1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this a "normal" temperature of the cpu?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by SaiZo, May 22, 2011.

1. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    The system (case temperature?) reads 38C / 100F.
    And the cpu reads 31C / 87F. Is this a normal temperature??

I think the room temperature is somewhere around 25 - 30C.. The sun has been on this side of the room wall during the day, making the room a bit warmer than the other rooms

I have just added an extra fan to blow out the hot air behind the power supply, since it comes with one fan only. This seems to work, i can feel that hot air getting a bit cooler.

The 120 fan that came with the case (rear fan) was exchanged to a better one, that is controlled by an external potentiometer.

Also, I did at to the "duct" thing on the case door an extra fan to suck in cool air and blow that to the cpu (if this is a stupid mistake, please let me know..). Normally that plastic duct does not reach the top of the heatsink/fan combo completely, but when I added an extra fan it did reach. The fan that was added there does not operate on 12v right now, it operates at around 5v, I did solder on an external fan control to it aswell - just in case.

The case is a mystiq coolmaster.

I wish that the motherboard would have had more fan headers, can only connect one extra fan to the system, which I think is a bit bad. Can I connect more than one fan to the "system fan header" (not the CPU header)?

(System has been under load for some time now - doing some work).

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Add 8-10C to the cpu core temps(thuban sensors are always off). So ~38C for system ambient sounds about right.

SaiZo says thanks.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    85C on an AMD chip would be near death.

SaiZo and Velvet Wafer say thanks.
  4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    thats fine for an idle temp, what are your load temps like?

SaiZo says thanks.
  5. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Stock cooler really is not good enough IMHO especially in a poorly ventilated case.

Ducting sounds like winning. One thing I loved about old package PCs. (Only thing really) Get yourself a nice 3rd party top down cooler and mount the duct straight to the intake fan. :) If your case allows for other intakes and exhausts add them.

SaiZo says thanks.
  6. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for them replies. I actually removed some fan(s), and the temperature dropped, thought it would be the other way around..

Under load (not GPU related) the system goes maybe max 34C, seen it once only. But I had several programs running at the same time then. Otherwise it stays around the 30's most of the time under load. However, if I set the CPU fan to 100% the temperature actually goes up.. Now that has left me clueless - thought that it should be different.

Today the CPU temp is around 28 ~ 30.

I would like to invest in watercooling one day, but too scared that bad luck might strike me. Had water cooling once, think it was from Thermaltake or something like that. The pump died one day, so did that cpu aswell.

7. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I did this, and the temperature went up. Then I removed that fan (leaving the duct where it was - about 1" from the CPU fan), and it went to normal temps.

One thing however I found out was that, when I adjusted the speed on the fan connected to this duct to a higher speed - the speed of the CPU fan itself went up.

The extra fan that was used for this "experiment" is from another computer, and looks more like a turbine than a normal fan. Yes, I know that the stock cooler isn't much, but it is all I have right now. The guy at the hardware store had a cooler the same time I was purchasing the parts, never heard of it however "Alpenföhn Brocken".

It comes with one 120 fan, and can easily mount an extra on the other side. When I was in town on saturday asking for it, someone else had bought it already.

8. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    thuban is fine till 100c.

this straight from an AMD rep. (i know you said near, im just giving additional information.)

SaiZo and JrRacinFan say thanks.
  9. claylomax

claylomax

Thanks Received:
    SaiZo says thanks.
  10. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    or you could just get all ghetto with scissors and electrical tape :p

That's what i did, but then i sleeved them, so not so ghetto any more.

SaiZo says thanks.
  11. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    Thanks again. I do not think there is anything directly wrong with the heatsink from AMD. It is the fan that is ridiculous - I mean, just look at it, so small. But hey, it comes with heatpipes (sceptic about stuff like that but..). Ok, so either a better CPU fan, fan controller or get the soldering iron out when I get better.

12. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    thats why we always hear lower is better and it works on this

SaiZo says thanks.
  13. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    I actually find that Core Temp shows the temps incorrect, whilst the supplied program shows it correctly i.e: Core Temp say 21C, and MSI control center say 31C. Restart of system - enter BIOS and it is 31C there aswell.

After have read by not only JrRacingFan, but others aswell, I need to know, "why" are the Thuban sensors "off"? Is this a human error, or is it that the sensor is located in an incorrect position??