• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Unveils First Socketed SoC Processors for Edge Innovation

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Intel has announced the availability of its 12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IoT Edge. Representing a new lineup of purpose-built edge products optimized for Internet of Things (IoT) applications, this first-of-its-kind socketed system-on-chip (SoC) delivers high performance integrated graphics and media processing for visual compute workloads, a compact footprint to enable smaller innovative form factor designs, and a wide operating thermal design power (TDP) that enables fanless designs and helps customers achieve product sustainability goals.

"As the digitization of business processes continues to accelerate—fueled by workforce demand, supply chain constraints and changing consumer behavior—the amount of data created at the edge and the need for it to be processed and analyzed locally continues to explode. Intel understands the challenges that businesses face—across a wide range of vertical industries—and is committed to help them continue to deliver innovative use cases," said Jeni Panhorst, Intel vice president and general manager of the Network and Edge Compute Division.

Digital transformation at the edge requires increased processing power and AI inference performance to future-proof AI workloads. 12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IoT Edge respond to these performance demands and expand implementation configurability and overall solution flexibility to enable original equipment manufacturers and original design manufacturers to quickly integrate - and ship - solutions that fit the wide variety of unique vertical market and edge-specific use cases. Additionally, the SoC processors feature manageability capabilities from top to bottom, including Intel vPro options for best-in-class remote control and manageability essential for managing and servicing systems deployed at the IoT edge.

About 12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IoT Edge
Delivering up to 4 times faster graphics and up to 6.6 times faster GPU image classification inference performance compared with 10th Gen Intel Core desktop processors in a 12 W to 65 W design, 12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IOT Edge include Intel Thread Director, which intelligently directs the operating system to assign the right workload to the right core. With up to 14 cores and 20 threads, the SoC processors reach up to 1.32 times faster single-thread performance and up to 1.27 times faster multi-threaded performance compared with 10th Gen Intel Core desktop processors.

12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IoT Edge support high-performing AI for inferencing and machine vision. Up to 96 graphics execution units allow for a high degree of parallelization in AI workloads, while built-in AI acceleration on the CPU from Intel Deep Learning Boost (Intel DL Boost) provides additional inferencing performance. These processors fully support Intel Distribution of OpenVINO toolkit optimizations and cross-architecture inferencing.

"By combining the CPU with the highest performing integrated graphics, enhanced visual compute, and AI into one compact processing configuration, 12th Gen Intel Core SoC processors for IoT Edge make it easier for customers to unlock new opportunities from customized retail point-of-sale solutions to precise imaging and pattern recognition for improved healthcare diagnoses," Panhorst said.

12th Generation Intel Core processors for IoT Edge deliver benefits across industries
  • Retail, banking, hospitality, and education customers will be able to expand remote control and manageability capabilities of systems at the edge, drive value from frictionless point-of-sale and quickly respond to changing supply and demand.
  • Industrial manufacturing customers can take better advantage of industrial PCs, edge servers, advanced controllers, machine vision systems and virtualized control platforms.
  • Healthcare customers will be able to deliver enhanced ultrasound imaging, medical carts, endoscopy and clinical devices at the edge.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

So what’s the difference between these “edge” processors and say a 12700?

What has "AI" enabled society to do? With all these products being made, claiming to be capable of "Deep" learning using "artificial intelligence", what is actually being done by them? It's been a few years now, the list should be long! But it's not. What about what's being done with them then? They've been selling by the millions...

I say nothing. Nothing! Nothing that couldn't be done before, is being done now. It's just transistors, a bit smaller than before, running code.
And it's usually bloated garbage.

I'm wrong? You say I'm wrong?

Then tell me, what's being done now, that wasn't before? No generalizations, and no misappropriation.
Since the answer is "nothing" and you still want to argue with me for some reason, you tell me "nothing new, but it's better now".
What
is better? Exactly how is it better?

Details. I want details. I don't need many - all I've seen is promises from virtual paper pushers.

