1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there any pitfalls, problems with the first (rev 1) of Gigabytes windforce gtx 770 oc 4gb

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by gasolin, Jan 8, 2014.

1. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    I ordered this card in the 4gb version
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GeForce_GTX_770_WindForce_OC/32.html

It was a card that has been opend and therfore was cheaper,it was in mint condition, had to add the games in checkout, but i couldn't see any place to do it, so i am getting a card with no games i could play or sell.

I bought it very soon after i so it for sale at a lower price,so no one could buy it before me,also i wrote and asked if it was rev 1 or rev 2.

Same day they shipped it (bought sunday shipped tuesday) i got an email, it was rev 1 :(

Now to my question, Is there any pitfalls, problems with the first (rev 1) of Gigabytes windforce gtx 770 oc 4gb?
  2. TAZ007

Thanks Received:
    A second revision alway carries some fix of some sort, for example fan speed problems like the MSI cards had which later revisions fixed, in regards to the cards in question in not sure, but go to the web site and compare the two revisions
  3. Constantine Yevseyev

Constantine Yevseyev

Thanks Received:
    Well, I did some research about differences in between these two revisions, and it comes out that there's actually only one thing you should care about: the newer one's got two 8-pin connectors, while Rev. 1.0 is powered only via 6 + 8. To be honest, I don't think that card like GTX 770 needs any of that additional board power, unless you're going to overclock it like crazy (1250 MHz+), which is still possible with your current configuration.

So, my point is, if MSI, Zotac, ASUS and many others decided to power their versions of GTX 770 using only 6 + 8 pin, there's no critical need in additional watts driven to the GPU.

Keep an eye on the UEFI updates for your card, however. GIGABYTE will surely provide one if it's needed and it'll be available through "Support & Downloads" on your product's page (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4692#dl, "Download type" drop-down list).
  4. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    No strange problems with to high power usage,heat,high spinning fans,crashes do to bios or how it's made?
  5. gasolin

Thanks Received:
    Thought that was because of a new bios http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_280X_Gaming/25.html

MSI sent me an updated BIOS, which fixed the overheating and delivered very acceptable noise levels in the 33 dBA range.
  6. TAZ007

Thanks Received:
    Not everything can be fixed with a bios update, lots had the same problem as you, bios update helped some but not all, a good example would be the 7950, these were good overclockers until the second revision, in the second revision Amd decided to hardware lock the volts, so a bios flash would not be able to override that.

Reason they did that is because so many were getting better performing cards than the 7970 could, and to lower RMA due to over ambitious overclocks :)
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014