1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

if you have melted your processor

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by bassmasta, Aug 2, 2007.

1. bassmasta Guest

well, I was not sure how much power I would need to add on another 0.01 ghz, so I put the power on auto. well, as it turns out, the bios decides the power by using the change in fsb versus your previous power consumption. this sucked, as I turned down my multiplier and turned up my fsb to do this. well, it put my power at 1.45 and turned on vcore over-power. I don't know what my temps were, but I was only surfing the net and got a bsod. I turned down everything to less than their origional settings, including power, but this ddn't help, and either windows explorer or windows host app would fail. I thought I turned the power too low, so it went up a notch. no boot, when I unplugged and tried again, cmos had reset itself. everything seems to be in order now, although I went from 3.015 ghz to 2.8, but I'm afraid if I melted my processor, just a little bit? the 1.37 volts, my temps were 58-60 on orthos. I can't imagine what 1.45 and vcore would do, considering that my cpu apparently melts at 75
  2. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    If you melted your CPU it wouldn't boot lol. Chances are you just over worked it a bit. Never let your BIOS set the power consumption, always set it yourself so you know you're going to get what you set it to.

2.8Ghz is good for an AMD system, so be happy with it, and if you do want to OC more (Who doesn't? lol) just be careful about how much voltage you put through the sucker, and watch your temps very closely.

Also you might want to try reseating your HSF.
  3. bassmasta Guest

lol there's a tuniq tower in the mail, anyway, I was just wondering if, maybe, bit of the processor melted>.> like enough to mess w/ windows, but not enough to screw up boot?
  4. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Stress test and find out :)
  5. kwchang007

kwchang007 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Set everything to stock, and run prime or orthros for a few hours.
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Would that also apply to Northbridge, Southbridge and FSB voltages? I never touched those and they're set at Auto.

(Sorry to jump in your thread bassmasta)
  7. bassmasta Guest

lol, np, I do that all the time, and it is a good point. DDR voltage could be added to your list there, as I was always curious.