5 years ago computer tech got boring, hardware stagnant. Marketing departments said "call it AI, that'll get them off your back". Nothing will seem different right away because nothing is using it yet. And after some time (when things should have come from it but nothing has come of it), we can blame... lack of development!!!!!

CPUs barely improved from 2011-2021. Now Alder-Lake IS what Sandy Bridge WAS in 2011 - in another decade you'll see.

Personally I'm buying Intel's 13th gen, the equivalent of Ivy Bridge (you know, the one in 2012 that brought us PCIe 3.0 and USB 3.0, both of which weren't improved upon for a DECADE). This time it'll just be USB4 Rev. 2.0. Need that 80Gbps external inteface to last til 2033!!!
See how ridiculous it looks when you add 11 years? That's how ridiculous it's been for the past 11 years.
Mark my words, it'll happen

Last edited:
Please explain what the hell "edge computing" even means. I hear this all the time and am too lazy to google it.

Please explain what the hell "edge computing" even means. I hear this all the time and am too lazy to google it.

It means using cloud apps through Microsoft's Google browser called Edge. That's about all these chips will be capable of anyway.

I'm joking. Like "AI" it means nothing new. Just a different name for the same crap (it's this iteration of BGA chips which are the same as socketed, but without sockets)
Remember 5-8 years ago when they said the socket was going away? lol. For different CPUs you'd have to pick your motherboard, then see if it came from the factory with the processor you wanted, already attached?
Stupid, yeah

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor 5900X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) 6800XT
Display(s) Odyssey C49G95T - 5120 x 1440
It's supposed to mean servers placed at the "edge" of the network, and not in a (big) datacenter.
Edge often being closer to customers. Ether in form of a backbone small scale datacenter, or a local datacenter.
In "the industry"(or atleast mine) it also have the connotation of being small/smaller scale.

Most known examples of 'edge servers' is internet cache servers, like Akamai-solutions or youtube & netflix servers located at some ISP service, for shorter round time and less network load

Processor i5-6600K
Motherboard Asus Z170A
Cooling some cheap Cooler Master Hyper 103 or similar
Memory 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Display(s) 2x Oldell 24" 1920x1200
Case Bitfenix Nova white windowless non-mesh
Audio Device(s) E-mu 1212m PCI
Power Supply Seasonic G-360
Mouse Logitech Marble trackball, never had a mouse
Keyboard Key Tronic KT2000, no Win key because 1994
Software Oldwin
What has "AI" enabled society to do? With all these products being made, claiming to be capable of "Deep" learning using "artificial intelligence", what is actually being done by them? It's been a few years now, the list should be long! But it's not. What about what's being done with them then? They've been selling by the millions...

I say nothing. Nothing! Nothing that couldn't be done before, is being done now. It's just transistors, a bit smaller than before, running code.
And it's usually bloated garbage.

I'm wrong? You say I'm wrong?

Then tell me, what's being done now, that wasn't before? No generalizations, and no misappropriation.
Since the answer is "nothing" and you still want to argue with me for some reason, you tell me "nothing new, but it's better now".
What
is better? Exactly how is it better?

Details. I want details. I don't need many - all I've seen is promises from virtual paper pushers.

5 years ago computer tech got boring, hardware stagnant. Marketing departments said "call it AI, that'll get them off your back". Nothing will seem different right away because nothing is using it yet. And after some time (when things should have come from it but nothing has come of it), we can blame... lack of development!!!!!
Hey, it's just low precision fused-multiply-add on vectors and matrices, and similar stuff, nothing fancy.

Processor AMD Threadripper 3970x
Motherboard Asus Prime TRX40-Pro
Cooling Custom loop
Memory GSkil Ripjaws 8x32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 TI
Display(s) Alienware AW3420DW
Case Thermaltake Tower 900
Power Supply Corsair HX1200
Some people here need to understand what theyre commenting on before leaving a belligerent and ignorant reaction...

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
Damn transistors!.

Anyway noice , shame I'm not in the right test circle's