• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this old Biostar tp67b+ chipset dying?

So it has been forever since i have been on last but i wanted to come to a community I know is welcoming. I have an old Tp67b+ mobo with a i5 2300 and 16gb of Corsair Vengeance @1600 and a 430w psu. (no gpu)

Not that the specs matter too much, but windows wont boot with 4 HDDS. It will with any variation of the OS disk + 2 others. I had issues where the optical drive stopped reading and writing a while back, and the system refused to boot because it was plugged into the sata 6 port on another occasion. I haven't gotten a chance to flash the bios because i read somewhere that its possible the bios update will kill the bios itself. I think the chipset is eating drives, however. The system lost the os disk last year, so I bought a new WD black 1tb, which is now clicking and clunking, and has a bad sector warning.

I wanted to see if anyone thinks it would be worth finding a new motherboard, or if I should investigate something else.

The machine is for my mothers business, and I built it before I went to school thinking I wouldn't have to support it until I'm back, and speak of the devil, here I am. So any $ I put into this dumb thing is my own money, since my mother is a bit stingy on a pc investment right now.

I personally built a 16 bay 4u (or 3u? can't remember) server that I would like to put all of the external and internal disks into and host over the lan, but I need a raid card that can support all of the bays.

Processor 3900X 4.425
Motherboard X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Galahad 360 push-pull
Memory 2x16gb Crucial Ballistix MAX 4400
Video Card(s) Asus Dual 3060 Ti OC
Storage Optane 280gb PCI-E
Display(s) PG348Q
Case Core X71
Audio Device(s) ATOLL DAC 100SE, Sony DN1070 - Dali Ikon 1 MK2, Presonus Studio 192, Line 6 POD HD rack, Audix VX10
Power Supply AX1500i
Mouse Pulsar Xlite wireless white
Keyboard Leopold FC980C 30g white
Software Win 10 Pro
You aren't the first to say that.. I pulled a drive out to run it from my router over usb and it took a while for the disk itself to start spinning for some reason... although when i had it in the system, it was fine if it was one of the 3.. I don't have another PSU to test this right now, but I'll makeshift something..