1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to tell how much GPU memory is being used?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Yo_Wattup, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    ...at any one point in time. It's easy to tell how much regular ram is being used (task manager), but what about the memory on your video card? How do you check how much of that is being used?

Say if I have a game running that task manager is saying is using 1.7gb, is some or all (or none) of that being hosted on the vid card memory? Thanks guys.
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    gpuz
  3. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    best way i have found for realtime (apart from obviously gpuz to background log) is to use msi afterburner and its on screen display, go to settings and check the memory usage box, then when you are in game it will tell you exactly how much ram of the gpu is being used at an exact time along with framerates,temp e.t.c :)
  4. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Yes, MSI Afterburner can show on OSD. But I read somewhere and if somebody can confirm, that what afterburner is showing is the allocated VRAM and not actual usage.
  5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    both are the same
    NHKS and white phantom say thanks.
  6. white phantom

white phantom New Member

Thanks Received:
    correct me if im wrong but the OP would like to know how much VRAM is being used by his machine when playing a game?, msi afterburner (by using it personally) shows me exactly how much vram my card is using out of the 1gb in realtime when playing bf3 on ultra, when it is a loading/menu screen the card uses about 200mb when in game it can shoot up close to the 1024mb limit usually averages around 1004mb , by my reading this is what i thought the OP would like to monitor?

+1 to what w1zzard says
  7. Yo_Wattup New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks everyone, i already use afterburner OSD, but its been a while since i went into the settings and whatnot, mustve missed it. :eek: