• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

is it normal for a monitor to make "cracking sounds"?

hello, not so long ago i acquired a new monitor an asus VG27AQ3A, and i noticed how after some time it starts making these kind of noises that seems to come from the monitor.
after i turn off the computer and the monitor itself, it passes some minutes for it to start making the same noises as well, as far i recall it never happened before my previous monitor but then again i cannot be entirely sure.
it just happens that the noises are noticeable thats how i came to notice that the monitor its making these kind of cracking noises (dont know how else to refer to them) but i wanna know if this is normal or not at all.

System Name MPG
Processor i3-10105F
Motherboard Z490 Gaming Plus (MS-7C75)
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory GSkill RipJawsV 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6Gb AERO ITX OC
Storage NVMW WD Black SN750 Samsung EVO 840 SSD and Mechanical TBs...
Display(s) Asus VS278Q
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 Yamaha AV Creative DTT2200
Power Supply Corsair RM-1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 10/11
If it is like mine, also an Asus 27", that crackling sound is the expansion/contraction of the plastic chassis, due to temperature variations, its not from components.
Making money with the best economic materials/construction around, is the goal in this days, profit, profit, profit...

If it is like mine, also an Asus 27", that crackling sound is the expansion/contraction of the plastic chassis, due to temperature variations, its not from components.
Making money with the best economic materials/construction around, is the goal in this days, profit, profit, profit...
thank god im not the only one then, but my brother whom also got this very same monitor, he says he hasnt noticed any sound like these himself, so thats what got me here asking if this is normal or something to worry about, and if its not normal then i could take it to the shop i got the monitor and ask for refund/exchange since its under warranty for now.
but if this is normal then i guess its just a "deal with it" situation.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard MSI MPG Z790I Edge WiFi Gaming
Cooling be quiet! Pure Loop 240mm
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 (G95SC)
Case LANCOOL 205M MESH Snow
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on schitt Modi+ & Valhalla 2
Power Supply ASUS ROG Loki SFX-L 1000W
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software openSUSE Tumbleweed
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.

This. I actually answered this very same question for an AOC monitor on these forums a few years ago. It's actually not new if your older. I pretty much remember every single TV doing the same when I was younger, before PCs were even a thing in houses. Nothing like firing up your family RCA/Panasonic/GE and it sounding like a glacier.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
I agree with meatwar. The molded plastic pieces of the monitor case typically are not perfectly "true". And until Man can make perfection 100% of the time, it will always be that way.

Also, different components inside the monitor case will generate different levels of heat. This results in those plastic pieces receiving an uneven amount of heat. That in turn, causes the expansion/contraction of the matter in those pieces to be uneven, causing uneven stresses at the seams.

Eventually, the seam "gives" with a resounding "pop". Understand, the travel distance of this sudden movement is likely to be in realm of a few microns! And 1 micron = .001 millimeter.

Typically, that point or points where the seam gives will eventually, through wear and friction, smooth out. And instead of giving way with a pop, the two opposing plastic parts will gently (and silently) "slide" back and forth as they heat and cool.

By the way, it is not necessarily due to budget trimming by the manufacturer. They could glue the parts together but that would make any potential repairs essentially impossible.

System Name MPG
Processor i3-10105F
Motherboard Z490 Gaming Plus (MS-7C75)
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced
Memory GSkill RipJawsV 32Gb 3200
Video Card(s) GTX1060 6Gb AERO ITX OC
Storage NVMW WD Black SN750 Samsung EVO 840 SSD and Mechanical TBs...
Display(s) Asus VS278Q
Case CM HAF-X
Audio Device(s) ALC1200 Yamaha AV Creative DTT2200
Power Supply Corsair RM-1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival
Keyboard MS Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 10/11
I have next to my system and connected to it, an old Sony BRAVIA 52", for nightly movie sessions, i turn off the Asus and pass the signal to the Sony, that's when i hear the crackling, its cooling off.

Last edited:
System Name ❶ Oooh (2024) ❷ Aaaah (2021) ❸ Ahemm (2017)
Processor ❶ 5800X3D ❷ i7-9700K ❸ i7-7700K
Motherboard ❶ X570-F ❷ Z390-E ❸ Z270-E
Cooling ❶ ALFIII 360 ❷ X62 + X72 (GPU mod) ❸ X62
Memory ❶ 32-3600/16 ❷ 32-3200/16 ❸ 16-3200/16
Video Card(s) ❶ 3080 X Trio ❷ 2080TI (AIOmod) ❸ 1080TI
Storage ❶ NVME/SSD/HDD ❷ <SAME ❸ SSD/HDD
Display(s) ❶ 1440/165/IPS ❷ 1440/144/IPS ❸ 1080/144/IPS
Case ❶ BQ Silent 601 ❷ Cors 465X ❸ Frac Mesh C
Audio Device(s) ❶ HyperX C2 ❷ HyperX C2 ❸ Logi G432
Power Supply ❶ HX1200 Plat ❷ RM750X ❸ EVGA 650W G2
Mouse ❶ Logi G Pro ❷ Razer Bas V3 ❸ Logi G502
Keyboard ❶ Logi G915 TKL ❷ Anne P2 ❸ Logi G610
Benchmark Scores I have wrestled bandwidths, Tussled with voltages, Handcuffed Overclocks, Thrown Gigahertz in Jail
I get the same snap crackle pop occasional sounds on my Acer XB271HU bmiprz. Originally thought it was the VESA arm mount or the VESA plate on the back of the display adding pressure on the surrounding plastic. Eventually had to remove it to check for any damage, cracks, etc....couldn't see anything. Didn't bother looking into it any further.

