1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Industry's first powersupply certification program from PC Power & Cooling

Discussion in 'News' started by W1zzard, Mar 21, 2006.

1. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In order to demonstrate the authenticity of its power supplies, create a standard for quality that consumers can trust, and combat undocumented and misleading performance claims from other companies, PC Power & Cooling has established the computer industry's first and only certification program for production power supplies.

In order for an individual power supply to be certified under the company's new program, the following steps occur:

1. The power supply is connected to a $100,000 Chroma 8000 ATE (automatic test equipment) and the bar-coded serial number is recorded.

2. The unit undergoes a comprehensive 16-point performance test, including voltage setpoint, ripple, power factor, efficiency, line and load regulation, protection circuit eval, and peak power output.

3. At the conclusion of the test an annotated report is printed, and if all parameters are within strict specifications, the company's corporate seal is applied to the report. The report is then packaged with the power supply.

Currently each of the company's next-gen Turbo-Cool 1KW power supplies are sold under the new certification program. Inclusion in the program will be standard with each new high-end power supply model introduced.
    Certified test reports for earlier models, that normally undergo a 6-point performance test without a printed report, will be available as an option at a nominal charge.

Download a sample test report

Download a certification brochure

Source: PC Power & Cooling
  2. overcast New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow, someone actually created something usefull for once :)
  3. oldschool New Member

Thanks Received:
    PC Power and Cooling is one of the few in the PC Industry with a clue when it comes to PSUs. Unfortunately most consumers buy a PSU based on gimmicks that have nothing to do with the PSUs electrical performance. The PC enthusiast typically buys a PSU based on how pretty the box is, what color LEDs are included, how many or how big the fan is, if the PSU has modular plugs, etc. Anyone who knows anything about power supplies knows these things are gimmicks and have absolutely nothing to do with the electrical quality or capacity of a PSU.

Nonetheless the sheep rush out and buy the pretty boxes with inferior PSUs inside from mass marketers. Then the sheep can't understand why they have chronic system issues, poor overclocking ability, etc. They'll spend $500 per Vid card but they actually believe they can buy a quality PSU for $50. Sorry folks it don't happen.

PC Power and Cooling should be applauded for their honesty and willingness to confirm the quality of their products. The sheep however won't have a clue what the diff is between a quality and inferior PSU. Expect the dishonest PSU manufacturers to provide a bogus matching claim for their inferior products as there is absolutely NO truth in advertising these days.
  4. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^^ WOW, I noticed some steam in that comment. The only other PSU's I found close to PC Power and Cooling are the Liberty and NoiseTaker from Enermax. That's it...the rest either break down are simply don't perform to snuff. It's a shame that reviewers are either ignorant or simply don't care. When I read review of PSU and someone is try to tell me that under load a 3.20V, 11.70V and 4.90V rail is considered "acceptable performance" I go :wtf: :confused: :shadedshu: :wtf: I think to myself this is some sort of joke right, right? But they are dead serious and have instilled in the minds of the "sheep" that having a 3.3V, 12V, and 5V rail that is actually not providing 3.3V, 12V, and 5V rail power underload is common and is to be expected. Truth be told it is not and in some cases internal problems can cause instability problems with your system down the road. Not converting enough AC to DC efficiently is not always the problem. Things like ripple (AKA cavities vs teeth) and other mechanics can be causing the problem thus actually harming your system. This is what most sheep don't care to know and will not understand.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  5. SPHERE New Member

Thanks Received:
    indeed :-/