1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is this upgrade worth?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gygabite, Jun 11, 2006.

1. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all!
    After 1 week relaxing holidays i saw that the hardware prices (especially socket 939) were decreasing much.
    So would it be worth to get another 512 mb ram stick, a good oc mainboard(around 80€) and a 939 processor for arond 200€(a 3700+ or 3800+ or X2 3800+)?

2. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why not, but you can also go AM2, they're about the same price, but you would have to get enw memory (DDR2) and such.

3. NamesDontMatter

Thanks Received:
    Don't go am2 you'll just have to buy a new processor might as well build a new PC. Going AM2 for a small upgrade is completely stupid, If your doing a full upgrade like that simply wait for conroe or K8L.

Honestly with your setup I recomend a new sound card and 512mb of ram, thats all you need really for now. Your will find a suprising FPS boost from a new sound card (X-FI) Do you really NEED to upgrade. I suggest waiting a little longer to see what happens with conroe and see what AMD does POST AM2.

4. Azn Tr14dZ New Member

Thanks Received:
    You get a good frame boost w/ the X-Fi, if you're playing at low resolutions like 640x480. But when you play at 1280x1024, you barely get a boost at all.

5. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    i cant upgrade 1 stick, 754's have 3 ram slots maximum, but which 939 mainboard is good?
    it has to rum 4 sticks in dual channel and in ddr400. any suggestions?

6. markkleb Guest

NO, your comp is fine. And you have plenty of memory.

Wait till you see whats happening with DX10, Vista, Conroe before spending money.

7. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    So what would be a good oc mainboard? I've hard from the Biostar T-force4U, but i have also heard that it can only run 2 of 4 ram slots in dual channel

8. markkleb Guest

I have the Tforce (the ATX and the Micro ver) and they are OK, If u are gonna OC get a DFI..

As per my first post I would not upgrade your comp. I dont think you will see a big dif. But if you just have to, I would go with the AM2 since you need a mobo, cpu, and want more mem.

try for a Dual core if you can afford it.

9. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree with markkleb. Unless you just really, really want to upgrade I would wait about half a year and build a new system with a DX10 graphics card and all the other new goodies.

10. gygabite

gygabite New Member

Thanks Received:
    k, convinced
    saving the money for a wii-console is much better :)