• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP 17T-3200 Wont power on ( FIX )

nickcaper

I just registered here to say THANKS to the person that posted the 2 button procedure.
HERE

I just bought a Refurb from HP model 17T-3200 in Feb 2013. Its now Oct 2013.
The laptop is powerful and works great but.. and this is a big BUT!

The charger is just 120 watts and a few of my friends have said to me it gets very hot!

I also noticed it would get very hot. For a powerful computer such at this one I thought it would require more watts.
Well recently the OEM charger just died. I freaked out. SO I took a volt meter and measured the inner pin ( positive ) and outer shell ( negative ) DC output. It should have ben about 19.5 volts. It was nothing!. So I knew it was the charger. I ordered a refurb charger from ebay for just 13$. In a week the charger also died but before it completely went out the charger would sometimes not charge. The green light would come on but still would not charge. I would leave it unplugged for a while and plug it back in to the laptop and it would then start charging. Well. Eventually it just died completely and would have no green light and no charge. SO I said to myself, I need a legit new HP charger and Ill get one with higher watts so the charger dont get so hot. The heat was was I suspect made the OEM one die. It must have burned out.

I learned that as long at you get the right tip size ( in my case a 7mm by 5mm with center pin ) then the charger will work.
I ordered a new 180 watt charger from Amazon.
I plugged it up and NOTHING> not even a charge LED on the laptop would come on.

I checked the voltage on the charger and it was good! So the charger was fine.

Thats when I gulped real big and freaked out.
We are talking about a $1000+ laptop.
Dead!

Well I started using my Android GS2 to search for a possible remedy and this was the ONLY forum that had the answer.

I plugged the laptop into the HP Charger I got from Amazon.
I pressed the Beats Audio button and the power button for about 10 seconds. Nothing!
Did it a second time and ( LET THERE BE LIGHT )! LOL The laptop LED for the charge port came on and the Power button LED on the laptop came on. I then tapped the power button and BAM! We had power!

IT WORKED!

:rockout:

The Laptop is charger as I type and is working. Im on it now!

So... I want to thank you guys for a GREAT thread!

:respect: