1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HP Pavilion dv2000 new hdd installation problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Rado D, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Hello Guys,I will need your help here.I have a colleagues HP laptop here which needs to change the dying hdd..so I've purchased a new one for her.Its a WD Scorpio black..the problem is,that Ive installed the hdd in the laptop,but when I go to bios to set the 1st boot device to be able to install Vista,there are no options in the bios,just one - hdd diagnostic and memory test,where the first one takes ages..I had several laptops before and have changed the hdd on them and it always worked out of the box..so what do you thing I shall do?what is the problem here??
    THANKS!!
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't need to change the boot device. If the HDD you put in is blank, it will boot off the CD regradless.

If it doesn't you might have to push the special key to select the boot device, usually F12 of F10.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Ive tried F10 and F12,none of them worked,after the initial boot screen,with two options - escape and F2 to enter the the bios,the screen just go black.
  4. Niarod

Niarod

Thanks Received:
    But have you tried just to go ahead with Vista's installation on that hd without entering the bios setup? Does the OS see the hard drive on the list of partitions for install?
  5. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    as a said,after reboot,the screen just goes blank,wether the vista disc is in the drive,or not.

EDIT: all right,so Ive tried to put the original hdd back and guess what..the bios is just like when I install the new hdd..plus when I did this I've just remembered back,that when I was having a look at her laptop at work,a while ago,it was the same..so I was definitely not caused by swapping the hdd..I'll try two things now,I will disconnect the motherboard battery and if it doesnt help I will try to update the bios,if there is any.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  6. Niarod

Niarod

Thanks Received:
    Sorry that escaped my eye ;-)
    Till i think of some workaround (if any), i'd try a simple bios reset, turn off, unplug power cord and take the battery out and then keep the power button pushed on for a 10 secs...see if it recognizes the hdd
    Rado D says thanks.
  7. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    thanks,I'll try these..
  8. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Try pressing the <esc> key to get it to display the boot order menu.
  9. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    There should be an option that lets you change the SATA mode, "Enhanced" and "Combined", etc. change that.
  10. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I dont think options would be that detailed for laptop bios's
  11. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Select models have the option in system configuration to enable\dis-able enhanced SATA mode.

If you do not see the boot order menu in the bios under system configuration menu, make sure the drive is seated properly and\or the connector is not damaged or has bent pins.

And, make sure, in the same menu; you have enabled boot from cd\dvd.
  12. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Yea it's just a disable/enable option.
  13. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    Ive disconnected the battery on the laptops motherboard and that actually helped to get into the fully functional bios..but the DAMN thing still doesnt boot from the dvd drive!damn it..
    Ive created a bootable USB drive so thats my last try..if this fails,Im done,unless someone here will find a solution.

EDIT:Aaah,Ive finally got it work.I managed to boot from the USB drive.So I guess its just the stupid laptop.which doesnt let you boot from the dvd drive.I know,its hard to believe..
  14. Niarod

Niarod

Thanks Received:
    Glad you solved...i guess the hd is fine now but the DVD drive is making jokes (lol that laptop's messed up :laugh:)
    There may be many reasons for that from incompatibility with the DVD Disc brand, a scratched disc, or the dvd-drive might be f****d up (see for a firmware but usually for slim laptop dvd-drives there's very little around, only the vendor might have any on their support site)

Ask if u need any more help :toast:
    Cheers
  15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Actually, it is more likely that the DVD drive is just broken to the point that it won't boot media.:laugh:
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  16. Rado D

Rado D

Thanks Received:
    We will find out easily soon,cos I will probably have the same laptop model coming for same service action again..I will then post if its drive was same F****D up.
  17. vbx New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have an older HP latop. The HP DV1000 and I upgraded my HD with no problem.

However, my OLD HD wasn't "dying". All I did was "CLONE" the HD using the free software provided by WD.

Cloning the drive made things much easier. No need to mess with Boot, settings or whatever.

So, if her HD isn't dead. Just clone it and call it a day.