• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to work out actual wattage GPU is drawing

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
422.9W at 132.1% TDP is believable as well, 320W TDP is not unusual for the higher end or special edition cards to have.
Power limit is, typically, based on the cards base TDP. Is this different?

Specs show 250W..

That said, card partners have fudged numbers in the past... I'd be curious to see what 39% limit is in wattage... that is where the difference typically is. :)

Well OP here
Why I was inquiring was because, I wanted to work out if I needed a good psu for my system, what type of wattage would I be looking at in order to ensure a clean power delivery to the GPU. I thought that power delivery efficiency was curved based, and how increased voltage on mem oc increased the wattage the card was drawing over and above the GPU-Z figure.

And yes, it is a special edition card..it weighs 2.5 kG and comes with a AIO cooler. It is packed with heat pipes. I have spent a reasonable amount of money, and want to make sure that the most expensive part of the build is not hobbled by a power supply that does not allow it to be pushed to its limits.
Clarity. W00t!

You've got a 1KW, high quality psu, your system fully overclocked will be absolutely fine. :)

Gpuz power figure, for nvidia, includes the whole gpu afaik. So if you oc the memory, that value will go up. That said overclocking the memory is only a few watts more.

Last edited:
System Name JustApc
Processor Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard Asus Rog X570 Gaming-E
Cooling Silverstone PF 360
Memory 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600 DDR4
Video Card(s) Colorful IGame RTX 2080 TI Kudan limited edition
Storage 2x Samsung 970 pro 512GB M.2 SSD, 2x 2TB Seagate HD
Display(s) 35 inch 144 Hz Kogan Monitor
Case Cooler Master H500P (Modified)
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic GX 1000 Focus Gold
Mouse Logitech gaming mouse
Keyboard Cheap as gaming keyboard
Software Win 10 pro
Thanks for the Reply Londiste

It is running at 2190 Mhz on the clock and 8350 on the memory clock. It can run a higher clock if I drop the memory, but that seems to be the sweet spot for all DX12 and 4k benchmarks, as well as Port Royal. It is mostly limited by power according to the OC scanner, and it says it is 90% ok with a 90 overclock on the clock with 8250 on memory (default bios boost clock is 1815 Mhz, so 315 over stock nvidia boost)

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
@BakGat

The card is a special edition but it is still under the same strict controls as all Turing cards. They have a hard power limit which requires hardware modification to overcome. As far as PSU recommendations, you'll get an entire thread of warm 'discussion' about that. Your current PSU is fine. 1Kw is more than enough. You can go into things like current stability, ripple, etc, but that's beyond me. Just avoid wam-bam brands and low-cost units.

But don't be side-tracked thinking your GPU will suck all that power, all the time - it wont because it's designed not to. It's what's made over-clocking so meaningless these days, unless you're willing to go with exotic cooling (an AIO is not exotic).

System Name JustApc
Processor Ryzen 3900x
Audio Device(s) On board
Software Win 10 pro
I agree @the54thvoid
When I do a manual OC it does not reach that high a power draw, that 423 Watt was the power draw when I ran the OC scanner in after burner. I guess the point of my question was to put my mind at ease that I made the correct choice re: PSU...It was my first build, I am 51 and until 8 months ago, I struggled to find the ON button. But I am a Motor sport fan, so, as the real thing was out of my reach, I decided to set up a home sim rig with all the bells and whistles, and needed a GPU to drive 3 50 inch screens and a VR set up.

Processor R5 5600X
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING
Cooling Alpenföhn Black Ridge
Memory 2*16GB DDR4-2666 VLP @3800
Video Card(s) EVGA Geforce RTX 3080 XC3
Storage 1TB Samsung 970 Pro, 2TB Intel 660p
Display(s) ASUS PG279Q, Eizo EV2736W
Case Dan Cases A4-SFX
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Corsair Ironclaw Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair K60
VR HMD HTC Vive
Power limit is, typically, based on the cards base TDP. Is this different?
Specs show 250W..
That said, card partners have fudged numbers in the past... I'd be curious to see what 39% limit is in wattage... that is where the difference typically is. )
Specs are a bit crap on this one. It is not the first or the last where stock power limit is listed but a higher one is in the BIOS. @BakGat's picture reveals this to be the case here as well.
The card is a special edition but it is still under the same strict controls as all Turing cards. They have a hard power limit which requires hardware modification to overcome.
This card's power limit is 320W with ability to raise it to 415W. That 422W measured fits in pretty well with that.

