• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

how/where to start making softwares with GUI using C#?

rafiaksd3

Recently I posted a forum here and I got to learn that I should start C# programming. Now I am almost finished with the programming in C#. Now I want to learn to actually start making real software (not console ones) with GUI and Buttons and other stuffs.

So where should I learn to make C# Software?
Can you guys please give me links on videos of C# software development playlists?

Thanks for all the help guys!!

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
It's really quite simple because of Visual Studio. Since you're starting off, I would make a C# WinForms Application project. Using the WYSIWYG editor, I would first put in the necessary containers, go into their properties, and set them to "Dock.Fill" and adjust their settings (e.g. columns/rows) to make it the way you want it. Once you have your container done, start dropping in controls like buttons, text boxes, combo boxes, lists, and so on.

Once the UI is to your liking (remember to give them good names), you need to tie your code behind to events on the GUI. For example, if you double click a button, Visual Studio will take you to the C# code and create the event handler for when that button is clicked. If you want to add a DoubleClick event to that button, go back to the UI, select the button, look at the properties window, and click the little lightning bolt tab to switch to events. Find the Double Click event, either type a name in the box or simply double click in it and it will automatically name and generate it. When the button is double clicked, the code in that subroutine will execute.

Now for the opposite. To place data/change the UI from the code behind, it is simply [name of object].[property to modify]. For example, TextBox1.Text = "hello world" would make TextBox1 display hello world. Really simple.

rafiaksd3

It's really quite simple because of Visual Studio. Since you're starting off, I would make a C# WinForms Application project. Using the WYSIWYG editor, I would first put in the necessary containers, go into their properties, and set them to "Dock.Fill" and adjust their settings (e.g. columns/rows) to make it the way you want it. Once you have your container done, start dropping in controls like buttons, text boxes, combo boxes, lists, and so on.

Once the UI is to your liking (remember to give them good names), you need to tie your code behind to events on the GUI. For example, if you double click a button, Visual Studio will take you to the C# code and create the event handler for when that button is clicked. If you want to add a DoubleClick event to that button, go back to the UI, select the button, look at the properties window, and click the little lightning bolt tab to switch to events. Find the Double Click event, either type a name in the box or simply double click in it and it will automatically name and generate it. When the button is double clicked, the code in that subroutine will execute.

Now for the opposite. To place data/change the UI from the code behind, it is simply [name of object].[property to modify]. For example, TextBox1.Text = "hello world" would make TextBox1 display hello world. Really simple.
I actually need tutorial of doing those stuffs. So can you just give some video tutorial links?
Thanks for the reply!!

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Check out MSDN website. Everything you'll ever need for .NET platform or programming for Windows in general is already there.
Now I am almost finished with the programming in C#
If you need a tutorial on making winforms, you haven't even started programming in C#.
For starters create a new Winforms project in Visual Studio and use drag and drop to create your first form. Experiment with properties - see what they do and how do they affect the appearance of form elements.
Then dig into events.

P.S. In order to understand C# and .NET platform better I have started without IDE. Just notepad and and csc compiler. Even GUI applications came out alright with some effort.