That makes sense.

Perhaps inadequate ventilation/cooling? Also I do have the rear of my gaming system exhausting heat > heat sandwiched between the back wall and display. That's most likely the or one of the main culprits.

Last edited:
System Name Sunk Cost Fallacy
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASRock B650E Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev. 7
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000 CL30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7900 XTX Vapor-X
Storage WD Black SN850X 1TB + 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB Crucial MX500, 4TB Samsung 870 Evo.
Display(s) Alienware AW2723DF, LG 27GR93U, LG 27GN950-B
Case Lian Li O11 Air Mini
Audio Device(s) Bose Companion Series 2 III, Sennheiser GSP600 and HD599 SE - Creative Soundblaster X4
Power Supply bequiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1500w Titanium
Mouse Logitech GPRO X Superlight & G502 X
Keyboard Corsair K65 RGB Mini, Razer Black Widow V3 TKL
VR HMD Oculus Rift S
yes. the backlight and plastic casing expands and shrinks again when it cools down.

Just to add some further examples, both my monitor (~15 years old) and PC case (~10 years old) do this, and have for their whole life. Sometimes they just randomly do it during operation, not only shortly after turning on or off. It's probably shifting parts and plastics. So it's unlikely to be anything wrong with your particular monitor. It also doesn't necessarily signify inadequate cooling.

I sort of would have expected newer monitors might be better about this though since they should run cooler. Older ones like mine are CCFL backlit and those tend to run warmer than LED backlit ones. Then again, newer displays tend to more often be thinner and with less vents so maybe it's a net neutral in that regard.

In either case, not necessarily a sign of a flaw or issue.

The manufacturer can easily place some material between the parts inside the product that rub against each other in thermal expansion/contraction or create gaps between these parts. If it is an outer visible shell that does this, the manufacturer can adjust the temperature of these parts by managing airflow (cooling by air) in the product by correctly designing the product internaly and vents on it.

BTW these kind of "cosmetic" issues may get fixed in later revisons of the product with the manufacturer not talking about it at all.

Unnecessary creaking or other noises is a flaw. especially on a product placed few decimetres from the users years, which may be operated in silence.

ARF

My LG monitor doesn't make any sounds because of temperature variations. Maybe it has the right amount of metal "heatsinks" and the components (that generate heat) placement is such that it doesn't behave abnormally.
However, my TV does make cracking sounds, and it's both quite annoying and stressful.

System Name Brightworks Systems BWS-6 E-IV
Processor Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.9GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 Rev 1.0
Cooling Quality case, 2 x Fractal Design 140mm fans, stock CPU HSF
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) EVGA GEForce GTX 1050Ti 4Gb GDDR5
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD
Display(s) Samsung S24E650BW LED x 2
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 550W G2 Gold
Mouse Logitech M190
Keyboard Microsoft Wireless Comfort 5050
Software W10 Pro 64-bit
The manufacturer can easily...
It really is not a matter of what the manufacturer can do. They can do lots of things to prevent those noises - at least those that occur from abutting parts shifting. They could probably locate several more screws to secure the parts more tightly. Or as mentioned earlier, use glue. Or use heat to fuse the parts. Or use some sort of gasket material as you suggest.

But all that adds to the cost and with such stiff competition, and with so many consumers basing their decision on cost, the makers choose to save a few pennies wherever they can to keep costs down. I get that. And it is not a bad thing, as long as those savings are passed along to consumers too, without compromising the quality and integrity of the product.

HOWEVER - thinking about this further, there may actually be a good reason to intentionally allow these pops to occur.

If no "wiggle room" is built in to allow for the naturally occurring expansion and contraction of the materials, excessive forces could build up until they reach a much more violent breaking point. Without that built-in space, permanent damage might otherwise occur, such as a cracked case. Or, if the seam holds and doesn't pop, the excess force buildup could cause the case to warp and put undue twisting or "torque" stresses on the mounting points of the PCB, the display screen, and/or other components. Not good. :(

I am reminded of "expansion gaps" intentionally built into bridges, or poured concrete streets and driveways. Without those gaps, expansion and contraction caused by the weather changes would cause those bridges to soon come tumbling down. Expansion at the edges of the street and drive sections would mash together and start to crumble as soon as the first heat/cool cycle (first year).

Expansion and contraction is inevitable. Perhaps we should look at those pops as a "welcomed" and "safe" release of those excess forces.

System Name The Workhorse
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus B550 Pro
Cooling CPU - Noctua NH-D15S Case - 3 Noctua NF-A14 PWM at the bottom, 2 Fractal Design 180mm at the front
Memory GSkill Trident Z 3200CL14
Video Card(s) NVidia GTX 1070 MSI QuickSilver
Storage Adata SX8200Pro
Display(s) LG 32GK850G
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) FiiO E-10K DAC/Amp, Samson Meteorite USB Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RMx850 (2018)
Mouse Razer Viper (Original)
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid TKL keyboard (Cherry MX Black)
Software Windows 11 Pro (23H2)
Anything plastic will make such noises on temperature shifts, my monitor does and the front panel on my Torrent does as well after a long session of gaming or if I open the window when it’s cold-ish outside to air the room and then shut it close after so it warms up again. It’s absolutely nothing to be concerned about.