1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is Vista worth installing?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by NONYA, Jan 19, 2008.

1. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there anything to gain from going from XP to Vista?I have some older games I play that may not work on Vista and Im wondering if its worth the install,I have it,can I revert back to XP easily if it makes all my games inoperabnle?Thanx.
  2. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    i wouldn't get vista unless you want to use dx10(.1)
  3. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Another thing i Have Vista Home,basic,premium,and ultimate,whats the difference?
  4. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    it wont work with dx9?
  5. sladesurfer

sladesurfer New Member

Thanks Received:
    may i know the reason? Been using vista for a year now and im never going back to XP again. EVER!
    Demos_sav says thanks.
  6. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    So whats better on Vista?Can you revert without loosing your files?
  7. FatForester New Member

Thanks Received:
    It really depends on what's right for you. If you've got a hard drive you can use to fool with it, give it a shot and see if you like it. OS choice is really based on your own preference, so you'll never know for sure until you give it a try.
  8. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    I made the switch from XP 32 bit to Vista Premium 64 bit and I haven't looked back. Much more stable that XP IMO, so yeah, i would go with Vista. If you have it, then go with ultimate.
  9. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    You mean I can install it on my 2nd HD without messing up my xp install on my 1st?
  10. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have been told that if you run Vista in admin mode all the games work,do you have to install it in a special way?
  11. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    There were driver issues at release of Vista but now most of them have been fixed, there has also been a lot of patches and fixes for Vista.

Performance isnt that much of a drop if you have a good system.

The key is that Vista is a next gen OS that requires next gen systems to run.

Its not like a ATi Radeon 9600 pro is going to run COD 4 or Bioshock so i guess there is no need to have Vista if you have a low system.

Vista is a lot better in some respects like it is a lot nicer to look at a lota lot better interface some tweaks here and there. Once youve used it you will want to keep using because there is no point in going back to XP you get used to Vista you get used to the benefits and small differnces.

The only thing is that you need a decent pc to run Vista, for ordinary apps like word processing it runs fine but when playing games and compressing ect it takes a small hit.
  12. EddxPT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I saw on your system specs that u are using 2 gigs of ram, You would be fine with vista, specially with service pack1 (release candidate still, but soon the sp1 will be out). Perhaps adding 2 more gigs of ram (same brand type and specs would be better) would ensure you a smoother experience using Vista 64 ( all the games i have tried so far worked pretty much the same in vista as in xp). The migration program works quite well from my experience so you wouldn't in principle loose your files which are stored under the user folders ( my documents folder).

From my experience it is worth switching for vista if u have the hardware to run it smoothly. Vista caches the programs in to memory ( prefetching ) so that the launch time is allot faster for the programs that microsoft defined to be prefetched to memory upon boot. Also vista UAC can be a pain in the ass, but can be disabled in a easy way if u get bored from it.

DX9 vs DX10 is a big question, but don't be worried about that, if u don't own an SLI or Crossfire arrangement, with a decent monitor ( 22' ) then Dx10 shouldn't be of much concern for u.

Hope this helps !!
  13. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanx guys,has anyone tried to uninstall it?Just worried that I cant go back if I run into a PROBLEM WITHOUT REFORMATTING hd.
  14. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    I think the best way is to change 1st boot drive. This would mean changing the BIOS to select which drive boots 1st. this way when you reinstall one OS it should not make a mess of the other.
  15. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    So switch bios to boot from HD #2,install on HD #2 and try that?Wil my programs on HD#1 still operate?
  16. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is Vista Ultimate better than Home pro?
  17. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Vista is only worth it if you're a serious PC gamer and want DX 10. :toast:

If you decide to get Vista don't settle for anything other than Vista Ultimate 64-bit. ;)
  18. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    IF all your games and apps are installed on HDD1 there should not be any problem with any. Is HDD1 just one partition ?.

HDD1 has XP
    HDD2 Vista
  19. NONYA

NONYA New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes one partition,i already have Vista in the 3 different versions,just wondering wich one is beat,i guess Ultimate?will having XP on HD#2 cause a prob?
  20. Snipe343

Snipe343

Thanks Received:
    its jsut like installing xp, just its vista, most older games can run it jsut requires some tweaking
  21. Cold Storm

Cold Storm Battosai

Thanks Received:
    Vista Ultimate

Ultimate is the top of the line man. It runs great and i love it to death! I have the x86 version and in heaven. I have the media center set up with my xbox and my tv it self! I'm one happy person! and I think you will to!
  22. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    You can have it either way around... IF XP is on HDD2 that will be just fine. Just remember which disk is which when installing each OS to each HDD. Maybe unplug the HDD2 ( Current XP install ) to make sure you don't install the wrong OS to the wrong HDD.

Naming your HDD will help too.
  23. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    go Xp x64 .. if u have a x64 proc and wait out ...
  24. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Vista Ultimate is like the BMW 7 series compared to the BMW 5 Series (Home). Sure they both have DX 10, but Ultimate (hence the title) has all of the bells and whistles plus some. ;) However, BMW is a somewhat bad comparison imo, simply because your comparing a reliable car to a not-so-reliable piece of software. So lets use this comparison instead... a Ford F-150 (home) compared to the Ford F-350 King Ranch (ultimate). There, that works better.
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    Ultimate has nothing useful over home premium,unless you want the crappy dreamscene.All the other stuff thats comes with ultimate is pretty useless for a home user.