlock's the shaders..does anyone one know where could i get it?? and how to make it happen? can someone give me an idea i really appreciate it..

Look at my post above with the links to do EXACTLY that. If you have a reference card it works 99% of the time.

inerax

drivers have nothing to do with flashing. we need more info, what type of cards do you have? Look at my post above on this page. that is the safer way to upgrade your 6950 > 6970.

I have XFX 6950 black edition. what is the best way to do this?

System Name Whatever 2
Display(s) Dell 24" LCD
Case Antec 900

lukax

Hi guys I'm new here and i recently bought a XFX HD 6950 but this card does not have a BIOS switch and it's a nice looking card so what you guys suggest me to do? I didn't open the box yet so I can send back to them and take my money to buy a reference one... but that will take quite a while...

Or should I risk using the RBE to just unlock the shaders?
And if I brick the card by doing a bad flash will it be possible to re flash it using for example the Onboard graphics to log on windows and flash the video card?
sorry for the bad english and thanks

Last edited:

madpacket

In addition to my last post, I tried the batfile script on the BIOS from my Sapphire 2gb Dirt3 edition, and flashed with the BIOS that the script created. The flash was successful as far as I can tell, but the number of shaders remains at 1408. I have uploaded the original BIOS.

I've got the exact same card and tried the same steps as you with no luck unlocking the shaders. Can someone more technically inclined take a look at this supposed Antilles specific bios with a hex editor and see if something else can be done to unlock this card?

I'm wondering if AMD is running out of Cayman chips and had to resort to selling poor yield Antilles 6990 leftover chips.

Thoughts?

madpacket

i have one

and unlocks

using the shader script and flash using winflash

model AX6950 2GBD5-2DH

in your picture i see short PCB, my card PCB is larger ....

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4836/img20110918020351.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9342/img20110918020448.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4383/gpuscreen.gif

sorry i dont speak good english

Your English is fine. Thanks for posting pics of your card. I just ordered the same card to replace my sapphire that won't unlock.

Few questions about your card,

-Does your card have a dual bios?

-Are you able to change the voltages? and if so, can you under-volt it as well as over-volt?

-Have you done any overclocking? and if so, how far have you been able to push it with the unlocked shaders?

Thanks!

Last edited:

SuperLOL

Your English is fine. Thanks for posting pics of your card. I just ordered the same card to replace my sapphire that won't unlock.

Few questions about your card,

-Does your card have a dual bios?

-Are you able to change the voltages? and if so, can you under-volt it as well as over-volt?

-Have you done any overclocking? and if so, how far have you been able to push it with the unlocked shaders?

Thanks!

1,- Yes

2- yes i can but only over-volt with sapphire trixx software
1.100v min - 1.300 max

3- yes 1536 shaders unlock @ 900core 1350 mem 1.1v ( stock ) very nice chip .

very nice card of powercolor in my opinion

Last edited:

naizarak

Yet another noob here looking for recommendations. I read up on the original mod when it just came out, and am now just about to purchase a 6950, but as I understand, things have changed radically since then.

I assume I'm correct in thinking that MFR's have revised their designs to lock-down on shader unlocking, but at the same time I've seen a lot more tools and methods released and I'm now just way over my head.

I'd really appreciate if someone could have a look at these cards and tell me if any are exploitable; I'm just interested in unlocking extra shaders, not voltage/frequency tuning.

Sapphire 2gb Dirt 3 edition

As I understand this card has a dual-bios feature but isn't unlockable?

Powercolor 2gb
Just looked at the post above mine lol. Just out of curiosity SuperLOL, how would you rate your card? I've always thought of Powercolor as some cheap generic brand, but if it's unlockable, OC-able, and pretty cheap, your review will be all I need before I commit.

MSI Twin Frozr III

I read up somewhere that this card IS exploitable, even though it's non-reference.

XFX 2gb

Thanks in advance for any help. I'm usually very interested in learning these things by myself but the OP is outdated and I'm afraid my eyes won't handle perusing 110+ pages.

