1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I'm getting no sound from my desktop...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Black Panther, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    And I can't find the source of the problem.
    My pc's completely muted - no system sounds, no mp3 sounds, no dvd sounds, no youtube sounds...

At first I thought the Z5500 blew the subwoofer fuse, it happened once. But the control panel lights up, and if I press the 'test' button on the remote I can hear the "shhhh" sound from all the speakers. So they're functioning well.

In the Device Manager, I see no yellow "!" anywhere.

In Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices, my Xtreme Music sound card shows up. Nothing is greyed out. It gives me the option to test out the sounds of the XP sound scheme, I press 'play' and time passes as if the sound is really being played but I hear nothing.

Now the last thing I did with this pc was to try and get 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix work together with 2 x 1GB Elixir RAM (which didn't work out because voltage requirements were too different for both brands of ram and at the end I just left only the Ballistix in).
    When I was doing this experiment however I hadn't powered on the Z5500's so I can't say if I did have sound yesterday or not.
    And moreso, I doubt that a bit of RAM experimenting could have caused all this?

I am also sure (and have re-checked) that I plugged in the green/black/orange wires of the Z5500 securely to the back of the Xtreme music.

Is there something I'm missing out?
    Anyone can give me a clue where to check next please?
    Any help very appreciated - I miss my speakers' sound, and that of the laptop obviously isn't as awesome :rolleyes:

Btw this problem is of my desktop with the following specs (not the ones in my system specs):

E4300 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5B
    2 x 1 GB Crucial Ballistix @ 833Mhz 4-4-4-12
    BFG 8800GT OC2
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    first things first: try with onboard sound. It could be a hardware or a software problem, so narrow down the hardware possibilities.

1. Use analogue headphones/alternate speakers.
    2. Use a different sound card (onboard)
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Any possibility you may have accidently partially unseated the sound card during the experiment? Also have you run dxdiag? Any way you could have re enabled onboard sound? Just throwing stuff out there...
  4. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Yea and if none of that works...try useing system restore and go back to a date when it was working!!
  5. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    try a differet soud card ad a diffeet speaker/headset
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it working.
    Thanks.
    And special thanks to whom made all the holes at the back of the card look exactly the same.... Just perfect for idiots like me...
  7. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    glad to see that you got it to work!