1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hurt Locker Copyright Extortion Racket In Tatters, Plaintiffs' Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'News' started by qubit, Dec 31, 2011.

1. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I think you did, actually. Your complaint with the analogy was trivial and unrelated to the actual subject. Your initial response was a clear indication that you didn't understand the subject. If that's inaccurate, then perhaps you can grace me with a more substantial response. Until then don't bother replying with something like this, and please PM it to me. Thank you.

We shouldn't do anything about pirates. We should be looking at society, and why people have to resort to pirating in the first place.
  2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Someone's gotta be the MailMan. Enjoy the thread while it lasts. Threads like this are just perfect for finding out which users engage in illegal activities.
    You can argue over why it's right and wrong and use your car and tree analogys all you like; the fact is, this thread is not about whether pirating is right and wrong or why it's done (even though it's turned that way) so you were all pretty much trolling before I even got here.
  3. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    All I see here is you trying to justify your trolling, and obscuring it by blaming other people because they were trolling before you? Take accountability for your actions.

BTW the thread is obscured and off topic because of posts like yours. Just because other people made ignorant posts similar to yours before you did doesn't make it okay for you to do it. YOU just posted about how terrible piracy is and how pirates are bad, etc. Have you already forgotten that?
    digibucc says thanks.
  4. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I do. Your first post in this thread and every post after was trolling. Gonna take accountability for that?
  5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    trolling is not what you obviously think it is. if the topic of conversation has naturally changed, keeping in line with that topic is not trolling. if you think post titles are static barriers of what is allowed for discussion and what is not... welcome to the internet. i'm not advocating off topic, just saying "on topic" is grayer than "the title says this, so keep it at that"

trolling is posting something with the explicit desire to invoke an emotional response. (when that's not the intention of the thread)
  6. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just more trolling from you. I was combating trolling in my first post. I stand by everything I type or say, right or wrong. If you can explain what I said that could be construed as trolling in that first post or any other thereafter, then I will do my best to explain why I wrote it. Until then, I don't owe you a thing.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    See the edited post.

"Have to resort to" is an interesting choice of words indicating people have no choice. Which they totally do. In the western world anyhow. A lot of people are not resorting to it, they just do it because .. I don't know really. They want to eat the cake and keep it to or something? The number of people that pirate stuff because "down with the Man" (or whatever) and actually mean that are likely very few. Oftentimes it feels like a prayer of some sorts people use to make themselves feel good about it.

While it's true we have other problems and so on piracy is a part of it and everything is connected.
  8. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    I think what this has turned into is too far off of the OP; I would say it's deviating too much and it's the same as all the other threads that get locked by the 4th page. Yes I know Jummy will say because of posts like mine but really it's because people just can't have a civil debate without resorting to insults. And I have seen numerous offensive remarks in this thread.
  9. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll say this once. Keep your conversations on the topic an off of one another. I'm not going to close this thread down, but I will keep people who cannot post appropriately out.

Thanks for your cooperation.
  10. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    but the human desire to get something for nothing will not change, at least NEVER with the tactics that are currently used.

so if the tactics are useless in preventing piracy, and all they do is potentially reward companies for sales they never might have had in the first place, something is obviously wrong.

so instead of focusing on the pirates, who (again) likely wouldn't have bought the product anyway - focus on more effective ways of stopping them from being able to, without showing obvious disdain for your paying customers. wide nets are not ok, as innocent people will get snared, and this is not a life-threatening situation worthy of such action.

when i can't play a paid game 5 years after release, because of the copy protection they used to stop pirates from getting it in the first 2 days, the company is doing something wrong. pirates are inevitable, they need to do business without burdening the people who PAY THEM.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  11. LordJummy

LordJummy New Member

Thanks Received:
    re·sort /riˈzôrt/

Verb:
    Turn to and adopt (a strategy or course of action, esp. a disagreeable or undesirable one) so as to resolve a difficult situation.

This is the actual definition ^

People require entertainment, and crave art. Many who pirate can't afford to download albums, go to the movies, etc. Does that make them unworthy of the art? Does that immediately make them evil wrongdoers? I have a feeling if the pirates who can't afford the material suddenly had plenty of means, they would probably pay for the things they pirated.

If I were a recording artist, I would want people to hear my art regardless of whether they could afford it. This is a conversation too complex for a topic as specific as this threads'. This is all extremely subjective, and everything I am saying is my personal opinion.

I will retire from this discussion as there doesn't seem to be anyone serious left here. Unfortunately this is a trend I've noticed that has prevented me from posting much over the past couple months. Feel free to PM me if you have an argument with me you want to settle.

Thanks.
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I looked up that very word to make sure I understood it corectly. Which is why I added "in the western world" where people tend to have money. Yet they pirate. I know tons of people who have not bought a single movie in a decade and yet they have them all in vast HDD libraries. And while one can agree that art should be for everyone it can cost a shitton of cash to produce (look at all the blockbuster movies for instance), how would that work (if I'm allowed to go on a tangent)? One can also argue that the pursue of creating art is lost in greed, and it is. It's unfortunatly how the world works and that will not change if not God, Santa Claus and the Flying Spaghetti monster team up and take care of it.
  13. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    This is just great Frick. You see what you did? Now they won't stay and argue why being poor justifies their massive pirated collection Justin Bieber videos and songs.
    digibucc says thanks.