• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Interesting encounter with Biostar and their Z97 Boards

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
For those of you that know me well, you will know that I am a great fan of Biostar boards, certainly their more recent offerings, low cost, decent specs, decent overclockability. I bought the Biostar Hifi Z97WE a little over a year ago, partly because of Dave's review of the board, if my memory serves me correct he scored it 9.8 and was very impressed. I am happy to say I have had a really good 14 months trouble free use and am very pleased with it.

So, some of you will be thinking...... "OK there is a "but" coming" and you would be right, but nothing to do with the reliability or performance of the board. Long story short......... I contacted Biostar Customer Support a few weeks ago to enquire on their Z97 boards compatibility with the relatively new S1150 i5 5675C and i7 5775C processors as I couldn't see any information or a Bios update to support the processors.

Eventually I got a reply saying that none of their Z97 boards supported these CPU's as they required "significant hardware updates" and a Bios update alone would not give compatibility. I won't bore you with the resulting exchanges of questions and answers that I raised because it just felt that they were trying to mislead me and when I showed a little knowledge they kind of backtracked, but to be fair at all times they were very polite, as was I.

So to today, I got home to an e note from them and I copy and paste it below.............

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steven

2015-11-18 11:55:14

Dear Sir

Before Intel lauch 5000 series CPU, we already made the motherboard.

However, we don't have new motherboard version for support these 5000 series CPU and already EOL(end of live) for all Z97 chipset motherboard.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So just as a heads up, for anyone considering buying any Biostar Z97 board which was only released by them in 2014 as a budget/mid ranged Haswell/Devil's Canyon build, please be aware that before you even purchase the board it is already EOL and won't support any current or future socket 1150 CPU's beyond Devils Canyon. To be honest I couldn't believe it!

peche

Thermaltake fanboy
System Name Athenna
Processor intel i7 3770 *Dellided*
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.1
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Pro + Tt Riing12 x2 / Tt ThunderBlade / Gelid Slim 120UV fans
Memory 16GB DRR3 Kingoston with Custom Tt spreaders + HyperX Fan
Video Card(s) GeForce GTX 980 4GB Nvidia Sample
Storage Crucial M4 SSD 64GB's / Seagate Barracuda 2TB / Seagate Barracuda 320GB's
Display(s) 22" LG FLATRON 1920 x 1280p
Case Thermaltake Commander G42 Window
Audio Device(s) On-board Dolby 5.1+ Kingston HyperX Cloud 1
Power Supply Themaltake TR2 700W 80plus bronce & APC Pro backup 1000Va
Mouse Tt eSports Level 10M Rev 1.0 Diamond Black & Tt Conkor "L" mouse pad
Keyboard Tt eSports KNUCKER
Software windows 10x64Pro
Benchmark Scores well I've fried a 775' P4 12 years ago, that counts?
wow ....EOL Z97 boards...Why Biostar?

System Name panda
Processor 6700k
Motherboard sabertooth s
Cooling raystorm block<black ice stealth 240 rad<ek dcc 18w 140 xres
Memory 32gb ripjaw v
Video Card(s) 290x gamer<ntzx g10<antec 920
Storage 950 pro 250gb boot 850 evo pr0n
Display(s) QX2710LED@110hz lg 27ud68p
Case 540 Air
Audio Device(s) nope
Power Supply 750w superflower
Mouse g502
Keyboard shine 3 with grey, black and red caps
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/marsey99/
has anyone seen broadwell support for z97 mobo?

when i asked a uk retailer about the chips they said nobody was doing boards for them :s

cadaveca

My name is Dave
has anyone seen broadwell support for z97 mobo?

when i asked a uk retailer about the chips they said nobody was doing boards for them :s
Quite a few boards support the Broadwell CPUs with a BIOS update. Yet, I really do not think anyone here on TPU should be into buying these chips anyway; Broadwell sucks, by Intel's own admission (Skylake was pushed forward to cover Broadwell's "failure"). Broadwell offers onboard GPU improvements only, and these improvements negatively affect clocking ability.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Quite a few boards support the Broadwell CPUs with a BIOS update. Yet, I really do not think anyone here on TPU should be into buying these chips anyway; Broadwell sucks, by Intel's own admission (Skylake was pushed forward to cover Broadwell's "failure"). Broadwell offers onboard GPU improvements only, and these improvements negatively affect clocking ability.

I agree and for me it's as much about the principle of releasing a series of boards in 2014 with a relatively new chipset at the time to declare them EOL the following year. As far as I am aware Intel still has a S1150 CPU roadmap and whether their newish or future offerings turn out to be any good is arguable, however for Biostar owners, good or bad the choice has been taken away from them, don't get me wrong I have enjoyed the board and I didn't buy it as a future proof performance platform, just find the situation to be a complete let down from Biostar for it's customers.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
MEH. It did well (better) when it could use that on board ram...

That said, I almost expected this. The "claimed" a lot of Z97 boards would work but frankly, I am finding that it is actually a MINORITY of boards that work with broadwell (at least, their BIOS updates don't specifically STATE it is to update CPU microcode for Broadwell).

As far as I am aware Intel still has a S1150 CPU roadmap
They do? Broadwell was the last chip on that socket AFAIK? I mean, its replacement, s1151/Z170 is already here... why would they put anything else on that socket (which has been around since Sandybridge 4-5 years ago).

Last edited:

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
wow ....EOL Z97 boards...Why Biostar?

Probably too much competition in the European market and Asus, Gigabyte and MSI dominate the Asian markets. In the UK biostar's distribution is a bit hit and miss. A few big retailers do sell their hardware though

System Name Fat NCASE
Processor Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard ASUS TUF GAMING B550M ZAKU (WIFI) Edition
Cooling Scythe Fuma with 3 SCYTHE Wondersnail 2400RPM + Arctic MX2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 128GB @3200Mhz Cl16 (32GB X 4)
Video Card(s) Palit RTX 3060 StormX ITX 12GB
Storage MX500 4TB SATA + Toshiba MG08 16TB HDD
Display(s) LG 27UL500 4K monitor
Case Jonsbo W2 black
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek 1200 & Soundblaster G3 usb
Power Supply ASUS ROG STRIX 850W Gundam Edition
Mouse Elecom wireless mouse :)
Keyboard RK100 Royal Kludge
Software Windows 10 HOME
Benchmark Scores Don't know any benchmark. It runs good enough for me.
I have the same Biostar z97we as you Tatty and I messaged them too about 5775C upgrade as I would love to have one as I am running a pentium G3258.

I opened up a ticket with biostar to enquire about that. At first I was hopeful as they say my board z97we version 5.0 was not Broadwell compatible but I could exchange the board for version 5.1 through a local distributer. I email the local distributer and with a screenshot of my ticket with biostar I no reply. Biostar than replied back to me telling me the distributer have no version 5.1 board available. I replied Biostar asking what I could do. They just apologised said I can't do anything. I was getting rather pissed and disappointed. Last time I have to Rma this board overseas as recommended by them and that cost me more. I rather disappointed that Biostar could not do anything with their local distributer

I do like Biostar but this would be my last board from them the support is scares. They do NOT have a service centre or a repair centre in my area. The customer service are good like Tatty said they are polite and there are minimal copy paste replies but their help is rather limited. All of Biostar 1150 board cannot be just easily biosed update to support Broadwell only a board revision of it would support it. So you require a new board of the same model. Like for example if you have the first version the 5.0 you would need version 5.1 to support it. I am not sure how 1151 board would be for Kaby lake support soon after, I think it most probably be the same way.

So for I guess I would have to cough up for a 4790k :( for an upgrade.

Last edited: