1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is there way to read the voltages the BIOS applies when set to AUTO on P5B-E?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Anusha, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    The titles says it all. Is there a way?

I have tried so hard to overclock my CPU to 3GHz and beyond, but failed many times until I put the FSB, ICH, PCI-E (I have set CPU to 1.3V, NB to 1.55, RAM to 1.9V manually) to AUTO.

But from my experience the AUTO setting sets a very high voltage on the CPU: like 1.5V for my current overclock.

Is there anyway to find out what the correct values now set are?

BTW, should the ICH and PCI-E voltages have to be increased to make an overclock stable? I'm at 425x7 at the moment. SuperPI Blend Test stable for almost 3 hours and still running. SmallFFT was stable for 4hours+ (yes, I know it is not enough, but the CPU isn't the culprit from what I have seen so far)

Also, I'm running 4x1GB Kingston ValueRAM 667 at 850MHz. Two of them have Hynix chips; other two have I don't know what! But they are identical pair wise. And they are stable at 858Mhz pair wise. But I have been getting errors in Blend Test. Maybe the mobo doesn't like the 4 slots filled? Maybe because they are not 100% identical? (When I installed same type in DIMM1 & 2 and DIMM3 & 4 - i.e. different types in each channel, it mobo can't find my HDDs....and combinations other than the current one make Blend test fail within a minute) :(

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    CPU-z, if downloaded and installed should read the CPU voltage at idle and at load.

Use something like the ATITool scan for artifacts (fuzzy cube) to load the system.

Also there is Everest to read the system voltages.

Can you loosen the timings on the ram any to try to regain stability? With different IC brands there shouldnt be that much of an issue to OC together, you just need to find timings that both sets can run well at!

Download memset 3.4 from here to read all the timings or just read them from the CPU-z memory tab.

3. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    I know the CPU voltages because I set it manually. And of course I use CPU-Z.

I want to know what the mobo sets for real, when I set the volts to AUTO. i.e. I have set AUTO for FSB Termination Voltage, ICH voltage and PCI-E voltage in BIOS. I want to know if AUTO == DEFAULT or not, and if not what those settings are. Any ideas?

4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I missunderstood. AFAIK I dont believe those 3 are readily available in most Voltage readings.

Hate to say it , but have you tried Asus probe?

5. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Actually I haven't. I hate it. Maybe it shows them. I can't remember. I will try it.

6. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    AISuite or Asus Probe II doesn't show those values :(

7. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    HW monitor is also a good program to use as it displays more voltage read outs than cpu-z. it will show temps of hardware as well.

8. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    Actually Everest shows more voltages. But none of them show the voltages that I want. :(

9. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    im aware of everest and i have used it. i like everest. it does show pretty much everything you need but it isnt free.

Anusha says thanks.
  10. Anusha

Anusha

Thanks Received:
    I just wanna use it for trial purposes.
    Anyway, I think I figured out the voltages it uses! It used max voltages! (because my overclock was over 50%) That was overkill. I found out stable settings for the system. Was stable on Prime blend test for 8 hours. Had to stop it. Will run it more later and see if it is really stable.

11. Spacegoast

Thanks Received:
    cool man. glad everything worked out