• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

In Need Of Diagnostic Help Please

TAMELESSTGR

Looking at motherboards, how do I know what the correct connection on my PSU goes to the ATX Power connector? Why are some 4 pin, and some 8 pin?

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 295

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
EATX power connector 24 pin + 4 +4 ( 8 for EATX CPU Aux Power must be connected to PSU )

Some boards and CPU will run with just +4 others must have both ( 8 ) connected for cpu Stability
It Depends on the power draw of the CPU

TAMELESSTGR

Ok folks, I ordered and installed a Gigabyte motherboard, and now the PC is operating normal (somewhat).

In the boot menu I select the DVD drive as that is where my HP Recovery disc is and I get an error that states the media can not be used. I did a little searching and apparently if the component isn't exactly the same as the original motherboard I am not allowed to recover Windows 7. Seriously?! So I have to purchase the actual OS now?

Attachments

• 20151129_215337.jpg
    20151129_215337.jpg
    815.2 KB · Views: 294
Sorta yeah.. Since the board you bought isn't HP, it doesn't have the HP SLIC table in the BIOS and the recovery media is locked out. There is a way around that but I'm not sure it can be discussed in the open here.

Edit: There should be a blue sticker with a Windows key somewhere on the case... Is there? If there is, you can download an ISO of the appropriate version of Windows (yes, that is legal) and use that key to activate it.

dorsetknob

Hp recovery disks are keyed to original motherboard Bios As a Oem install the OS will not install to 3rd party motherboards as its licence is linked to original motherboard

There is a way around that but I'm not sure it can be discussed in the open here.
No it cannot as that would be software piracy :)

dorsetknob

That's what I figured, but if his key sticker is intact it can be used legally so it's moot.

Download correct ISO
install then enter key then follow Microsoft prompts for phone Activation
You may be lucky often it works and you get reconized as legitimate but its not guaranteed

I'm actually banking on the fact that most people just use the factory recovery disks/partition, which contain the SLP key and never ask for the sticker key. Since he went right for the recovery disk, I'm going to bet his sticker key - assuming there is one - has never been used and will lock to this new motherboard.

TAMELESSTGR

^^^UPDATE^^^

I successfully installed Windows 7 Home Premium and drivers for the Gigabyte motherboard. I installed this dongle:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LWE14TO/?tag=tec06d-20

Now my connection to my wireless router only gets 2 bars. Before with the internal HP module I was getting all bars. My router is on my main floor and the desktop is in my basement. It took over 5 minutes for Google Chrome to download, so that's not going to cut it.

I would appreciate some help determining what type specification I need to replicate a strong wireless signal.

Thanks,
Ken

System Name Headshot
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair VI Hero ROG
Cooling Phanteks Glacier One 360 MPH
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengence LPX DDR4 @ 3200 16-18-18-18-36
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Vega64 (Linux)/Gigabyte RX 6600 (Windows VM)
Storage Cruscial P5 1TB nVME, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TBx2 (Home/Data), 2TB Seagate (Games)
Display(s) 2x Acer 1080P 144HZ
Case Phanteks Enthoo Luxe White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Stack (Schiit Audio Modi 2 DAC + Magni 3 AMP + Loki)
Power Supply eVGA Supernova 1000 G2
Mouse Razer DeathAdder V2
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Arch Linux with Windows 10 Gaming VM

TAMELESSTGR

I ordered the item from Amazon above, but looking at my motherboard I do not have a PCI Express slot, I have a PCI Express 3.0 slot, but the slot is much longer than the Gigabyte wifi card. Do I need to return that and look for another item?

TAMELESSTGR

Looks like I was able to pulg that card into the PCI Express 3.0 slot even though all of the pins are not used. Wifi working and much faster than the dongle.

rtwjunkie

PC Gaming Enthusiast
Supporter
Louisiana -Laissez les bons temps rouler!
System Name Bayou Phantom
Processor Core i7-8700k 4.4Ghz @ 1.18v
Motherboard ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 6
Cooling All air: 2x140mm Fractal exhaust; 3x 140mm Cougar Intake; Enermax T40F Black CPU cooler
Memory 2x 16GB Mushkin Redline DDR-4 3200
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Xc
Storage 1x 500 MX500 SSD; 2x 6TB WD Black; 1x 4TB WD Black; 1x400GB VelRptr; 1x 4TB WD Blue storage (eSATA)
Display(s) HP 27q 27" IPS @ 2560 x 1440
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/Titanium front -windowed
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Coolermaster Sentinel III (large palm grip!)
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion mechanical (Cherry Brown switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Start10 & Fences 3.0 installed)
Looks like I was able to pulg that card into the PCI Express 3.0 slot even though all of the pins are not used. Wifi working and much faster than the dongle.

I see you got it figured. Yes, almost always you can plug a PCIe x1 card in a x4 slot (rare, but they exist), a x8 slot, and a x16 slot.