1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel HD 4000 Question

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Paladone, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Paladone

Thanks Received:
    I have heard about how some of the newer processors have built in graphics, Eg. the Intel HD 4000. My question is - With the built in graphics in the CPU, as you also have a GFX card, will the intel HD 4000 aid your GFX card? or are you required to enable it.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, you can't use the HD4000 to "help" your discrete. Its useful for people who doesn't play games, or needs a backup when their discrete graphics card dies.

Paladone says thanks.
  3. DarkOCean

DarkOCean

Thanks Received:
    on top of that big mountain on mars(Romania)
    You mean like crossfiring the igp with dedicated gpu just like amd apus? then the answer is no they are separated things, you can use one or the other.

Paladone says thanks.
  4. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    It will let you use,Lucid virtu MVP which should improve your game responsiveness,thats pretty much all you can do with it.

Paladone says thanks.
  5. Suhidu

Suhidu

Thanks Received:
    No, it won't and can't aid your PCIe GPU.*

In some mobile situations, the Intel graphics automatically take over when you aren't doing anything intensive, because that helps battery life. That's irrelevant on the desktop though.

In fact, (on the desktop) allot of integrated graphic solutions can't even be enabled in situations where an dedicated GPU is installed(this would be useful to, for example, run two monitors on your PCIe card and two monitors on your integrated), however there are exceptions: I remember AMD advertising this ability on an integrated(chipset) solution a few years back. As far as if that's possible on Intel's newest chips(or even AMDs newest), I don't know.

*...and then someone mentions Lucid MVP which I honestly haven't kept up with. (3..2..1.. Post outdated?. . .)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
    Paladone says thanks.
  6. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    Lucid can also shut down your discreet graphics card down when you in 2D mode,bringing power consumption on that card down to 1watt.

Paladone says thanks.
  7. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    I thought Lucid virtu does that? Perhaps only with AMD's integrated only.. not sure.

Paladone says thanks.
  8. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Intel allows the integrated GPU to be enabled when using a discrete GPU. I have had that setup running for awhile with the i7 2600k integrated running my day-to-day 2D tasks and my GTX580 doing Distributed computing. Its even super simple to setup- plug and play.

I did want to experiment with Lucid to see if their claims of boosting FPS was legit, but I did not want to bother with the hassle given the relatively small gains to be had.

Paladone says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU