1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I got some free hardware, now.. what can I do with this?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TechnicalFreak, Feb 29, 2008.

1. TechnicalFreak Guest

Ok , first let me tell you that there is nothing wrong with the hardware except for the TI-4400 (because that he got from me a long long time ago..and now I got it back).

This is what I got for free (also look at the pics - "evidence"):
    ASUS P4GPL-X, PCI-Express 16X. With it I also got a P4 @ 3.0Ghz and memory (cheap, same model/speed/brand - Elixir DDR400). No cooler what so ever, that he has on his C2D rig and it's a Zalman.

ABIT IS7 Series P4 mobo, I know nothing about this one.. It's only the mobo + drivers etc.

Graphic cards:
    1.Broken PNY nVidia GeForce TI-4400 (very old).
    2.Creative labs Riva TNT2 (even older).
    3.PowerColor ATI R96-HD3, AGP8X, 256Mb (Radeon 9600Pro) with stock cooler.

If you look at my current system specs (and ignore that I am building a Phenom based rig that is waiting for it's graphics card and Asus Vento case..), can anyone tell me if I should put this current system "on the shelf" and build up the P4 and use that instead for the F@H - 24/7 rig instead? All I need for the mobo is a good cooler, and a graphics card.

And speaking of graphics cards.. The ATI R96-HD3 is it better or worse than my 9800SE?
    My 9800SE is soon to be unlocked and will then use all 8 pipes, but it has only 128Mb ram compared to the R96-HD3..

Thankful for any replies given.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The memory that followed the X-Series mobo is "elixir" DDR 400, but can it use faster/better?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would also like to thank my friend Igge for the free computer parts.
  2. Sh00t1st

Sh00t1st New Member

Thanks Received:
    sell the old hardware and buy new hardware would be the best advice, just upgrade your current rig :) get newer maybe more ram, a beter agp card and you should have alot more fun than just turning it into a folding rig. 1 gig should do just fine tho, i would mainly focuse on getting a better graphics card if i was you.

this would probably be easily attainable if you sell everything and it blows the crap out of the 9800 you have :).
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131081

or this one too
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102709
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  3. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    if your giving this stuff away free. i'm interested in the abit mb. i really hate the gigabyte board i'm using now.
  4. TechnicalFreak Guest

No no no.. I got it for free.. Btw, sending it for free over seas would not be free for me. If you lived in sweden - you would get it for free (that I can promise!).

Sound nice. So what do you mean exactly? I have 1 P4 (the one on the pic) and then this
    (AMD 64 3000+). I mean, this system I have right now is total crap. It doesn't even support dual channel for the ram. The P4 mobo on the other hand supports dual channel (DDR-800 is max. speed)
    AND it supports PCI-Express 16X.. So should I get rid of the AMD rig (this one) or the P4 parts (the ASUS one on the pic above).

Thanks for the replies & have a wonderful weekend!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2008
  5. Scrizz

Scrizz

Thanks Received:
    9800 is much better than 9600
  6. unsmart

unsmart New Member

Thanks Received:
    your 3000+ is better for folding 24/7 because it's a little more efficient then the P4. I would also use the TNT2 and one stick of ram if just folding, no point in paying for more energy then you need to.
    Like others have said ether sale the unused parts for upgrades on your main system or build a PC for someone who could use it.
    The 9800se is better then the 9600.
  7. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you're interested in selling, I'm interested in the mobo, cpu and ram.

It'll make a decent upgrade for my daughter's pc, which is just making its final death rattles...

I'll pay the shipping, I'm in Europe. PM me if interested.
  8. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    £free thats my favorate price too :)
  9. rangerone766

rangerone766

Thanks Received:
    oops i misread, my bad
  10. TechnicalFreak Guest

Ok, then I'll sell the P4 parts (mobo etc) and do something else with the money... Perhaps spend it on the system.. But I don't think I can get much for the parts.
    Oh, btw.. I am using 1 more stick of ram in my system now, now it say 1,5Gb ram :)

Hmm.. I could sell all of the things when I have built my Phenom rig and buy some "eye" candy for it...
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't forget me... ;)
  12. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Haha I had a TNT2 awile ago. Pretty good card for CS1.6 and stuff like that.