1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is it better to partition a drive for o/s or install 2

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Mar 31, 2013.

1. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Thanks Received:
    Cant really get my head round this one. I,ve got plenty of hdd..... 5 x 80gb and several ranging from 320gb to 1 tb. Would it be advsable to install my o/s (win 7 64) on a large partitioned drive or use an 80 gb for o/s and a large one for storage.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Well, most small drives in the 80-120GB range are pretty slow, so I avoid using them for an OS whenever possible. Generally, the larger the drive the faster they are, so use the largest drive you have for the OS, IMO.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick reply all the way from Indiana to Wales in a nanosecond.

Do you think i would notice a difference ? i want to use the 80gb drives for something, doesnt seem much point hanging on to them if im not going to use them. Any ideas that dont involve pushing them sideways in to myself.
  4. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If the 80GB drives are the same speed as the larger drives I doubt you would see much of a difference. It sounds like you want the machine for file storage mostly, so even a relatively slow drive for the OS isn't going to matter a whole lot.
  5. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    If you have a bunch of smaller drives make a spanned array within windows and use as one drive
  6. CAPSLOCKSTUCK

CAPSLOCKSTUCK

Thanks Received:
    Shortly i will be googling "spanned array". I like it already.
  7. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Typically I'd install the OS on the fastest disk. Of course, it all depends on what you are going to be using the system for. Sometimes I even use a different disk partition for my home and data directories too.
  8. Geofrancis

Geofrancis

Thanks Received:
    If you have a few the same size you can run a raid array with them for a good performance increase.

I used to run my PC off of 4x 2.5" 80gb sata laptop hard drives in RAID 0 this gave me a fast 320gb array.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    CAPSLOCKSTUCK says thanks.
  9. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I agree that smaller drives aren't optimal speed for the OS. I got a 128BG SSD, because that's the size where they start using denser, faster Nand. I made a partition for the OS and the rest is for programs, page file, etc. Just make sure you leave ample room for the OS and future updates, and drivers and any programs that refuse to give a secondary drive install path option.
    CAPSLOCKSTUCK says thanks.