1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Incapable to play HD 720p video files at max fps?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Miscelaneous Gamer, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Miscelaneous Gamer

Miscelaneous Gamer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Righty, well, many people may know that I've been complaining about several annoying software problems with my computer... but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw another one out onto the road.

So, simply, this one occurs with only HD 480 and/or 720 p/i video files. Like the HD 720p Team Fortress 2 meet the's and the trailers.

The computer either plays the video files but skips several frames, or plays the video and audio at a constant continual framerate (occasionally skipping one or two frames) and the audio nicely, but doesn't manage to stop/pause/close very instantaneously. I could press pause (or in vlc, press spacebar) to try to pause it. And a couple seconds later, the audio stops, but the video continues/plays double speed until it catches up to where the audio was at before it paused.

Is this a hardware incapability to play these high resolution videos? Or does ti have something to do with a software problem/setting?

Before you answer, check my system specs. Could help a little.

(Also, I've seen slower PC's manage DVD's. Mine cant always play DVD's without pausing the video for a fraction before continuing to play it. Would it be because I got a 4x DVD burner?)

2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm no expert, but it seems likely that your GPU being as old as it is(no offense) with 128MB of Ram would not be capable of playing an HD video at 480/720 P or I.

3. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i think hes right ^ definitely time to upgrade

4. Miscelaneous Gamer

Thanks Received:
    No offense taken, I already know it's all well out of date.

Pity it plays oblivion so well... well... if I can say that... ¬_¬

And, yes'm. Thats my next plan. When I get some cash. ¬_¬

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the video card should have any trouple playing VIDEO. Although, it can't hurt to invest in a cheap AGP 2400pro, which will blow that 9800pro out of the water:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129097

You don't seem to be much of an overclocker at all, so your PSU should not prove to be a problem.

Miscelaneous Gamer says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Nah, this is likely a codec problem. I suggest not using vlc for HD content on your machine, it's cpu usage will be too high. Try the latest version of ffmpeg.

I get my ffmpeg by installing a codec pack. I use the CCCP. http://www.cccp-project.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Try that, and see if it helps at all. Your computer is pushing the limits, but should still be able to do HD.

And considering all the problems you are having, I think you need to back-up your important data, and do a clean install.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  7. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I'm with Wile E Cuz I can watch HD on a lesser rig no problem >>>> probably codec related and maybe spyware and adware too... some codecs like the divx codec like divx6 will try to phone home two times when opening the divx player..

8. Miscelaneous Gamer

Thanks Received:
    Well, I have several codecs... I think, including the K-light codec pack.

Has there been problems with this particular pack?

9. Miscelaneous Gamer

Thanks Received:
    Oh, and in reference to you, my plans with my upgrades include an NVidia 7800 or something... but yeah a PCI-e card, and some lower level dual core processor. And, no I'm not much of an overclocker.

10. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes K-Lite has configuration issues. Also, if you install additional codecs on top of it, you can have config issues. Like if you install Divx or Xvid on top of K-Lite. It's best to just use a pack, and only install additional codecs if the pack doesn't have them to begin with. I prefer CCCP, as it's configuration is spot on. It doesn't do Real or Quicktime by default, so you either have to install Quicktime and Real Player, or install Real Alternative Lite and Quicktime Alternative Lite. I prefer the latter option (less bloat).

11. Miscelaneous Gamer

Thanks Received:
    Well, I guess I could try to uninstall my codecs and grab the CCCP codec.

See if anything helps out.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    4x drive has nothing to do with it, 1x can watch a DVD.

Your problem sounds like a lack of CPU power, and as for the weaker systems - a 400MHz pentium II with a MPEG-2 accelerating video card can play them fine.
    sounds like teh software you're using doesnt support your video cards acceleration.

On the HD side of things - only the geforce 8 and radeon 2x00 series support hardware accel for those, so your PC is definately too slow for 'smooth' playback.

oh and i too use the CCCP pack for HD files, as it supports hardware acceleration on my video card - CPU usage is quite low.

13. Miscelaneous Gamer

Thanks Received:
    Ah, cool. Thanks for explaining all this.

I'll make sure to grab the CCCPack when I get some nets with speed.