Last edited:

Mason69

i have one

and unlocks

using the shader script and flash using winflash

model AX6950 2GBD5-2DH

in your picture i see short PCB, my card PCB is larger ....

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4836/img20110918020351.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9342/img20110918020448.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4383/gpuscreen.gif

sorry i dont speak good english

Thanks for your answer, i will take a look at my card and see if it is the same because i think so.

naizarak

Thanks for your answer, i will take a look at my card and see if it is the same because i think so.

Mason69 would you mind looking at this link and telling me if that's the card you have, and whether or not you've been able to unlock it. Thanks in advance.

lukax

bump
can someone answer my question #2816 ? thanks

Last edited:
I would Like to No if Flash VisionTek 900352 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

SuperLOL

Powercolor 2gb
Just looked at the post above mine lol. Just out of curiosity SuperLOL, how would you rate your card? I've always thought of Powercolor as some cheap generic brand, but if it's unlockable, OC-able, and pretty cheap, your review will be all I need before I commit.

10 of 10

runs cool 36 c idle, 66 c full load 35% idle fan 55% fan full load @ 900core (1.1v), unlock with no problems, need to test more OC and more volt.

micromini

Man me and my luck!
I had a Asus 6950 Direct CU II revision B6 that was unflashable! (even tied wizzards script) But i could overclock it in RBE.

Got a new Asus 6950 Direct CU II with revision B8 and that one is unlocks with wizzards script, but if i try to edit the clocks to 6970 speeds in RBE and reflash with the new custom bios i get bluescreens!

i know that this card can handle 890/1350

Anyone?

System Name Whatever 2
Display(s) Dell 24" LCD
Case Antec 900
RBE cannot be used to adjust clock speed or fans, it causes blue screens on the 6900 series cards. Only thing you could adjust are voltage registers, but usually they are only adjustable on reference cards. I would use TRIXX or AFTERBURNER to adjust fan curve and clocks.

micromini

RBE cannot be used to adjust clock speed or fans, it causes blue screens on the 6900 series cards. Only thing you could adjust are voltage registers, but usually they are only adjustable on reference cards. I would use TRIXX or AFTERBURNER to adjust fan curve and clocks.

Ah yeah remember that now!

Need a clean Asus 6970 Direct CU II then so i can make a modded bin and go that way!
Only problem is that the ones in the vga database is messed around with (not original settings)

Does anyone have a clean original Asus 6970 Direct CU II bios?

DogSnake

Greetings from a new member. I just received my HIS 6950 IceQ X Turbo 2GB from Newegg. Using RBE and winflash, I had no trouble getting the additional shaders unlocked. The original overclock at 840 is there and all running cool and quiet. The card is non reference and had not bios switch. Yes luck was on my side today :). Thanks for a great guide and instruction set.

pacifist

Mason69

is the same model but my card comes with large PCB

no idea if yours come with short or large PCB

use the W1zzard script is the method for any non refence

sorry with my bad english

Im pretty sure it is the same, just as mine is.
What do you mean by large pcb?? Sorry for the noob question.

fufnk

Sapphire 6950 Dirt 3 edition - antilles gpu???!

Can anybody help me with my card - Atiwinflash is showing device ID 0x671D - this is bdw 6990 device ID, RBE is showing me 6990 series card, and original Sapphire overclocking prog - TRIXX is showing: Antilles GPU!
I have tried anything to unlock my non-reference 6950 2gb dirt 3 edition card to 6970 - but in the RBE, shaders option is gray, because even bios is non reference. Now I realized that my freaking card hasn't got cayman gpu, but somehow has antilles gpu. :confused:

Help and suggestionts wanted :) Can anybody explain this to me

masterff

Hi,

i've just attempted this flash on my HIS non reference board, and it's cocked royally up.

i've got vga but it blue screens when loading windows, is there any program available that I can fix this through a dos based command?

even trying my old card as the main card and having the borked 6950 just connected won't work as windows crashes out all the time.

any help appreciated, also I need a bios for the HIS 2GB as i've lost the backup.

help much appreciated again.

Status
Not open for further replies.