• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Facing HEDT Chipset Troubles, Again?

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
I don't think i'm using RSTe i'm using just the normal RST drivers on my x99.

System Name Some computer stuff
Processor Mostly Intel or AMD
Motherboard ATX or mATX
Cooling Bong Cooler
Memory DDR2-4
Video Card(s) A few
Storage Plenty Platters or SSDs or USBs
Display(s) Samsung 23"
Case 5 on the floor
Audio Device(s) There's one for my M7 Gene, Oh I have 3-4 PCI 5.1 ones.Sabrent! lol
Power Supply 750-1000W
Mouse cheap
Keyboard Used ps2 from garage sales
Software Yeah
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/schmuckley/#Hardware_Library http://valid.canardpc.com/rbjpbg
Zomy! You mean I can only RAID 0 6 drives with TRIM enabled? Such a travesty!
:twitch:
(I only have 4) :D

Yeah, I'd be more pissed about this if I'd actually bought into it.

Completely new RAM (Read: insanely high pricing and no real selection), combined with a new motherboard, leads me to question whether upgrading is worth it.

I've made peace with X79 delivering way less SATA connectivity than initially suggested. I see little reason that X99 is a necessary upgrade right now. Maybe Skylake will deliver on promises, but I don't see why I should care right now.

As to people calmly accepting Intel failures, while railing against AMD, I don't understand. Who exactly is still angry with AMD? After the bulldozer mistake, AMD has been behind Intel at every turn (with the exception of ATI providing a decent GPU for APUs). Intel products perform better, but cost more. We've accepted that, and if you don't I'd ask what rock you've been living under for the past decade?

If you personally don't accept it, then buy only AMD processors. You'll quickly note high-end Intel costs double that of high-end AMD. We've accepted it, because them charging that much actually has been accepted.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Way to make this something it remotely isn't...:confused:

I would say the opposite is true even. Not many people were up in arms when Phenom dropped ~10% behind expectations because of a necessary BIOS fix to a manufacturing defect, but for some reason Intel says 1-2 of your SATA ports might be a bit funky and people pretend the entire platform is crap. Lets keep things in perspective people.

I feel as if in the recent past, Intel is not only releasing chipsets but also processors one revision too soon. In their latest products, the early adopters have gotten burned because one major feature is broken at release and only fixed in a newer stepping that comes out months later. Intel should delay releases by a few months, produce one more stepping that fixes errata, then release that stepping as the only version.

I think they should just copy AMD and stop releasing new products. If you don't release anything new you can just spend monthes and years refining your single product. /s

As to people calmly accepting Intel failures, while railing against AMD, I don't understand. Who exactly is still angry with AMD? After the bulldozer mistake, AMD has been behind Intel at every turn (with the exception of ATI providing a decent GPU for APUs). Intel products perform better, but cost more. We've accepted that, and if you don't I'd ask what rock you've been living under for the past decade?

I wish AMD had competative products, but they just don't outside of a few niche applications, which isn't enough to cover up being so far behind in 90%+ of applications. I'm kind of annoyed AMD got peoples hopes up with continuing to support AM3+ up through Piledriver then just completely abandoning it--minus a few super expensive SKUs nobody really wanted, and that they--mostly because of miserably bad management in the mid 2000's--squandered a golden opportunity where they were on the cutting edge of microprocessor design. They have done a lot of great things, some not so great things, and some pretty embarassing things in the years since the Athlon64 was king of the hill.

System Name msdos
Processor 8086
Motherboard mainboard
Cooling passive
Memory 640KB + 384KB extended
Video Card(s) EGA
Storage 5.25"
Display(s) 80x25
Case plastic
Audio Device(s) modchip
Power Supply 45 watts
Mouse serial
Keyboard yes
Software disk commander
Benchmark Scores still running
I'm a little confused to what the actual problem is. I see the following facts, 6 for raid, 4 for not raid. Is the problem that people want all ten for raid? Or is it that raid+trim doesn't work?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm a little confused to what the actual problem is. I see the following facts, 6 for raid, 4 for not raid. Is the problem that people want all ten for raid? Or is it that raid+trim doesn't work?

From earlier:
The original post wasn't very clear, so allow me to clarify. There are two issues with the latest RSTe release:

1.) SATA ports 0-5 do not support TRIM on RAID 0
2.) SATA ports 6-9 do not install an Intel driver and revert to a standard Microsoft driver.

If you ask me, #2 is the bigger concern - you don't want a driver package that doesn't actually install a driver. It's good that Intel pulled the release; otherwise, people would install the newer release thinking it was better and more stable than the old one, which it obviously is not.