• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to recover from a bad video BIOS flash

Brown123

Hello I found the card in device manager but i'm getting an error 31 and the card can't be booted on. How would I fix this?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hello I found the card in device manager but i'm getting an error 31 and the card can't be booted on. How would I fix this?

Hello, I have an RX 5600 XT MECH OC that fails to even give signal to the monitor which is unusable, the motherboard diagnostics stays lighten up on the gpu side when this happens. Could anyone help me with this? Also wanted to know if I could try the integrated graphics method.

Have you flash the BIOS before it happened? If so, check out the 1st post.

Not all graphic card problems are caused by a bad BIOS.

I suggest you start a new thread and provide additional details with how, when, why, and some photos too.

Brown123

Have you flash the BIOS before it happened? Not all graphic card problems are caused by a bad BIOS flash.

I suggest you start a new thread and provide additional details with how, when, why, and some photos too.
Alright thanks. I'll definitely do this and no the bios is fine I checked with a programmer. It's likely another problem. Gpu might not be recoverable unfortunately.

MaddinSGE

Hey. Got a RX 570 with one working BIOS on slot 1 and one BIOS not working on slot 2. I followed the steps above but the win based dont find the card on and the cmd.exe version as well. Started over onboard gpu. What iam doing wrong?

First pic is from slot 1 and second pic from slot 2.

Please help :)

Iam new in this. But i wanna sell thsi card...so both slots should work. Just google a bit...is it possible that AMD cards shown up as this i posted and NVIDIA with the name?

Attachments

• BIOS Slot 1.jpg
    BIOS Slot 1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 278
  • BIOS Slot 2.jpg
    BIOS Slot 2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 291

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hey. Got a RX 570 with one working BIOS on slot 1 and one BIOS not working on slot 2. I followed the steps above but the win based dont find the card on and the cmd.exe version as well. Started over onboard gpu. What iam doing wrong?

First pic is from slot 1 and second pic from slot 2.

Please help :)

Iam new in this. But i wanna sell thsi card...so both slots should work. Just google a bit...is it possible that AMD cards shown up as this i posted and NVIDIA with the name?
From the screenshots, your card is detected normally and can be flashed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194069/194069

Boot with the working BIOS, when the Windows is booted, move the switch to the non-working BIOS position.

amdvbflash -unlockrom 0
amdvbflash -f -p 0 194069.rom

After its done, just reboot.

MaddinSGE

From the screenshots, your card is detected normally and can be flashed.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/194069/194069

Boot with the working BIOS, when the Windows is booted, move the switch to the non-working BIOS position.

amdvbflash -unlockrom 0
amdvbflash -f -p 0 194069.rom

After its done, just reboot.
Thanks.

A friend told me before flashing a gpu i should deactivate it in device manager. Is that right?
If i understand you right i dont need a onboard gpu if i have a 2 slot bios card? and after making a mistake on one slot just boot with the other slot and after boot select the broken bios slot?
I find this file too, but it isnt proofed...so can i use it?

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
A friend told me before flashing a gpu i should deactivate it in device manager. Is that right?
No

If i understand you right i dont need a onboard gpu if i have a 2 slot bios card?
Yes

And after making a mistake on one slot just boot with the other slot and after boot select the broken bios slot?
Yes, but press the switch after Windows is fully loaded.

I find this file too, but it isnt proofed...so can i use it?
Yes

MaddinSGE

Goran1986

hi guys, i got an rog rx580 t8g in my pc, and i have realized that it was used for mining and i cant get more than 300 mhz on it, so i have flashed bios on it and now its not working, no signal, black screen. before that i was not able to get into motherboard bios at all. so i have another gpu, gforce gtx960 just to boot up. with this card i can get into motherboard bios. my motherboard have two pci express slots and i was trying to run both cards at the same time to flash back bios on rx580, but when i run amdflash my pc just breaks down and restart. dont know what to do now, really want to use my rx580... please help

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
hi guys, i got an rog rx580 t8g in my pc, and i have realized that it was used for mining and i cant get more than 300 mhz on it, so i have flashed bios on it and now its not working, no signal, black screen. before that i was not able to get into motherboard bios at all. so i have another gpu, gforce gtx960 just to boot up. with this card i can get into motherboard bios. my motherboard have two pci express slots and i was trying to run both cards at the same time to flash back bios on rx580, but when i run amdflash my pc just breaks down and restart. dont know what to do now, really want to use my rx580... please help
Try some of the tricks from the 1st post, like flashing from DOS/UEFI/Linux.

Make sure that both PCIe slots are enabled from the BIOS.

help me

thank you everyone
i finally fixed my gpu
i used double grpahics method. igpu as an output .
this might help you: when i enabled double gpu my rx 560 4gb showed error code 43 but when i dissabled and enabled rx560 it worked. and than i flashed vbios with CMD using intruction from #1 post
GL and thanks again

DazzlingPc

Hi guys, got an gtx 1050ti and I bricked my card after a bad flash I guess.