1kW power supply is definitely fine. With that kind of wattage and 3900X and other bits and pieces in the computer 750W might have been cutting it a bit close.

It is running at 2190 Mhz on the clock and 8350 on the memory clock.
With these clocks, 422W is in the expected range. If the card is stable on these settings, it is a pretty good result overall! :)

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Specs are a bit crap on this one. It is not the first or the last where stock power limit is listed but a higher one is in the BIOS. @BakGat's picture reveals this to be the case here as well.
Exactly. Though these are rare, is the point. I wasn't saying it can't be done or isn't done, just rare and not typical (especially over 400W). I haven't read any reviews on that card to see if it is limited at stock to 250... there is a possibility those limits are on a second bios.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
I agree @the54thvoid
When I do a manual OC it does not reach that high a power draw, that 423 Watt was the power draw when I ran the OC scanner in after burner. I guess the point of my question was to put my mind at ease that I made the correct choice re: PSU...It was my first build, I am 51 and until 8 months ago, I struggled to find the ON button. But I am a Motor sport fan, so, as the real thing was out of my reach, I decided to set up a home sim rig with all the bells and whistles, and needed a GPU to drive 3 50 inch screens and a VR set up.

Well you can buy a 1.6KW PSU, then go to this link
Under the XOC sections there are couple of Bioses that have no power limit, download the Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF bios, there is the guide on how to flash bios in the same section.
After you flash the Galax Bios, there is no more power limit, the card could use 1000W if it wants to as these bioses are reserved for extreme overclockers on LN2
The problem is the GPU and VRAM would burn itself out in about a week of constant load with the included AIO.
Though tbh you already have the best 2080 Ti in the world, there is no point pushing it any further without damaging it...

Last edited:
System Name JustApc
Processor Ryzen 3900x
Audio Device(s) On board
Software Win 10 pro
@londiste

Nope, not loop stable..loop stable is 2160 and 1200.

Those other readings are good for 4 or 5 loops, but by the end , because of temps it runs consistently at 2100, and that is what I use for everyday usage.

Well you can buy a 1.6KW PSU, then go to this link
Under the XOC sections there are couple of Bioses that have no power limit, download the Galax RTX 2080 Ti HOF bios, there is the guide on how to flash bios in the same section.
After you flash the Galax Bios, there is no more power limit, the card could reach 1000W if it wants too, the problem is it would burn itself out in about a week of constant load.
Lol, as I said, not long ago I did not know where the on button was on a pc, messing about with bios on a AU$ 5k card is not on my list of things I am even close to being competent at.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
@londiste
Nope, not loop stable..loop stable is 2160 and 1200.
Those other readings are good for 4 or 5 loops, but by the end , because of temps it runs consistently at 2100, and that is what I use for everyday usage.
Lol, as I said, not long ago I did not know where the on button was on a pc, messing about with bios on a AU$ 5k card is not on my list of things I am even close to being competent at.

With the stock bios the card will never exceed 415W or just momentarily exceeding it, your entire PC would never use more than 550W in game. So a 1000W PSU is actually the best option (50% load is the highest point on the efficiency curve).
Typical efficiency of a Plus GOLD PSU is 90% at 50% load, so your PC use 550W DC power and the PSU pull 550x100/90= 611W AC at the wall
Anyways you have one the best 2080 Ti in the world, enjoy it :D

Oh and can you do everyone a favor and use download GPU-Z, save your 2080 Ti Bios and upload it to Techpowerup please, your specific 2080 Ti model is quite rare that TPU doesn't have it in the bios collection and some people would like to test your 415W power limit bios.

Last edited: