1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 or i5? HT worth it?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Laurijan, May 10, 2012.

1. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, while that list shows applications that have been designed to use "multi-threading", it doesnt necessarily mean there will be noticable gains of HT compared to a regular multi-core CPU. Also that list doesnt list WHICH versions of those applications are needed for gains. Excel is one example. You need to use the lastest version. Older versions are single threaded. And for gaming? Well, as we have seen many times, going from single core to dual core means great benefit, esp. in reducing lag frames. But dual to quad is marginal. And quad to quad with HT makes no noticeable difference.

So let's be honest. If this guy is deciding on investing his last $100 on a CPU with HT or a better GPU... then go for the better GPU :pimp:

2. T4C Fantasy

T4C Fantasy CPU & GPU DB Maintainer

Thanks Received:
    i disagree, my 3770k creams the 2600k i had, well i agree on the oc temps, but when you are only using air i can clock 200mhz down for the same performance

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    yeeeeeah 'multitasking' is sooooo 'enthusiast' hahaha Sorry, could not withstand it...

4. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    Well i say i7. Why? Probably more future proof.

5. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    only way a CPU is future proof is to swap it with another since the core isnt modular. the 2600K doesnt lead the 2500K by too much so it negates having to use HT honestly.

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the extra logical cores can help under heavy VT workloads, all the K edition chips support VT, however the non-K and SB-E chips support VT-d which improves virtualized I/O performance.

Basically, anything that can utilize more threads will and anything that doesn't won't have a problem because the i7 is just as fast as the i5 thread-for-thread. However the extra cache and logical threads improves performance over 4 threads.

Couldn't agree more. I got my i7 3820 because I run a number of VMs, I'm in need of re-encoding all of my video to the same format (which the 3820 can do reasonably unlike the old Phenom II 940,) and because I wanted an Enthusiast platform with a better upgrade path. However I looked at a number of reviews before hand and in almost every case for video games, the i5 is just as good as all the faster solutions with more threads and more cores.

If you're going to game, go with the i5 and invest that money elsewhere. Also honestly, part of the reason I got SB-E was my refusal to buy a mainstream platform after having to buy decent hardware for so many years I just wanted something a little better. It's up to you, the i7 definitely won't disappoint but the i5 should be enough.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  7. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Encoding using AutoGk:-
    Q6600 1hr 14min avg
    i5 2500k 33min avg

8. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Ok, but when you can get a bump of 400mhz more out of the 2600k due to temperature tolerance(at the same max load temp)....

Sorry I'm still having a hard time understanding why/how Ivy is "that much greater" from an overclock standpoint.

9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    In SOME programs it is but the average difference between IB and SB is around 200Mhz but that it. If you already have a CPU similar to its performance then IB is not needed but if you are coming from say AM3/775 then IB would be a good choice but this statement all goes to budget and what you get find for the right price.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Scheich

Thanks Received:
    Real man use real cores, wait .. who said that. Oh damn. Anyway, most games only use 1-2.5 cores and even then they suck doing so. Safe the money for the next upgrade or party some, makes more sense.

Many years ago i was 15 too, i understand what u are going through, tough times...

11. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Ivy has more features (ie native USB3, PCI Gen 3 and whatnot), and after OC has the same performance as the SB counterpart when OCed... Yes it won't be as high of a clock but since Ivy beats SB perf per clock wise, it'll even out.

I see no reason not to go 3570K over 2500K

12. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Id go with the HT cpu anyday of the week.

I was kicking it last night and turning off HT and running certain programs and Yup, HT all the way.

Here watch this video, the guy is kinda a dip but he makes things easy to understand HERE

Id wait for now. Wait for a new revision on IB and grab a 2500 or 2600K for now.
    Besides pci-e 3.0 was shown to be a joke.

13. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    he said it's used for day to day and gaming, HT won't help much for those, specially not 100$ worth

my guess is pcie gen 3 is going to help in the future, not for now

14. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    I use my machine for day to day also gaming so whats the big deal? Im more then happy with my cpu and have a board that supports IB but why waste the cash on a earlie adoption.

15. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    yet you want to waste money on HT? The difference between 2500k and 3570k is really small, specially compared to the diff between HT and non-HT version of the CPUs

Last edited: May 11, 2012
    fullinfusion says thanks.
  16. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    HT is simple, it Kicks ass.

HT turns a small block into a Super charged mighty mouse :toast:

17. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    It's more like an ECU remap, because it's using unused resources. When a CPU is running at 100% on all cores without hyper threading, there are parts of each core that aren't being used even on modern super-scalar CPUs. HyperThreading adds logical threads that use these unused resources to churn out a little more horsepower. The extra cache is to try to keep system memory from getting hit as often with the extra threads on the CPU.

18. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, and thats why I love HT.

I used to be an Amd fan but not any more... I had 4 core, 6 core, 8 core and nothing comes close to this Intel cpu :rockout:

Anyways I guess It's up to one's budget on what they buy. Me Im sticking with this settup for a few more months till Intel revise there IB proc :D

19. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have 2x 2500k's @ 4.7ghz and 1x 2600k @4.5ghz. I can tell you now that I would not trade my 2600k for either of my 2500k's. Don't get me wrong and I'm not try to start a flame war with other 2500k owners... If you don't have the money to get a 2600k then the 2500k is a great chip, but if you can afford a 2600k or ib then get it. People that tell people to only by such and such because that's all you need are full of horse shit! You're on a tech forum we want more than the avg pc user.. better is always better! :toast:

fullinfusion and brandonwh64 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    ^
    great comment :toast:

*edit* sorry for the bitch slap icon, I hit the wrong key lol. Beer tap is what I was going for.

Mindweaver says thanks.
  21. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    np.. lol :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    This

THIS THIS THIS

god damn, give the guy the right answer and put ur epeens away.

23. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    What does a Holy Dam have to do with this? :confused: I think we have all given him plenty of answers. Telling him to buy a chip that's only 100 doll hairs more is us showing him our epeens? If we were doing that we would have said, "Zomygod get a i7-3960X Extreme Edition".. I think you need to learn what an epeen is... like I stated before if he has the money.. Why not get the chip with HT?... What if he doesn't plan to upgrade for a couple of years?? spending that little extra is worth it. :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. fullinfusion

Thanks Received:
    ^
    Jesus again you spat it out better then I could :respect:

Mindweaver says thanks.