First my Pc wont boot up so I've decide to force the boot on my onboard gpu the pc work again.

So I've try to flash back it in Windows first no result, in safe mode same thing, in DOS mode and the same message appear over and over: No Nvidia Display adapter found

Then I decided to short my gpu chip pin my pc boot and load files but no display at all, I plug my usb stick restart the pc then blindly check if my gpu was foud (if not a sound like "Bip bip" is emitted) anyway after alot of try I always hear the fam bip bip.

I'll appreciate some help
Best regards

Skyw4lk3r

Hey guys. I've registered just now because of this thread and I need Your help.

A friend of mine tried without me to flash his xfx 580 back to stock rom to sell it, and he screwed up. I'm not sure which chip is the bios chip, because i get confusing results when I google them.

Can I ask Your guidence which pins on which chip should I short to reflash the card back to normal?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20210217_213027_793.jpg
    IMG_20210217_213027_793.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20210217_213031_935.jpg
    IMG_20210217_213031_935.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 258

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hey guys. I've registered just now because of this thread and I need Your help.

A friend of mine tried without me to flash his xfx 580 back to stock rom to sell it, and he screwed up. I'm not sure which chip is the bios chip, because i get confusing results when I google them.

Can I ask Your guidence which pins on which chip should I short to reflash the card back to normal?

Thanks in advance.
These two P25Q40Hs in the bottom. The one above U3 is primary.

System Name Phoenix
Processor Ryzen 5 2600x 3,6ghz UV
Motherboard Asrock B350 Pro4
Cooling Wraith stealth
Memory Crucial Ballistix 4x2gb 3200mhz 13-18-16-32
Video Card(s) Rx 470 4gb Sapphire Blower
Case Fractal Design Model G
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser Momentum On-ear
Power Supply Enermax Maxpro 600w
Mouse Steelseries rival 300
Keyboard Some el-garbagio logitech office
Almost every day there are new threads regarding bricked graphics cards due to wrong BIOS flashing, and since eidairaman1 is no longer around to help, here is a guide how to deal with a bad VGA BIOS flash.

Find the correct BIOS
First off, you'll have to find a copy of the original BIOS. In case you don't have a backup, remove the graphics card, take off the cooler, check which memory chip is used (Samsung/Hynix/Micron/Elpida) including exact model (e.g. H5GQ8H24MJR). Inspect the card from both sides, look for model number (on the stickers and card itself), serial numbers, board revision, clock frequency (e.g. 1386M) and write it all down. In the same opportunity, remove dust from the fans with a toothbrush, clean the card with alcohol & cotton swabs and then reapply thermal paste.

View attachment 151949 View attachment 156766 View attachment 151927

Navigate to the TPU VGA Database and begin looking for your card in both official and unverified uploads. Use the information you just gathered: Google the model number, SKU, look for its official GPU and memory clocks. Most BIOSes on the TPU database list board model, GPU and memory clocks, supported memory brand and model, number of DP/DVI/HDMI outputs, and sometimes the uploader provides additional information at the bottom of the page. Compare the data you gathered against the database and download all potential matches.

View attachment 151957 View attachment 151940

You can also contact the vendor and ask for a copy of the BIOS. In fact, some vendors publish BIOS updates on the product's website.

Is there a BIOS switch?
Many of the modern graphic cards come with dual BIOS chips (silent and performance) and a small switch designed to toggle between them. Usually, it's above the monitor outputs or near the PCIe power connector. If your card is equipped with one, all you have to do is just press the switch. If you wish to re-flash the chip with the wrong ROM, just press the switch again before flashing (while the system is still on).

View attachment 156758 View attachment 156757

Cannot POST/BOOT
There are several methods to deal with a graphics card that is unable to POST and giving a black screen when system is powered on.

1. If your card has dual BIOS, just press the BIOS switch.
2. Use the integrated graphics (onboard graphics) if available. Just plug to the monitor to the motherboard's I/O.
***If you get an add-in graphics card error message, just enable "Intel Multi-Display / iGPU Multi-Monitor" from the motherboard's BIOS***
3. Get an old PCI graphics card.
4. Another PCIe graphics card and motherboard with TWO x16 PCI express slots.
5. SPI flash programmer like FlashcatUSB or CH341A.

Still cannot POST!!!
Even after you used one of the methods above and still cannot POST, your bricked card is probably preventing the system from working. In this case, you'll have to locate the video BIOS chip and short 1-5 pins with a paperclip, or small wire, or by soldering until flashing is complete. The BIOS chip is usually 8-pin and located on the rear, bottom side, tagged as U1-12 on the PCB, but be sure to verify first by searching online the text written on the chip (e.g. A25L0100). Search engine results should be related to "flash memory chip", not a regulator or anything else.

