1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i5-3570k overheating

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by theoneseeker, Nov 5, 2012.

1. theoneseeker New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, recently my CPU started overheating i.e. on boot it goes to 70*C after a few minutes in idle. few programs opened. I built the pc, roughly, 2-3 months ago, and haven't had any problems so far. I'm thinking it's either the stock fan that went loose or something? My motherboard is steady at 25*C, so it has to be something internally around the CPU.

My computer's specs:
    Motherboard - ASUS Sabertooth z77
    Intel i5-3570k 3,4Ghz boxed with intel stock fan. (came with thermal paste added on, so I haven't applied any additional thermal paste)

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Check the heatsink, it sounds like something is lose or not working properly. Also, check the voltage, lower it as much as possible for now and report back.

Before anyone starts to complain about stock, you can reliably OC a 3570 to 4Ghz no problem with it.

3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    +1 Hopefully you have some experience removing and replacing a CPU heatsink, including having and applying thermal paste.

Also check to make sure the fan is working! I've seen that happen a few times... not plugged in properly, wires stuck in blades, etc.

4. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    One of those wonderful push pins is either not seated or broken.

5. SonDa5

SonDa5

Thanks Received:

More than likely.

6. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Fans running?

7. mediasorcerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    My first thought, as it happened to me on my last rigg lol.

8. theoneseeker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heatsink worked, I reseated it since it had gotten slightly loose. But I still get a CPU overheat after about 6 hours runtime on my pc whether it's idling or not.

so it seems like my CPU gradually starts getting warmer and warmer. and I checked the thermal compound put on by Intel. it was VERY poorly applied by Intel, so now I have bought some new thermal paste.

9. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    yea it probably is immensely badly applied if you remove the heatsink :shadedshu. You are ALWAYS supposed to reapply paste.

10. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Too much paste can also make your temperatures run up pretty easily.

11. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I afraid something others is maybe problem...
    I hear few cases with similar scenario in first months for IB 3570k, 3770k.
    Suddenly need more voltage for some clock and much hotter about 15-20C, or suddenly temps are 20C more with stock clock.
    How many degrees in C you had before notice temps raise up on 70C???

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Overclocking your processor too hard can degrade the transistors inside your CPU. It's not unrealistic that more voltage would be required to keep the same speeds when the CPU's transistors have been degrading due to heat and excessive voltage. I'm not convinced that this is the case here though.

First thing is first, replace that stock Intel cooler and properly apply whatever thermal compound you end up using. Also make sure that the CPU is running at stock speeds and voltages determined by the motherboard.

13. theoneseeker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, guys.

So I checked the voltage, cpu temperature and my cpu fan on startup/boot. My CPU drastically increased to 70 degrees celsius and fan was at around 1500 rpm, the core sped was 3,4 Ghz ( so not overclocked at all) and the voltage was around 1,07 for the CPU. I shut it down since I didn't feel comfortable in overheating it more. The drastic heat improvement in around a minute or two makes no sense with my fan working correctly...?

14. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Are you absolutely sure the cooler pins are securely in the motherboard? Sometimes the only way to tell is looking at the back of the board. The white nylon catches should be all the way throught and the the black pushpins in the middle through as well... all of them.

15. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    did you clean the old thermal paste off your CPU and heatsink and reapply the thermal paste when you reseated the heatsink. You have to reapply the thermal paste EVERY time you remove the heatsink from the CPU

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    If you are having issues with the stock fan buy an after market solution with a backplate and install that, those are much more secure

17. theoneseeker New Member

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I did a mistake with applying the thermal paste on removing the heatsink and then plugging it, so that has been done now and I checked the pins ( looked as if they weren't plugged in all the way). Hopefully this should cover the problem unless I have destroyed my CPU fan pins. :-(
    I will return after my test boot, and thanks for the help and tips on what procautions to take.
    Just one last thing, though. If the 3-pin slot (I believe, can't remember as of right now) for the CPU-Fan is broken, can I use the assistan fan 3-pin slot and get the same performance, without any issues? OR would I have to invest in a complete new MOBO if that is the case...?

18. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can. Your BIOS probably has a warning if nothing is plugged in to the CPU slot... you can turn that off (usually in a hardware montoring section of BIOS). You will lose CPU fan control if the motherboard has it, but that's not much of a big deal.