• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is my router toast ?

Hi
I've been messing around with our home network, trying to find a way for not let our dLink Dir655 crash.
Everytime I copy huge files over wifi, it shuts itself down and restarts. when it does that, it also changes the time and date in the system. It doesnt give any useful information in the logs.

Not necessary : you AC adapter might as well be faulty.

Transfering huge files across wifi is a power demanding operation, which could lead to sudden crashes if the power supply is flaky.

Are there any possibility to change wifi power output manually in the GUI, ie. 25% 50% 75% ?

Not necessary : you AC adapter might as well be faulty.

Transfering huge files across wifi is a power demanding operation, which could lead to sudden crashes if the power supply is flaky.

Are there any possibility to change wifi power output manually in the GUI, ie. 25% 50% 75% ?
Yes, but that goes at the cost of range. Im going to hook the psu up to a tester tomorrow

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Yes, Please hook up to a tester and let us know. However those routers are infamous for thier problems.

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Had DIR655's for entire family, 6 total.

1. save your settings
2. reset to factory defaults
3. download and update newest firmware to proper version based on A or B or C series
http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-655
4. reboot
5. reload your saved settings and reboot.

Problem could be with internet provider, I had Verizon and had issues and will never be a Verizon customer again. All units still work and the oldest unit I gave it to a friend.
I have one for backup unit. No one has issues. They do run a little warm. You never stack anything on top of them. The oldest one I opened up to inspect the aluminum caps and all were fine, not bulging.

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
it also changes the time and date in the system

Do you mean it changes the time and date in the router's system or in your PC's OS?

EDIT: If it resets the router's time and date... I would guess a power problem. Could be the power brick or some where the internal regulation is going... might be from heat generated by the output amps and/or other components.

wifi is not made for that

Do what? Could you explain that for me...

Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 870EVO // Samsung 840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
wotevajjjj said: ↑ it also changes the time and date in the systemClick to expand... Do you mean it changes the time and date in the router's system or in your PC's OS? EDIT: If it resets the router's time and date... I would guess a power problem. Could be the power brick or some where the internal regulation is going... might be from heat generated by the output amps and/or other components.

Sounds like he's not saving the settings.

Also, you can set manual or automatic, tick box.

For time server try: tock.usno.navy.mil

if you use your brain , you would not ask . wi-fi is oriented public internet , it means few images and texts , its packet size is not the same as wired .
if you read dlink firmware page for any router having wi-fi , then you will always read at the top of the page :

Firmware
Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link product over a wireless connection. Failure of the device may result. Use only hard-wired network connections.

and firmware are not big files ....
so do what you want , trying to pass big files can be done but use torrent and a low speed . your router can do 3 Mo/s but crash so have a try limiting upload at 500 ko/s .
with torrent , you are sure some packets will be well delivered and you ll not have to restart from 0 after each crash

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you use your brain , you would not ask . wi-fi is oriented public internet , it means few images and texts , its packet size is not the same as wired .

Wow... Do you need to be a jerk when (trying to) answering a question?

Wifi was made with the different adjustable packets sizes, so the end user could adjust it to their needs...
WiFi is a means to transfer data (any size) wirelessly... as, to be broken down in packets, instead of one long stream; so, if errors were to occur it only has to resend a packet, instead of the complete data file.
It is (was) faster to recover from errors on a wired connection than a wireless, so the packets size specs were set to accommodate this.
Public and/or private has nothing to do with it... Wifi was made to transfer data (not just tiny files) from point A to point B wirelessly.

I transfer 200+MB files all the time over WiFi and do not have troubles... been doing it since wifi has existed. And, a healthy, well-made wifi device should have no problem with this.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
wifi is not made for that , at least you should use utorrent to do it and be sure the file has no error plus you ll be able to set the max kb/s for the transfer no to kill your router .
you could open the router and glue some radiators on the chips : http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=54_197

what? torrents with their multiple connections would be even harder than a single file transfer.

sounds like its overheating and dying to me, i've replaced many routers over the years that have done similar things. could be PSU or the router, if you cant afford to replace it make a fan blow over both.

it should be noted that i stream 5GB+ blu ray rips over my wifi network every single day, problem free (N600, dual band)

Wow... Do you need to be a jerk when (trying to) answering a question?

Wifi was made with the different adjustable packets sizes, so the end user could adjust it to their needs...
WiFi is a means to transfer data (any size) wirelessly... as, to be broken down in packets, instead of one long stream; so, if errors were to occur it only has to resend a packet, instead of the complete data file.
It is (was) faster to recover from errors on a wired connection than a wireless, so the packets size specs were set to accommodate this.
Public and/or private has nothing to do with it... Wifi was made to transfer data (not just tiny files) from point A to point B wirelessly.

I transfer 200+MB files all the time over WiFi and do not have troubles... been doing it since wifi has existed. And, a healthy, well-made wifi device should have no problem with this.
not a jerk because i wrote you should use your brain , a router like the one he has is cheap and is not made to handle that kind of operations : i mean sending packets resizing them all ...
old network cards up to 100mb/s can handle size max of 1500 , wifi can do 2300 while Gigabit cards can go up to 9000....
for the rest windows does not ask for a resend of packet in all case even if it has errors , while torrent does because the torrent file both users have , got info to check all bits of all files .

what? torrents with their multiple connections would be even harder than a single file transfer.

sounds like its overheating and dying to me, i've replaced many routers over the years that have done similar things. could be PSU or the router, if you cant afford to replace it make a fan blow over both.

it should be noted that i stream 5GB+ blu ray rips over my wifi network every single day, problem free (N600, dual band)
multiple connections to multiple peers but only one or two connections per pc .
i mean that when i transfer some files from the pc that does the web to the pc that has a lot of hard-drives of 2 Go for stocking . utorrent create one connection per ip : one for ipv4 plus one for ipv6 , both using half the bandwidth that is around 10 Mo/s or 100 Mb/s , the checking and writing on the hd reducing the speed .

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
multiple connections to multiple peers but only one or two connections per pc .
i mean that when i transfer some files from the pc that does the web to the pc that has a lot of hard-drives of 2 Go for stocking . utorrent create one connection per ip : one for ipv4 plus one for ipv6 , both using half the bandwidth that is around 10 Mo/s or 100 Mb/s , the checking and writing on the hd reducing the speed .

more connections = more processing power needed. simple as that. the best way to keep any network connection stable is to use as few connections as possible, which means higher speed per connection. i dont really get what your point is here.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Asoka Pluglinks (200Mbps manageable) netgear professional switches