View attachment 151941 View attachment 151942

What about laptops?
Dealing with a bad flash on a laptop is more complicated and can be very tricky. Mostly because some laptops have the video BIOS integrated with the motherboard BIOS on a single chip. Before you crack it open, try using external monitor and external graphics card. These might work for you, but if you're less fortunate, the video BIOS is usually located near the GPU, but can be anywhere, even integrated with the motherboard. If you can spot it, try the same methods listed above. If it's integrated, use SPI flash programmer and be sure to take a dump before making any changes.

View attachment 162029 View attachment 162226 View attachment 162229

Flashing AMD cards
Download AMD's flashing utility and extract it to the some folder. Copy the BIOS file(s) to the same folder.

First try the GUI version (AMDVBFlashWin), if it doesn't work, use the command prompt version (search for cmd.exe and run it with administrator privileges).

Navigate to the folder where you put the files:

CD C:\Fullpath\

***If the folder is C:\Users\David\Downloads\New folder use "CD C:\Users\David\Downloads\New folder\"***

Type: "amdvbflash -i" to see which adapter id is the bricked card.

View attachment 151943

And then type:

amdvbflash -unlockrom 0
amdvbflash -f -p 0 filename.rom

***Change 0 to the correct adapter id, and filename.rom to the video BIOS file***

ERROR: 0FL01
Unfortunately, this is a general error with no specific information. This can be anything! From bad drivers, wrong ROM, not enough privileges, broken transistor, and even damaged BIOS chip. In this case, you can try flashing from DOS mode, UEFI Shell, Linux, or with SPI flash programmer.

Adapter not found
Try to short the video BIOS 1-5 pins as seen above, or use SPI flash programmer.

Flashing Nvidia cards
Download modded NVIDIA NVFlash and extract it to the some folder. Copy the BIOS file(s) to the same folder.

Run cmd.exe with administrator privileges and navigate to the folder where you put the files:

CD C:\Fullpath\

***If the folder is C:\Users\David\Downloads\New folder use "CD C:\Users\David\Downloads\New folder\"***

Type: "nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 -a" to see which adapter id is the bricked card.

View attachment 151947

And then type:

nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 --index=0 --protectoff
nvflash64_patched_5.590.0 --index=0 -6 filename.rom

***Change 0 to the correct adapter id, and filename.rom to the video BIOS file***

Errors with NvFlash
Older versions of NvFlash work better with older hardware. For instance: v5.287 and Maxwell GPUs, or v5.105 and Fermi GPUs.
Sometimes NvFlash just like to "act up" for no good reason, if this happens, just reboot and try flashing again.

ERROR: No NVIDIA display adapters found
Try to short the video BIOS 1-5 pins as seen above, or use SPI flash programmer.

This guide brought to you by the old house of ngohq.com. If you like it, please press on the like button to the right.
I've tried to flash my bricked Polaris gpu with a stock vbios, but this didn't belp

DazzlingPc

Hi guys, got an gtx 1050ti and I bricked my card after a bad flash I guess.

First my Pc wont boot up so I've decide to force the boot on my onboard gpu the pc work again.

So I've try to flash back it in Windows first no result, in safe mode same thing, in DOS mode and the same message appear over and over: No Nvidia Display adapter found

Then I decided to short my gpu chip pin my pc boot and load files but no display at all, I plug my usb stick restart the pc then blindly check if my gpu was foud (if not a sound like "Bip bip" is emitted) anyway after alot of try I always hear the fam bip bip.

I'll appreciate some help
Best regards

Can you help me @Regeneration ?

DazzlingPc

What is short gpu chip pin? you mean the BIOS chip??

If none of the methods work, including DOS/UEFI/Linux, BIOS short, you'll need chip programmer like CH341A.
yes gpu bios chipset.

Ok well I guess I have no other choice; thanks.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK
Hey guys I need the software program for the CH341A, anyone got a link(English), and THANK YOU!

Regeneration

NGOHQ.COM
Hey guys I need the software program for the CH341A, anyone got a link(English), and THANK YOU!

Scroll down for drivers and flashers.

Processor 5930K
Motherboard MSI X99 SLI
Cooling WATER
Memory 16GB DDR4 2132
Video Card(s) EVGAY 2070 SUPER
Storage SEVERAL SSD"S
Display(s) Catleap/Yamakasi 2560X1440
Case D Frame MINI drilled out
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse DEATH ADDER
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Tournament
Software W10HB
Benchmark Scores PhIlLyChEeSeStEaK

Scroll down for drivers and flashers.
YOU DA man! I need a good walk through tutorial for it? Linky please and THANK YOU!

I was doing my google du diligence and found the fix to the CH341A(it has a 5.V error)...................