1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Installing OP on a SSD

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by newfielander, Feb 28, 2014.

1. newfielander

Thanks Received:
    I was given this info earlier today by one of your great members, but they are no longer on line and I need to know if this is what I need to do when installing my OP to my new SSD, its not that I doubt the members knowledge , I have created a new partition but windows also created a third one. here's the info that was given me,
    "When you are asked to select drive on which windows will be installed go to advanced and create partition with about 10% smaller then actual ssd size. so if you have 128gb you should make partition about 115gb. you should add size in bytes but adding 115 000 000 000 is ok.
    format partition with QUICK FORMAT ONLY.NEVER USE FULL FORMAT ON SSD
    install windows on new partition and when asked to reboot just reboot and dont press anything (f11, del etc.). Why do I need to create a new partition? Thanks

2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Partitioning your hard drive essentially tells your computer to treat portions of that drive as separate entities. If you keep your system and apps on a partition separate from your data (documents, music, video, and the like), the data will be easier to back up (because your backup utility won't bother to copy the system and apps, which you can reinstall from the discs or redownload from an online source). In addition, you'll be less likely to lose your data in an accident; and if you ever need to reformat and reinstall Windows, you won't have to worry about restoring your data backups.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  3. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    I'm lost :)

4. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    If I understood, he says that someone told him that for installing the OS on a SSD is better to make a partition smaller than the drive (using his example, a 115GB partition for a 128GB drive).

I suppose whomever told you that is thinking about over-provisioning (leaving parts of the SSD untouched for spare sectors) but, as far as I know, modern SSDs already have this taken into account so you can use the "full" drive. The SSD automatically reserves some capacity for spares.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Wear leveling it going to make sure the 10% part of the drive partitioned off gets used equally anyway, so doing that is totally pointless.

Also, full formatting an SSD is fine, if you really think that one extra write cycle is going to kill your SSD prematurely you probably shouldn't be using an SSD, because its going to fail tomorrow.

Moral of the story: When installing the OS(assuming Windows here) on an SSD don't create any partitions. Just point the OS installer at the unpartitioned hard drive and it will take care of the rest. Also, if you have other hard drives besides the SSD, make sure you unplug those before starting the OS install.

newfielander says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU