1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

If you have higher framerates, do you have a gaming advantage?

Discussion in 'Games' started by vawrvawerawe, Nov 18, 2012.

1. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    If the framerate of the system is over the monitors refresh rate... I will leave it at that.

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Its all in the mouse pad. You want a really expensive one

3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    TBH I thought you were a kid too, but it turns out you're superhuman. Homo superior. Lightning reflexes, titanic brain that lets you suck up knowledge like a sponge and god knows what other superpowers you have.

4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    LOL....:twitch::rockout::roll:
    Is that a gay king?

5. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    :confused:

6. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Wait, what was this thread about again? Oh yeah...
    Common people. If you have nothing to add to the answers already given, please don't distract the thread. We know where it will end up otherwise. :shadedshu

Seriously, half of this crap should be in general nonsense.

7. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Wait did you answer the OP? Okay then.

To answer the OP I would say this. The frame rate has little to do with the way you play a game. But if you play MMO games then there is a factor involved like lag. The faster you internet connection is the "better the game plays". But you could have one computer with 30FPS and one that gets 100FPS and the only thing you would see any way would be 30FPS. It is all skill and how fast your connection is.
    If you suck like I do then no matter what computer you have you will get powned every time. This is JMHO.

I wish they had the no thanks button here like it is over there at GN.

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Now this is exactly what I'm talking about regarding not taking everything you hear on the net seriously.

There are plenty games where stealth is an option and the frame rate can be significantly better using it vs open combat, Crysis being one of them.

Back when Crysis came out some were still on P4s. A single core P4 could play the game, but took performance hits when heavy firefights broke out.

Depends on the system spec and the game, but still today there are cases where style of play can change frame rates.

trickson says thanks.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    For me, personally, yes, having a faster frame rate matters, and makes me play better. That point where it doesn't matter...is far above 60 FPS/60 Hz, whatever.

Everyone's ears are more or less sensitive than someone else's. People can hear things others cannot, see further, or even, not see colors at all...sound, technically, can be translated to "FPS". 440 "FPS", would be an "A" note.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    In the past there were framerate glitches to exploit (Q3A), but in general, high framerate is good because you don't have to deal with graphics lag and all the stuttering and pauses that degrade your concentration.

11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    If your good I guess it could make you better. But if you suck your still goin to suck

jgunning and AlienIsGOD say thanks.
  12. Outback Bronze

Outback Bronze

Thanks Received:
    If they both had the same skills/connection etc but one was synced at 60hz and the other one at 120hz then id say the dude at 120hz has the upper hand.

I have no proof though. Just an educated guess.

13. silapakorn

silapakorn

Thanks Received:
    Higher framerate means better looking games. That's enough advantage for me.

14. DOM

DOM

Thanks Received:
    Vaw do you play bf3? add me :)

It doesn't matter it matters on the person some can have all the latest tech and still blow lol

I see ppl with 680 talk a lot of smack on bf3 XD

15. Vinska

Vinska

Thanks Received:
    Well, I play Serious Sam HD on deathmatch servers sometimes (when not sp'ing).
    Before, I had a computer that barely met the minimum requirements, so to say.
    With the settings that allowed me to see well enough[1] I used to have 15-35 FPS on deathmach servers. (30-55 FPS on SP.)
    Now that I bought this new computer, I have 70-120 FPS on deathmach (90-120 is SP). And I must say, with this increase in framerate, I suddenly started to get ~2x frags to what I used to get on my old computer! Double the frags? Suddenly, after getting a new computer? Quite obvious, the extra FPS helped me a lot. Also, I started to do much better on SP too. No wonder - this game is VERY fast-paced. Faster paced than any other game I played.

[1] The graphics of this game have insanely huge customization options. And by saying "so I could see well enough", well, I'll give You an insane example of customization: On this game, I can easily set the graphics to run at few 100s FPS... but make it unplayable due to one of the options making the game, uhm, render the graphics in a rendering resolution of [!!!] 16x16 presenting it in 1080p =d

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    anny thing with a fps of an bove 40-60fps would do good, any thing under 40 you can start counting frames..

Vinska says thanks.
  17. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Well...

