1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ImDisk

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ahhzz, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    So, has anyone used ImDisk to create virtual Ram Drives? And if so, how do I create "images" of my game installs to load up when I want to play them?

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    How do I actually create a vritual image with this? Im trying it out.

3. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I think that this page (http://reboot.pro/15593/) specifically the fourth one down, indicates using a program to create an image from a Ram Disk. Best I can tell, you create the RamDisk, following directions. then perform your install (ie Install Skyrim, or Tribes:ascend {my project :) }) to that "disk". then, using that command line, or potentially as easy as right clicking the drive, create a saved "Disk Image", which can be dismounted and remounted upon request.... I hope :). I've got another stack of Ripjaws coming in tonite, and my plan is to set about 10G aside as a Ram Disk, install Tribes:ascend to it, and see what happens :) Lemme know if you spot something else, or different *cheers*

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  4. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    I did invoked this command
    "imdisk -a -s 400M -m R: -p "/fs:ntfs /q /y"
    and resized with the User CP. I will be loosening up my timings and install a kit of ridgebacks alongside some ripjawx to see if it's beneficial.

Left me with this for now
    [​IMG].
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
    Ahhzz says thanks.
  5. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    hahah, there's a right-click option :Save diskcontents as image file :) I'll be doin' some installing tonite!! I understand on stuff like Skyrim, that does a lot of caching, that it probably won't make a diff. But, I was seeing some posts in a diff forum, regarding times of 10 to 100 times the response of a solid SSD install for basic read/write testing. I'm hopeful :)

6. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'll bite. Having not studied the latest numbers for drive access, how does that stand up vs basic drives?

7. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    10x faster than the fastest SSD available.
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1793/5/

Here's an Atto also
    [​IMG]

Ran Bejeweled 3 from the drive (I know odds are a poor test, only game I have that fits in the drive right now), instant launch. Off hdd it takes a few seconds.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You could use Hardlinks so you could put the biggest files on the remdrive..

I use Dataram my self with Hardlinks.

9. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I know. Just was a quick test.

10. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    I'm thinking about setting up T:A and maybe Skyrim with Symbolic links, just to keep from reinstalling the mess. Just create the Ramdrive, mount it, copy the folder, rename the orig, and create the link. Hopefully that will work. I've not worked with symlinks yet, so we'll see what I can break :)

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Shiii, i would find that more annoying ( With Skyrim ).. When i was 1st starting to play that game i was trying to read the messages in the loading times and they were waaaayy to fast..

Other than that faster the better :).

12. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Interesting how the numbers break out...

[​IMG]

13. JrRacinFan

Thanks Received:
    Have to remember, I'm on Clarkdale. Faster the IMC, the faster your ram drive. ;)

14. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    i just wish i had 32GB of ram so i could install WoW :D

15. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    hahaha I was checking my install folders last night, and my Skyrim is already at 9.5 Gb, and that's just a few mods.... I'll never be able to fit that in a 10G RamDrive.... I suppose it would run well enough on 4Gb... may try that this weekend :)

Tribes:Ascend really kicks my GPU fans in high gear now (they're running 82C, and full speed fans), and my frame rate has gone up by about 10 to 20 frames, from what I recall. Since a lot of the update is dependent upon server side changes, I'm glad I've got a 7Mb pipe to keep it coming down :) Not a huge improvement, but it's a pretty good sized game...

Thinking about reinstalling Borderlands 2, and giving it a try this weekend.

16. Ahhzz

Ahhzz

Thanks Received:
    Hmm... was looking at GPUz to see how the temps were doing, and even tho I'm running in XF, one of the cards is at 68C right now, and the other looks like it had almost no load, sitting at 40C....