As a long time gamer (its been something like 25years now) SKILL makes all the difference and it cant be bought. However, Being somebody who was refused a more beefier PC by my dad because I wanted to play games I was running a Intel PIII@500Mhz paired with 128MB-256MB PC100 SDRAM with a lowly 32MB Nvidia TNT2 while everyone else I knew were running XP Athlons that exceeded 1GHz in almost all cases and running 9800Pro's or series 4 Nvidia Ti cards with 512-1GB PC-2700 or 3200 Ram...

There was no way I could compete with them on the same level and Im not a bad player. So there has to be a balance Old hardware cant be completely ruled out but there is a certain point where its just totally useless no matter how highly skilled the player is.

Its like flogging a dead horse. no matter how much you rage the dead horse aint gonna come back to life or move any faster.

My current rig itself is slightly dated but It doesnt hold me back at all and i can still run games like a boss.

So long as I have the confidence that I have some solid performing PC, I will continue to dominate the battlefield unless 'my' internet lets me down... Neighbour has a 20mb connection but signal strength can sometimes be quite hit n miss. Most of the time its around 70-80% which is good but occasionally it drops to 60% and then it starts to lose packets and I lag, rubber band and get serious hit detection issues.

All of which will be no more next month when i get paid...

------

So your quality of internet plays a big part in your gaming performance.

18. droopyRO

droopyRO

Thanks Received:
    Ping lag > FPS talking about Battlefield 3 here, i played much better on servers in my coutry or with low ping then if i lowered my settings to get >60FPS.

19. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    The only upgrade I did that I believe gave me an advantage was like 9 years ago I spent $800 on one of the first widescreen monitors. At lan parties my friends were still using standard 4:3 displays so I could see an extra inch or so more of the map on each side compared to what they could see.

20. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I played CS since it was in beta around 1999 and at the time I was poor and living out on my own with a POS AMD athlon K6-3D 450Mhz CPU 128MB SDRAM and a ATI 3D Rage Pro 64MB AGP. I was averaging 20-35FPS and sometimes hitting 60FPS when I tweaked the death out of the Goldsource engine. I still played well enough to win a spot on a CAL-Main team and average a positive KD on matches and pubs SO as others have said, SKILL is the greatest weapon although more FPS helps.

Crunching for Team TPU
  21. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    This is the best looking answer I have seen in this thread.

22. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I see you are talking about when it comes to shooters.
    regardless of the price , the importance is being able to run the game at the refresh rate of your monitor or above 60.

I tend to play Tribes: Ascend a lot which is also considered the fastest shooter currently out there.

You need:-
    Steady fps at the refresh rate of your monitor or above 60.
    Low ping, preferably less than 65
    Decent mouse which does not 'skip'
    Decent mousing surface

Finally but not least:-
    Persistence and many hours of practice.

Turning off some of the eye candy can actually give you an advantage.
    For example sun glare can block your view of where the enemy maybe.

23. uuuaaaaaa

Thanks Received:
    i play quake and the frame rate and monitor refresh rate makes a huge difference. If you want to be good you need 120Hz monitor and stable 125fps. It actually makes visible difference. I usually force enemy models to a bright color and remove all the fancy post processing effects. If the games allows for it configure it like this:

http://www.esreality.com/files/inlineimages/2010/79627-cfg0000.jpeg

customization is everything ))

24. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    I have never understood why people do shit like that, or play at a stupid low resolution like 800x600 to get 1000 FPS. It makes the game look retarded, takes skill out of the game, and takes fun out as well.

And yes, two similarly skilled gamers will benefit from having a higher framerate than a lower. In L4D2 I cannot play at less than 60fps or I start playing badly. I have to lower settings if I'm running FRAPS or else I can barely play. I get 120-300 FPS otherwise.

25. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried using DxTory to capture with? You can enable Distribution HDD Writing if you have more than one HDD and it literally removes all lag. I have recorded Metro 2033 at 720p with just a GTS 250 with no lag using just two mediocre speed HDDs. It also has a built in frame limiter you can set to any FPS.

Some games tend to fluctuate wildly from min to max frame rate. Even though they average what would normally be smooth frame rates, it can cause a weird kind of yo yoing with forward movement, as with NFS Most Wanted 2012 and Black Ops 2.

In this case I enable a frame rate cap, which can significantly improve smoothness of gameplay. So it's not just about how high a frame rate you're averaging, it has a lot to do with consistency of frame rate as well. Without the cap I can average 50 to 60 FPS in BO 2, but I get much smoother gameplay without a hint of lag if I cap it at 40 FPS.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012